There Is a Tide by Agatha Christie

There Is a Tide (original 1948; edition 1987)

by Agatha Christie

Member:RedQueen
Title:There Is a Tide
Authors:Agatha Christie (Author)
Info:Bantam Books (1987) Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Mystery, Favorites
Tags:classic British, detective, Hercule Poirot, mystery, England, 12

Taken at the Flood by Agatha Christie (1948)

English (12)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (17)
I normally love Agatha Christie, but this was shit shit shit. Its Hercule Poirot, but he really only enters the story midway through. The first half of the book is about these hate-able characters (all of them) having problems with love and money. Then some people are murdered, and its very obvious who's done what, except for the major twist which you couldn't see coming because the evidence was something Poirot noticed, but it wasn't mentioned in words and twists like that are shitty. And then in the end Poirot gets the people together and baffles them all with his incredible perception and solves the case and the people meant to live happily ever after do, and the bad guy dies. Very disappointing. ( )
  allisonneke | Dec 17, 2013 |
Very good. Chilling villain and rather bizarre end for one of the couples though but the penultimate scene with Poirot insisting on having coffee with three of the suspects is priceless. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
a/k/a There is a Tide
  MissJessie | Oct 16, 2013 |
"When you caught hold of me by the throat and said if I wasn't for you, no one should have me - well - I knew then that I was your woman!"

Be still my wife-beating heart. ( )
  amelish | Sep 12, 2013 |
Gordon Cloade is the wealthiest member of his family. He assures his siblings and their spouses and children that he will always be there to provide for them, even when he is gone. Unfortunately, he is gone too soon, killed during the Blitz, and even worse, he married shortly before his death and did not make another will, so all of his estate passes to his wife. If the relatives felt murderous, she could be in grave danger. But how surprising when a murder occurs and she is not the victim…

This was one of those Agathas where she presents all of the clues, but it's not until Poirot explains his deductions that you shout at the book, "AUGH! That's so obvious! How did I not notice?!" Poirot seems to take a leaf out of Miss Marple's book in this one, focusing more on village gossip as his way of ferreting out the truth. He works alone, too; no Hastings to stumble onto vital clues or make seemingly obtuse but actually brilliant observations.

Warning: this paragraph contains spoilers

The only thing I had a problem with was the very end, where Rowley threatens to kill his fiancée, Lynn, and apparently that's what ends up convincing her that she ought to marry him after all…? She had entertained thoughts of leaving him because he was too "safe" and dull for her after her experiences during the war, but then when she said she was leaving him for someone else he tried to strangle her and said that "if he couldn't have her, nobody could." That is unspeakably creepy and soured the book for me, happening as it did on pretty much the last page.

End of spoilers

I'd recommend this for the Agatha fans and those who like post-WW2 mysteries. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Jan 24, 2013 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures.
In every club there is a club bore.
aka There Is a Tide

Warmsley Vale.
To all appearances, it was just another sleepy English village shaken up by a series of bizarre coincidences...or were they cunningly deliberate crimes?
A young bride - just two weeks a widow - was made a sole heir to an enormous fortune.
A mysterious stranger met a brutal end...
and that dapper detective Hercule Poirot found himself on a trail as baffling as any he had ever encountered.
----------------

"There is one thing I would like to know very much," Poirot mused. "Why is Rosaleen Cloade afraid? It is for her life that she is afraid."
"Good Lord," exclaimed Spence, "you don't think - "
"I think this," replied Poirot. "Rosaleen is twenty-six. She may live to be seventy. She may live longer still. Forty-four years, let us say. Don't you think, Superintendent, that forty-four years may be too long for someone to contemplate?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042506803X, Mass Market Paperback)

When a widow tries to collect on her inheritance, her late husband's family is unpleasantly surprised. They're even more horrified by the news that this lovely stranger may be a bigamist. Now murder shakes the family tree, and it's time for Hercule Poirot to investigate.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:18 -0400)

A few weeks after marrying an attractive young widow, Gordon Cloade is tragically killed by a bomb blast in the London blitz. Overnight, the former Mrs. Underhay finds herself in sole possession of the Cloade family fortune. Shortly afterwards, Hercule Poirot receives a visit from the dead man's sister-in-law, who claims she has been warned by 'spirits' that Mrs. Underhay's first husband is still alive. Yet, what mystifies Poirot most is the woman's true motive for approaching him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,379,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible