The Amber Room: A Novel by Steve Berry

The Amber Room: A Novel (original 2003; edition 2007)

by Steve Berry

Member:janaelakey
Title:The Amber Room: A Novel
Authors:Steve Berry
Info:Ballantine Books (2007), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages

The Amber Room by Steve Berry (2003)

Map of Bones by James Rollins (Anonymous user)

English (45)  Spanish (1)  All languages (46)
Not Steve Berry's best, but as it was his first novel we can forgive him that. Otherwise a great jaunt with plenty of action and twists and turns. I enjoy books like this, based around real historical events - you can learn something along the way. ( )
  adam.currey | May 5, 2019 |
Eindelijk uit. Weet niet waarom het zo lang duurde. Op de een of andere manier kwam ik maar niet in het verhaal, terwijl het toch wel een aardig plot was.

Het zal wel aan mij gelegen hebben. ( )
  EdwinKort | Nov 6, 2018 |
Best part about this was that I'd never heard of the Amber room and it was very cool to go look it up and find out it?s a true bit of folk lore. ( )
  Kim_Sasso | Mar 14, 2018 |
An enjoyable book, but my least favourite one by Steve Berry. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
From Amazon:

The Amber Room is one of the greatest treasures ever made by man: an entire room forged of exquisite amber, from its four massive walls to its finely crafted furniture. But it is also the subject of one of history’s most intriguing mysteries. Originally commissioned in 1701 by Frederick I of Prussia, the Room was later perfected Tsarskoe Selo, the Russian imperial city. In 1941, German troops invaded the Soviet Union, looting everything in their wake and seizing the Amber Room. When the Allies began the bombing of Germany in August 1944, the Room was hidden. And despite the best efforts of treasure hunters and art collectors from around the world, it has never been seen again. Now, two powerful men have set their best operatives loose in pursuit, and the hunt has begun once more.

My Thoughts:

There are many twists and turns in this action packed thriller, and a lot of historical information is woven into the fabric of this intricately plotted novel. I was hooked once I read the gripping prologue that sets the tone for the book. I found that I simply could not stop turning the pages of this engrossing thriller. This is a plot driven book, so while it may fall a little short in the area of character development, it does not for one moment diminish the enjoyment that the reader will get from reading this immensely interesting work of fiction. It is simply an amazing debut novel. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
For whatever cause a country is ravaged, we ought to spare those edifices which do honor to human society, and do not contribute to increase an enemy's strength-such as temples, tombs, public buildings, and all works of remarkable beauty. . . . It is declaring one's self to be an enemy of mankind, thus wantonly to deprive them of these wonders of art.
-Emmerich De Vattel, The Law of Nations, 1758
I have studied in detail the state of the historic monuments in Peterhof, Tsarskoe, and Pavlovsk, and in all three towns I have witnessed monstrous outrages against the integrity of these monuments. Moreover, the damage caused-a full inventory of which would be extremely difficult to give because it is so extensive-bears the marks of premeditation.
-Testimony of Iosif Orbeli, director of the Hermitage, before the Nurnberg tribunal, February 22, 1946
For my father, who unknowingly kindled the fire decades ago, and for my mother, who taught me the discipline to sustain the blaze
The prisoners called him ears because he was the only Russian in Hut 8 who understood German.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345504380, Mass Market Paperback)

Now, two powerful men have set their best operatives loose in pursuit, and the hunt has begun once more. . . .

Life is good for Atlanta judge Rachel Cutler. She loves her job, loves her kids, and remains civil to her ex-husband, Paul. But everything changes when her father, a man who survived the horrors of World War II, dies under strange circumstances—and leaves behind clues to a secret he kept his entire life . . . a secret about something called the Amber Room.

Desperate to know the truth about her father’s suspicious dealings, Rachel takes off for Germany, with Paul close behind. Shortly after arriving, they find themselves involved with a cast of shadowy characters who all claim to share their quest. But as they learn more about the history of the treasure they seek, Rachel and Paul realize they’re in way over their heads. Locked in a treacherous game with ruthless professional killers and embroiled in a treasure hunt of epic proportions, Rachel and Paul suddenly find themselves on a collision course with the forces of power, evil, and history itself.

A brilliant adventure and a scintillating tale of intrigue, deception, art, and murder, The Amber Room is a classic tale of suspense—and the debut of a strong new voice in the world of the international thriller.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:06 -0400)

Forged of the exquisite gem, the Amber Room is one of the greatest treasures ever made by manb6sand the subject of one of historyb2ss most intriguing mysteries. German troops invading the Soviet Union seized the Room in 1941. When the Allies bombed, the Room was hidden, and it has never been seen since. But now, the hunt has begun once more. Atlanta judge Rachel Cutler loves her job and her kids, and remains civil to her ex-husband, Paul. But everything changes when her father dies under mysterious circumstances, leaving behind clues to a secret about something called the Amber Room. Desperate for the truth, Rachel takes off for Germany with Paul close behind. Before long, theyb2sre in over their heads. Locked into a treacherous game with professional killers, Rachel and Paul find themselves on a collision course with the forces of greed, power, and history itself.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,710,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible