The Borrowers Afloat by Mary Norton

The Borrowers Afloat (original 1959; edition 2003)

by Mary Norton, Beth Krush (Illustrator), Joe Krush (Illustrator)

Member:SahilQaiser
Title:The Borrowers Afloat
Authors:Mary Norton
Other authors:Beth Krush (Illustrator), Joe Krush (Illustrator)
Info:Sandpiper (2003), Edition: 1, Paperback, 192 pages
Tags:Fantasy, Arriety

The Borrowers Afloat by Mary Norton (1959)

This book continues the adventures of Pod, Homily, and Arrietty as they hide in nooks and crannies from the humans from whom they "borrow" everything they need. The family, along with their cousins, are horrified when they learn that the gamekeeper and his grandson are moving out; the Borrowers will have nothing to live on with no humans about! Pod decides it's time for the three of them to move out, but where to? The way out is impassable because of the grandson's pet ferret who is sniffing about the house, trying to get in. Somehow, as the cover art suggests, the three end up drifting down the river in a rusty tea kettle, but there are many more adventures to come before they find a place to settle down. This is an exciting book that keeps one wanting to read just one more chapter! It's hard to put down. I always enjoy reading of the creative uses the Borrowers find for the things they borrow from humans - even a half of a ping pong ball. ( )
1 vote Coffeehag | Feb 15, 2014 |
Third in the Borrowers series; the Borrow family (Pod, Homily and Arriety) reach their relatives (Hendreary and Lupy) and their family living in a gamekeeper's cottage, but then move on in search of a miniature town called Little Fordham. As before, very well imagined, but somehow downbeat-- they are almost immediately unhappy with Hendray and Lupy, for example. ( )
  antiquary | Dec 15, 2013 |
Nothing much really happens in this instalment: having found the Hendrearies, they more or less have to turn around and leave again. Having done that, they decide to go to a mythical (to Borrowers) model village, where they'll be safe. A sort of paradise, for them. And while they wait for Spiller to take them there, they get carried off in the current, in his kettle-home, and have a run in with an old enemy.

Definitely not my favourite of the series. Arriety doesn't do much, and we see little of Kate or Mrs May, except to begin the story. Somehow, I'm rather fond of them, too, and their belief.

I remember liking the next book best: I hope that's still the case. But I'm starting to suspect that the magic just built up and up for me, through all the books, and then got varnished, so to speak, by my imagination. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Installment #3 of the Borrowers saga was, for my money, the strongest. Spiller comes into his own here, and he's quite the taciturn but romantic hero. Arrietty may possibly learn a thing or two in this novel,though it's arguable, as she continues with the talking to humans at every opportunity. Pod's a resourceful if staid old gentleman. Homily drives me mad with her panics and her flighty girly taking on. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
This is the third book in the series. The biggest let down was that the beginning of the second chapter was almost word for word of the last chapter of the previous book. I found it distracting and a bit annoying...and even alarming, to some degree, as I don’t agree that an author should do this. It’s fine to ‘remind’ the reader of what’s gone before, but to literally copy and paste such a large section of text is not acceptable (in my opinion). However, once I got passed that bit I was happy to settle back into the story of the Borrower family.

Spiller has become a main character now. He is only young but he is worldly and knows how to survive out of doors. The Clock family learn a lot from him. And he saves them time and time again—from one thing or another.

The point of view jumps from one person to another, which I’ve gotten used to, but I did notice in this book that the point of view was mainly with the mother, Homily. She can be a bit annoying, but we were also shown the strong side of her, which I found endearing so I didn’t mind seeing things through her eyes.

The adventures continue. The story and the characters are delightful. And I’m still enjoying the books. ( )
  KarenLeeField | Feb 9, 2013 |

Mary Nortonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Krush, BethIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Krush, JoeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"But what do they talk about?" asked Mr Beguid, the lawyer. He spoke almost irritably as of foolish goings-on.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152047336, Paperback)

Pod, Homily, and Arrietty Clock's huge adventures have been thrilling children young and old for fifty years--and their appeal is as strong as ever in these handsome new paperback packages. While the original beloved interior illustrations by Beth and Joe Krush have been retained, Marla Frazee's striking cover illustrations capture these little people with a larger-than-life appeal.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:20 -0400)

The Borrowers, a family of miniature people, journey down a drain, live briefly in a teakettle, and are swept away in a flood before finding a new home. Sequel to "The Borrowers Afield."

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,891,520 books! | Top bar: Always visible