There Is a Tide by Agatha Christie

There Is a Tide (original 1948; edition 1987)

by Agatha Christie

Member:RedQueen
Title:There Is a Tide
Authors:Agatha Christie (Author)
Info:Bantam Books (1987) Hardcover
Collections:Your library, Mystery, Favorites
Tags:classic British, detective, Hercule Poirot, mystery, England, 12, Golden Age

Taken at the Flood by Agatha Christie (1948)

Recently added bySchlachter, private library, cap43, aoifekerr, SueinCyprus, a004358
Legacy LibrariesRobert Ranke Graves

English (19)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (24)
Complicated at first, with a large cast list of relatives, but once it got going it was an enjoyable book. A fairly typical Hercule Poirot light crime novel. The ending was perhaps a little unrealistic, but overall a good light read.

Seven years later, I read 'Taken at the Flood', with no idea that it was the same book with a different title. I did not remember it at all... but felt much the same. Not a bad book, but I would not have guessed the ending. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
The trouble with reading some of the Poirot & Miss Marple books is the number of them that have been televised and therefore I have a preconception of what will happen. The good thing is that quite often the TV adaptation has diverged from the book and that means that you can still enjoy the read.

The biggest difference between this book and the TV version is that Poirot is on screen 99% of the time yet in the book, he hardly features until halfway through and, of course, there's no Hastings! There are one or two other changes, but the main plot is still the same, so sadly I knew roughly what would happen & 'whodunit', but it was still enjoyable and still an easy diversion after struggling a little with my previous read.

It's the usual comments: if you like Agatha Christie, then you'll like this book, it's up to her usual standards and as always, captures the period. If you're looking for a nice easy (& quick) read, this is perfect. ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |

Gordon Cloade was killed two weeks after his marriage to a much younger woman in a bombing Blitz of London. He died without evidence of a will, so although he promised to leave everything to his niece, nephew, sister & her husband & brother & his wife.... his widow inherits EVERYTHING.....

Rosaleen Cloade is now a widow twice over, but is she really..... there are mummers around London that her first husband did not actually die in Africa, but faked his death....

Her brother is frantic for Rosaleen to hold on to her inheritance, which he greatly benefits from, but Rosaleen has a conscience and sees no problem w/ helping out the Cloade family.

Meanwhile, a man appears in town & claims to know that Rosaleen's first husband is still living... he is killed, and then Rosaleen dies, of poisoning.....

Everyone had reason to want one or the other or both dead......

Did I like this? More or less, I've read better & I've read much worse.

I liked that M. Poirot did not enter the story until much later in the story and his ego seemed subdued for a change.

I did not particularly like the Cloades and I particularly disliked Rosaleen's brother..... I loathed Christie's hateful & prejudice interjections..... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Family murder a la Styles and Hercule Poirot's Christmas with usual gaggle of sponging relatives as suspects, but the setting (battered, economically depressed postwar Britain--air raids, ration cards, and hard-up veterans all play a role) adds to the old ingredients an unexpected (for Christie) flavor of worldweary cynicism suggestive of noir. The solution to the mystery, if overly complex, is vintage Christie in its neat reversal of the reader's assumptions. But all is rather spoiled by the improbably "happy" ending Poirot (and Christie) laboriously contrive for a particularly repulsive character. But definitely recommended--this is vintage Christie that the casual fan is likely to have overlooked.

Other thoughts:

-The narrative downright cheats by referring to an impostor by "their" assumed name--definitely not sporting, Dame Agatha! The same thing happens in After the Funeral. There are ways around this--look at how ingeniously Christie contrives to be scrupulously fair and still fool us about a certain character's true identity in A Murder is Announced.

-Poirot, after an early appearance, is absent for half the book; this was becoming increasingly Christie's habit in the 40s (Sad Cypress, The Hollow, etc.).

-I don't recall Poirot's Catholic beliefs (or the subject of Catholicism generally) figuring so prominently in any other Christie. ( )
  middlemarchhare | Nov 25, 2015 |
A typical Agatha Christie. Twists galore, but clues enough if you can spot them. ( )
  cazfrancis | Sep 16, 2015 |

Agatha Christieprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is a tide in the affairs of men,
Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
Omitted, all the voyage of their life
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
On such a full sea are we now afloat,
And we must take the current when it serves,
Or lose our ventures.
In every club there is a club bore.
aka There Is a Tide

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042506803X, Mass Market Paperback)

When a widow tries to collect on her inheritance, her late husband's family is unpleasantly surprised. They're even more horrified by the news that this lovely stranger may be a bigamist. Now murder shakes the family tree, and it's time for Hercule Poirot to investigate.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:49 -0400)

A few weeks after marrying an attractive young widow, Gordon Cloade is tragically killed by a bomb blast in the London blitz. Overnight, the former Mrs. Underhay finds herself in sole possession of the Cloade family fortune. Shortly afterwards, Hercule Poirot receives a visit from the dead man's sister-in-law, who claims she has been warned by 'spirits' that Mrs. Underhay's first husband is still alive. Yet, what mystifies Poirot most is the woman's true motive for approaching him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,160,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible