There Is a Tide (1948) by Agatha Christie

There Is a Tide (1948) (original 1948; edition 1987)

by Agatha Christie (Author)

Member:RedQueen
Title:There Is a Tide (1948)
Authors:Agatha Christie (Author)
Info:Bantam Books (1987) Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Mystery, Favorites
Tags:classic British, detective, Hercule Poirot, mystery, England, 12, Golden Age

Taken at the Flood by Agatha Christie (1948)

English (23)  French (3)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  English (29)
The US title for There is a Tide is "Taken by the Flood." It looses its dramatic appeal from Shakespeare's words: "There is a tide in the affairs of men, Which taken at the flood, leads on to fortune. Omitted, all the voyage of their life is bound in shallows and in miseries. On such a full sea are we now afloat. And we must take the current when it serves, or lose our ventures." Notwithstanding, this is one of the best Poirot stories I have read so far. Poirot's presence is very sparse, but the story is weaved so adroitly and smoothly you won't miss him much. Incidentally, the movie Taken at the Flood with David Suchet as Poirot, didn't do the story justice. Despite that eye-candy, Elliot Cowan, as David Hunter, the movie peeled off the many layers of mystery and suspense Christie built so carefully throughout her book. Read the book, watch the movie and I believe you might agree with me. ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
An interesting mystery with lots of twists and turns.
  rosiezbanks | Oct 29, 2016 |
Much better than the Poirot TV adaptation (which stands alone well enough) Great character development and Poirot does not appear until the middle of the books so patience is required. ( )
  nadineeg | Jul 2, 2016 |
Taken at the Flood - Agatha Christie
audio version performed by Hugh Fraser

3 stars
At first I was very attracted to this post WWII, Poirot mystery. I liked that Christie worked details of the war and it’s aftermath into her story. The plot is complicated with many characters and the usual red herrings. I liked the literary introduction of an ‘Enoch Arden’ character with its resulting complications. There were some surprises and a satisfying conclusion for at least one of the evil doers.

……………..spoiler…………………spoiler………………………………………….

But as usual, Christie is disappointing in the romance department. More than disappointing, this time. I do realize that attitudes have changed since 1948. However, I can’t see how anyone, at any time, could find it acceptable to marry off the female protagonist to a man who nearly strangled her in a jealous rage. Christie seems to approve. This character feels that marriage to a man with a potential for violence will mitigate the boredom of becoming a farmer’s wife. It isn’t the fact that she wrote a character who made this choice. It’s that she wrote a strong rationalization for why it was a good choice. Just one step shy of,’Well you know, she asked for it’.
I think I’m off Agatha Christie for a while.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Complicated at first, with a large cast list of relatives, but once it got going it was an enjoyable book. A fairly typical Hercule Poirot light crime novel. The ending was perhaps a little unrealistic, but overall a good light read.

Seven years later, I read 'Taken at the Flood', with no idea that it was the same book with a different title. I did not remember it at all... but felt much the same. Not a bad book, but I would not have guessed the ending. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures.
In every club there is a club bore.
aka There Is a Tide

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042506803X, Mass Market Paperback)

When a widow tries to collect on her inheritance, her late husband's family is unpleasantly surprised. They're even more horrified by the news that this lovely stranger may be a bigamist. Now murder shakes the family tree, and it's time for Hercule Poirot to investigate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:49 -0400)

A few weeks after marrying an attractive young widow, Gordon Cloade is tragically killed by a bomb blast in the London blitz. Overnight, the former Mrs. Underhay finds herself in sole possession of the Cloade family fortune. Shortly afterwards, Hercule Poirot receives a visit from the dead man's sister-in-law, who claims she has been warned by 'spirits' that Mrs. Underhay's first husband is still alive. Yet, what mystifies Poirot most is the woman's true motive for approaching him.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,720,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible