The Bungalow Mystery by Carolyn Keene

Classic Nancy Drew. Near death escapes, unheard of independence, sharp sleuthing skills, easily solvable mysteries, and overly confident criminals are just a few of the signature elements that contribute to Nancy's continual success. While vacationing with her best friend, the two girls get stuck in a storm, sink their boat and nearly drown. Thankfully a girl their age hears their screams for help and the girls have made a new friend for life. As they gossip and get to know each other their rescuer, Lauren, tells them her sob story about how she is an orphan and she must soon meet the couple her mother entrusted her to. As the summer vacation progresses, Nancy notices a lot of things that don't add up about Lauren's new guardians and does some sleuthing. She quickly manages to get into more life threatening trouble but discovers that something is really wrong.

Predictable, but amusing. For fans of strong female leads and Scooby Doo. ( )
1 vote ecataldi | Feb 17, 2015 |
The Bungalow Mystery is the third Nancy Drew book, and just happens to be one of my favorites. This book turned out way better then I'd thought it would. This book kept me sitting at the edge of my seat. One of the best Nancy Drew books I've ever read.

Nancy is an awesome character as always. And she knows automobile mechanics. Is there anything she can't do?

We don't see a whole lot of Helen in this book; she's in the beginning of the book but that's pretty much it. But she's still a good character. Laura is also a good character; and, of course, I love Nancy's dad and Hannah.

All of my favorite parts are the bungalow scenes, like when Nancy went there to follow Laura's guardian, and when she went to the bungalow at night and her flashlight burnt out. It was a little scary to listen to this on autiobook.

I highly recommend this book. That's it for now. ( )
  barbiekait | Oct 16, 2014 |
Fun read. It's no wonder these books have been so popular for generations. They are well written and a pleasure to read. Glad my library has a large selection available to download and read. ( )
  Barb_H | Jan 1, 2014 |
I think I read this when I was in 7th grade. It is the second Nancy Drew book I read. We looked on such books as "girls books" but when we had read the 'boys books' we would read books like this and I remember I thought it was not bad reading. ( )
  Schmerguls | Oct 27, 2013 |
This is a comparative review of the 1930s and 1950s editions of this book - if you get a chance to read them side-by-side, I very strongly recommend it.

Of the three books I've read comparatively, this one diverges the furthest. Points of difference include:

- In the 50s edition, the guardian is accompanied by his wife - which makes the whole thing much less sinister. They also don't behave nearly as villainously.

- The 50s version introduces an entire subplot where Nancy is helping with a bank fraud case for her dad that ends up being related. This is really only odd in comparison (and it feels a little too convenient, but there's only so much I'm going to ask for, plotting-wise.)

- Don't forget the Gratuitous Housework Scene, a must in the 50s editions!

- All guns mysteriously disappear in the 50s versions. This appears to be consistent book-to-book.

- Any moral ambiguity in the finale is removed for 50s audiences.

I believe that the original versions remain more interesting than the revised versions, even when they have highly problematic elements (class, race, etc.) But the comparison is definitely best of all. ( )
  JeremyPreacher | Mar 30, 2013 |
"Look at those black storm clouds!" Nancy Drew pointed out to her friend, Helen Corning, who was seated beside her in the bow of the small red motorboat.

Nancy believes her friend’s guardians are trying to steal her inheritance. As she investigates, she has a perilous experience near the deserted bungalow.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:39 -0400)

While trying to help a friend out of a difficulty, teenage detective Nancy Drew has a perilous experience in and around a deserted bungalow.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,865,022 books! | Top bar: Always visible