There Is a Tide (1948) by Agatha Christie

There Is a Tide (1948) (original 1948; edition 1987)

by Agatha Christie

Member:RedQueen
Title:There Is a Tide (1948)
Authors:Agatha Christie (Author)
Info:Bantam Books (1987) Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Mystery, Favorites
Tags:classic British, detective, Hercule Poirot, mystery, England, 12, Golden Age

Taken at the Flood by Agatha Christie (1948)

English (21)  French (3)  Spanish (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (27)
Much better than the Poirot TV adaptation (which stands alone well enough) Great character development and Poirot does not appear until the middle of the books so patience is required. ( )
  nadineeg | Jul 2, 2016 |
Taken at the Flood - Agatha Christie
audio version performed by Hugh Fraser

3 stars
At first I was very attracted to this post WWII, Poirot mystery. I liked that Christie worked details of the war and it’s aftermath into her story. The plot is complicated with many characters and the usual red herrings. I liked the literary introduction of an ‘Enoch Arden’ character with its resulting complications. There were some surprises and a satisfying conclusion for at least one of the evil doers.

……………..spoiler…………………spoiler………………………………………….

But as usual, Christie is disappointing in the romance department. More than disappointing, this time. I do realize that attitudes have changed since 1948. However, I can’t see how anyone, at any time, could find it acceptable to marry off the female protagonist to a man who nearly strangled her in a jealous rage. Christie seems to approve. This character feels that marriage to a man with a potential for violence will mitigate the boredom of becoming a farmer’s wife. It isn’t the fact that she wrote a character who made this choice. It’s that she wrote a strong rationalization for why it was a good choice. Just one step shy of,’Well you know, she asked for it’.
I think I’m off Agatha Christie for a while.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Complicated at first, with a large cast list of relatives, but once it got going it was an enjoyable book. A fairly typical Hercule Poirot light crime novel. The ending was perhaps a little unrealistic, but overall a good light read.

Seven years later, I read 'Taken at the Flood', with no idea that it was the same book with a different title. I did not remember it at all... but felt much the same. Not a bad book, but I would not have guessed the ending. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
The trouble with reading some of the Poirot & Miss Marple books is the number of them that have been televised and therefore I have a preconception of what will happen. The good thing is that quite often the TV adaptation has diverged from the book and that means that you can still enjoy the read.

The biggest difference between this book and the TV version is that Poirot is on screen 99% of the time yet in the book, he hardly features until halfway through and, of course, there's no Hastings! There are one or two other changes, but the main plot is still the same, so sadly I knew roughly what would happen & 'whodunit', but it was still enjoyable and still an easy diversion after struggling a little with my previous read.

It's the usual comments: if you like Agatha Christie, then you'll like this book, it's up to her usual standards and as always, captures the period. If you're looking for a nice easy (& quick) read, this is perfect. ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |

Gordon Cloade was killed two weeks after his marriage to a much younger woman in a bombing Blitz of London. He died without evidence of a will, so although he promised to leave everything to his niece, nephew, sister & her husband & brother & his wife.... his widow inherits EVERYTHING.....

Rosaleen Cloade is now a widow twice over, but is she really..... there are mummers around London that her first husband did not actually die in Africa, but faked his death....

Her brother is frantic for Rosaleen to hold on to her inheritance, which he greatly benefits from, but Rosaleen has a conscience and sees no problem w/ helping out the Cloade family.

Meanwhile, a man appears in town & claims to know that Rosaleen's first husband is still living... he is killed, and then Rosaleen dies, of poisoning.....

Everyone had reason to want one or the other or both dead......

Did I like this? More or less, I've read better & I've read much worse.

I liked that M. Poirot did not enter the story until much later in the story and his ego seemed subdued for a change.

I did not particularly like the Cloades and I particularly disliked Rosaleen's brother..... I loathed Christie's hateful & prejudice interjections..... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures.
In every club there is a club bore.
aka There Is a Tide

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042506803X, Mass Market Paperback)

When a widow tries to collect on her inheritance, her late husband's family is unpleasantly surprised. They're even more horrified by the news that this lovely stranger may be a bigamist. Now murder shakes the family tree, and it's time for Hercule Poirot to investigate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:49 -0400)

A few weeks after marrying an attractive young widow, Gordon Cloade is tragically killed by a bomb blast in the London blitz. Overnight, the former Mrs. Underhay finds herself in sole possession of the Cloade family fortune. Shortly afterwards, Hercule Poirot receives a visit from the dead man's sister-in-law, who claims she has been warned by 'spirits' that Mrs. Underhay's first husband is still alive. Yet, what mystifies Poirot most is the woman's true motive for approaching him.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,196,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible