Poirot - Taken At The Flood by Agatha…

Poirot - Taken At The Flood (original 1948; edition 2008)

by Agatha Christie

Member:verazasulich
Title:Poirot - Taken At The Flood
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:HarperCollins (2008), Edition: Masterpiece edition (Reissue), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, detective, christie

Taken at the Flood by Agatha Christie (Author) (1948)

English (27)  French (3)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (33)
In my house a road trip is synonymous with Agatha Christie and a classic Hercule Poirot novel read by Hugh Fraser. My husband and I listened to Taken at The Flood during our one week trip around the southeast. We had actually tried to listen to this book in December as part of our bowl game excursion, but it just didn’t catch our attention. So we tried again to much greater success. In fact, this twisting mystery took both of us by surprise! Recommended.

Hercule Poirot makes a brief appearance in the beginning of Taken at The Flood, but does not play a major role in the story until way past the halfway point. Christie uses the majority of the book to set up the backstory of the Cloade family — their relationships, personalities, and varied motives. I actually liked this quite a bit. My husband was, however, impatient for the mystery-solving to begin. The mystery takes quite a few turns, and more than one dead person shows up. The ending is tied up in classic Poirot style, and we were pleasantly surprised. We did not see it coming!

If you are a fan of classic mysteries, I recommend Taken at The Flood. Just be patient for the amazing Poirot’s appearance.

Recommended.

Audience: adults.

(I purchased the audiobook from Audible. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Mar 4, 2019 |
In which a young trophy wife finds herself left with a fortune – and a family who may be out for blood.

A thoroughly average Christie, but a step up from the worst. There’s nothing to make "Taken at the Flood" stand out, but finally, there’s nothing terrible either. Like many of the best Christie novels, we’re very clearly in 1944, giving us a good sense of where both Poirot and the world are situated.

The murder itself is quite contrived (even the usually reliable David Suchet TV series couldn’t do much with this one), but the characters are varied and relatively strong, making this a decent, if not absorbing, read.

Incidentally, several novels had their titles changed when first published in America. (So far, I’ve never heard very good reasons.) This is – I think – the only title substitution which doesn’t completely suck. "Taken at the Flood" was changed to another quote from the same Shakespeare speech (from Julius Caesar): "There Is A Tide".

Poirot ranking: 31st out of 38 ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
I was not fond of this particular story. i don't know why, but I never seemed to care about any of the characters. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
Well plotted mystery featuring Poirot. Well drawn characters and unexpected plot twist. Identities are the key and no one is quite what they claim.
  ritaer | Mar 25, 2017 |
The US title for There is a Tide is "Taken by the Flood." It looses its dramatic appeal from Shakespeare's words: "There is a tide in the affairs of men, Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat. And we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures." Notwithstanding, this is one of the best Poirot stories I have read so far. Poirot's presence is very sparse, but the story is weaved so adroitly and smoothly you won't miss him much. Incidentally, the movie Taken at the Flood with David Suchet as Poirot, didn't do the story justice. Despite that eye-candy, Elliot Cowan, as David Hunter, the movie peeled off the many layers of mystery and suspense Christie built so carefully throughout her book. Read the book, watch the movie and I believe you might agree with me. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |

Soncelli, GiovannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Teason, WilliamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vieira, Cora RónaiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Waring, DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures.
In every club there is a club bore.
aka There Is a Tide

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042506803X, Mass Market Paperback)

When a widow tries to collect on her inheritance, her late husband's family is unpleasantly surprised. They're even more horrified by the news that this lovely stranger may be a bigamist. Now murder shakes the family tree, and it's time for Hercule Poirot to investigate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:49 -0400)

A few weeks after marrying an attractive young widow, Gordon Cloade is tragically killed by a bomb blast in the London blitz. Overnight, the former Mrs. Underhay finds herself in sole possession of the Cloade family fortune. Shortly afterwards, Hercule Poirot receives a visit from the dead man's sister-in-law, who claims she has been warned by 'spirits' that Mrs. Underhay's first husband is still alive. Yet, what mystifies Poirot most is the woman's true motive for approaching him.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,366,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible