The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

The Exorcist (1971)

by William Peter Blatty

2,656None2,230 (3.86)128
20th century (21) American (14) American literature (11) Catholicism (28) Christianity (14) classic (13) demonic possession (42) demons (41) devil (22) exorcism (63) faith (11) fiction (343) horror (506) horror fiction (18) made into movie (16) movie (24) novel (58) occult (17) own (11) paperback (19) possession (47) priests (13) read (57) religion (78) Satan (17) supernatural (38) thriller (25) to-read (45) unread (18) Washington DC (11)
    Legion by William Peter Blatty (JonTheTerrible)
    JonTheTerrible: I quite enjoyed the characters in The Exorcist and felt that Legion gives you a bit more of the enjoyable Kinderman as well as the darkness of the demon. While Legion is not nearly as good as its predecessor it is still an essential read if you enjoyed the mood and pace of The Exorcist.… (more)

English (63)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (66)
The first half of this book is TERRIBLY written. It was so bad that I almost couldn't get through it, the second half reads a little better, but I really think that the reason for this is that it's where the action picks up. This is -definitely- a circumstance where the movie is better than the book. Just watch the movie. Skip this travesty. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
I love creepy books, so I thought I would give The Exorcist a try, especially since I've never seen the movie so I'm leading into the book with no preconceived notions. I wasn't disappointed - definitely creepy and not for the faint-hearted. Not an everyday book for sure, but I enjoyed reading it. Just imagining the events of the book in my mind was disturbing, and I would like to watch the film and see the novel brought to life. ( )
  NicoleGorr | Mar 10, 2014 |
"The Exorcist" was one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. It's difficult to say if the book would have been equally chilling, having read it nearly 40 years after seeing the movie around age 20. But it's a suspenseful and finely-crafted story, with occasional passages of lyrical resonance that lift the book from horror into literature.

The story, about a young girl who gradually becomes possessed by an ancient and evil entity, is based on an exorcism that took place in St. Louis. I've read that making this movie caused some psychic distress for Linda Blair, the young actress who played Regan. That may be apocryphal, as she did make a couple of sequels (really bad movies, too). There is, of course, more to the book than the movie. But they are quite faithful to each other, and both stand as landmarks in the American horror genre. ( )
  burnit99 | Nov 6, 2013 |
This one double-dog scared me because I was a Satanist at the time I read it. One of the greatest horror novels of all time! ( )
  ARBraun7 | Jul 20, 2013 |
One of my favorite books returns for its 40th anniversary with some reworking.

Twelve-year-old Regan McNeil starts exhibiting some strange, dangerous behavior. After visits to doctors and psychiatrists, only one thing could possibly save her life: an exorcism. Father Karras, a Church psychiatrist consumed with guilt and crumbling faith, has been asked to attend to Regan's medical and psychological needs. Father Merrin, an elderly priest with experience has come to perform the exorcism.

The amazing thing about this book is that the exorcism is really incidental. The possession is merely a vehicle to explore the nature of faith and belief. Every time I read this book I wonder: had Merrin and Karras only met a few days earlier, or under other circumstances, would things have turned out differently for Karras?

Some of the prose is a bit florid, but if you can get past it, the story and characters are really compelling. I'm not sure I love the new scene added just for the 40th anniversary. It just raises more questions for me, and as it is, my Nook is pretty well marked up, and more to come, I'm sure.

My favorite peripheral character is Lt. Kinderman, who brings another view of faith and belief to the picture. I'm not a religious person, but I consider myself a spiritual one. The worst thing a person can go through can ultimately make him a better human being. The worst thing Karras went through made him a better spiritual being. Wonderful book. ( )
  eilonwyhan | Jul 6, 2013 |
To my brothers and sisters, Maurice, Edward and Alyce, and in loving memory of my parents.
Like the brief doomed flare of exploding suns that registers dimly on blind men's eyes, the beginning of the horror passed almost unnoticed; in the shriek of what followed, in fact, was forgotten and perhaps not connected to the horror at all.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061007226, Mass Market Paperback)

When originally published in 1971, The Exorcist became not only a bestselling literary phenomenon, but one of the most frightening and controversial novels ever written. (When the author adapted his book to the screen two years later, it then became one of the most terrifying movies ever made.) The deceptively simple story focuses on Regan, the 11-year-old daughter of a movie actress residing in Washington, D.C.; the child apparently is possessed by an ancient demon. It's up to a small group of overwhelmed yet determined humans to somehow rescue Regan from this unspeakable fate. Purposefully raw and profane, this novel still has the extraordinary ability to literally shock us into forgetting that it is "just a story." The Exorcist remains a truly unforgettable reading experience. Blatty published a sequel, Legion, in 1983. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:14 -0400)

Actress and single mother Chris MacNeil becomes increasingly terrified for her young daughter Regan as a malevolent force takes possession of the child.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,474,626 books! | Top bar: Always visible