dismiss

The Clue of the Tapping Heels (1939)

by Carolyn Keene

Series: Nancy Drew (16)

Nancy Drew tries to find a clue to the strange tapping sounds in the house of a retired actress.

Fine condition
  JamesLemons | Apr 21, 2020 |
I read my first Nancy Drew when my classmates and I raided our (too-few-books) library in our first year. Then, one classmate had some books of her own and I borrowed from her.

I liked the idea of a teen amateur detective who solved mysteries and still be practically perfect in every way. Nancy Drew was my first Mary Sue character.

Over the years, reading Nancy Drew evolved into pursuing the goal of collecting all the original 1-57 hardbound books published by Grosset and Dunlap. And less to do with the stories contained therein since my taste in mystery novels also changed and I wanted more harder to solve mysteries. Not to mention that I couldn't stand Bess Marvin.

When termites made a go at the books I left at my family's ancestral house, I strove to build my book collection back up (the Twilight books survived while my Harry Potter and LOTR books were decimated. Also my W.I.T.C.H. comic collection as well as the hard-to-find-now Ragnarok manhwa). I made it a point to read the Nancy Drew books I haven't read in years.

Which was tedious since my irritation with Bess Marvin did not go away. I found the mysteries still real easy, pinpointing everything in a few pages; and I skipped whole sections without losing the narrative. I know that these books are more geared towards a younger audience; but I still read Harry Potter and the Magic Faraway Tree, so where have you?

The Clue of the Tapping Heels, while not a Ludlum thriller mystery, was an easier read than any of the Nancy Drew books I've read lately. It was more of catching the culprit because all the evidence were already laid there and was waiting for confirmation. Bess was less of a pill and there were adorable Persian cats. Win-win. ( )
  Ayanami_Faerudo | Jan 25, 2019 |
I absolutely loved Nancy Drew growing up. This was a series I latched on to for dear life and never let go. Anytime my mom and I would go to antique stores, we'd peruse the Nancy Drews and add them to the collection (oftentimes my mom had to make deals with me on how many I could buy). So, while I don't remember the exact details of each and every one, the entire series was amazing and really fed my love for reading (especially novels full of suspense and mystery). Thank you, Carolyn Keene, for giving us an intelligent female character to fall in love with in Nancy Drew! ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
#16 Challenging questions confront Nancy Drew when she attempts to solve the mystery of the strange tapping sounds in the house of a retired actress. Who is the tapper? How does he gain access to Miss Carter’s house, despite securely locked doors and windows? Why do the tapping sounds come in Morse code? Is there a sinister motive behind the prowler’s actions? While trying to learn the answers to these and other puzzling questions, Nancy finds her investigations complicated by the dishonest administrator of a will and by a thief who steals the actress’s prize Persian cats. ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 22, 2017 |
Elementary
  PCA-Library | Mar 8, 2017 |

Carolyn Keeneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tandy, Russell H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
TAP! TAP! TAP!

Challenging questions confront Nancy Drew when she attempts to solve the mystery of the strange tapping sounds in the house of a retired actress. Who is the tapper? How does he gain access to Miss Carter's house, despite securely liked doors and windows? Why do the tapping sounds come in Morse code? Is there a sinister motive behind the prowler's actions?
While trying to learn the answers to these and other puzzling questions, Nancy finds her investigations complicated by the dishonest administrator of a will and by a thief who steals the actress's prize Persian cats.
How Nancy communicates with the ghostlike intruder by tap dancing code, how she outwits three criminals wanted by the police, and how she brings happiness to Miss Carter in a romantic reunion with the actress's former leading man will thrill the lively young detective's host of fans.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,145,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible