Le musée perdu by Steve Berry

Le musée perdu (original 2003; edition 2011)

by Steve Berry, Gilles Morris-Dumoulin (Traduction)

Member:mkaag
Title:Le musée perdu
Authors:Steve Berry
Other authors:Gilles Morris-Dumoulin (Traduction)
Info:Pocket (2011), Poche, 502 pages
Rating:***

The Amber Room by Steve Berry (2003)

Map Of Bones by James Rollins (Anonymous user)

English (44)  Spanish (1)  All languages (45)
An enjoyable book, but my least favourite one by Steve Berry. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
From Amazon:

The Amber Room is one of the greatest treasures ever made by man: an entire room forged of exquisite amber, from its four massive walls to its finely crafted furniture. But it is also the subject of one of history’s most intriguing mysteries. Originally commissioned in 1701 by Frederick I of Prussia, the Room was later perfected Tsarskoe Selo, the Russian imperial city. In 1941, German troops invaded the Soviet Union, looting everything in their wake and seizing the Amber Room. When the Allies began the bombing of Germany in August 1944, the Room was hidden. And despite the best efforts of treasure hunters and art collectors from around the world, it has never been seen again. Now, two powerful men have set their best operatives loose in pursuit, and the hunt has begun once more.

My Thoughts:

There are many twists and turns in this action packed thriller, and a lot of historical information is woven into the fabric of this intricately plotted novel. I was hooked once I read the gripping prologue that sets the tone for the book. I found that I simply could not stop turning the pages of this engrossing thriller. This is a plot driven book, so while it may fall a little short in the area of character development, it does not for one moment diminish the enjoyment that the reader will get from reading this immensely interesting work of fiction. It is simply an amazing debut novel. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
2.5 stars

During WWII, the amber-panelled room in Catherine's Palace, just outside St. Petersburg, Russia was “stolen”. That is, the panels were stolen and they have yet to be found. This book follows Rachel and Paul as they try to find the Amber Room. Rachel's father was very interested in the room, and after he dies (possibly was murdered?), they take up his interest in finding the room.

Audio: The narrator should be good, but for some reason, he just can't seem to hold my interest. He has a nice voice and does accents well, but for whatever reason, he just doesn't work for me (I have listened to a couple others he has narrated and I'm pretty sure I felt the same way). Unfortunately, because my interest was not being held, I missed a heck of a lot of the book. Because of that, I can't say I liked it. I was somewhat interested in Rachel and Paul, but other than that, it just wasn't enough to hold my interest. The extra half star mostly comes from the narrator's interview with the author after the book is finished.

It's really too bad because I've been to Catherine's Palace and have seen the Amber Room replica, so I really wanted to like this book. Speaking of that, I bought a small book while there that has photos (not allowed to take our own photos in the room) and the story behind the room... which I still need to read! Hopefully soon. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 28, 2016 |
A mystery that gives good historial background about amber, the amber room and the possible fate of the room. ( )
  GeneHunter | Mar 13, 2016 |
I found this book to be a very entertaining read. Lots of interesting historical facts mixed in with well-developed characters and action-packed plot. Steve Berry did a lot of research and it shows. Lots of information about the lost Amber Room, World War II and the search for lost treasure. I am also looking forward to reading my next Steve Berry novel. ( )
  EadieB | Jan 19, 2016 |
For whatever cause a country is ravaged, we ought to spare those edifices which do honor to human society, and do not contribute to increase an enemy's strength-such as temples, tombs, public buildings, and all works of remarkable beauty. . . . It is declaring one's self to be an enemy of mankind, thus wantonly to deprive them of these wonders of art.
-Emmerich De Vattel, The Law of Nations, 1758
I have studied in detail the state of the historic monuments in Peterhof, Tsarskoe, and Pavlovsk, and in all three towns I have witnessed monstrous outrages against the integrity of these monuments. Moreover, the damage caused-a full inventory of which would be extremely difficult to give because it is so extensive-bears the marks of premeditation.
-Testimony of Iosif Orbeli, director of the Hermitage, before the Nurnberg tribunal, February 22, 1946
For my father, who unknowingly kindled the fire decades ago, and for my mother, who taught me the discipline to sustain the blaze
The prisoners called him ears because he was the only Russian in Hut 8 who understood German.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345504380, Mass Market Paperback)

Now, two powerful men have set their best operatives loose in pursuit, and the hunt has begun once more. . . .

Life is good for Atlanta judge Rachel Cutler. She loves her job, loves her kids, and remains civil to her ex-husband, Paul. But everything changes when her father, a man who survived the horrors of World War II, dies under strange circumstances—and leaves behind clues to a secret he kept his entire life . . . a secret about something called the Amber Room.

Desperate to know the truth about her father’s suspicious dealings, Rachel takes off for Germany, with Paul close behind. Shortly after arriving, they find themselves involved with a cast of shadowy characters who all claim to share their quest. But as they learn more about the history of the treasure they seek, Rachel and Paul realize they’re in way over their heads. Locked in a treacherous game with ruthless professional killers and embroiled in a treasure hunt of epic proportions, Rachel and Paul suddenly find themselves on a collision course with the forces of power, evil, and history itself.

A brilliant adventure and a scintillating tale of intrigue, deception, art, and murder, The Amber Room is a classic tale of suspense—and the debut of a strong new voice in the world of the international thriller.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:06 -0400)

Forged of the exquisite gem, the Amber Room is one of the greatest treasures ever made by manb6sand the subject of one of historyb2ss most intriguing mysteries. German troops invading the Soviet Union seized the Room in 1941. When the Allies bombed, the Room was hidden, and it has never been seen since. But now, the hunt has begun once more. Atlanta judge Rachel Cutler loves her job and her kids, and remains civil to her ex-husband, Paul. But everything changes when her father dies under mysterious circumstances, leaving behind clues to a secret about something called the Amber Room. Desperate for the truth, Rachel takes off for Germany with Paul close behind. Before long, theyb2sre in over their heads. Locked into a treacherous game with professional killers, Rachel and Paul find themselves on a collision course with the forces of greed, power, and history itself.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,580,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible