The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

The Exorcist (1971)

by William Peter Blatty

Legion by William Peter Blatty (JonTheTerrible)
    JonTheTerrible: I quite enjoyed the characters in The Exorcist and felt that Legion gives you a bit more of the enjoyable Kinderman as well as the darkness of the demon. While Legion is not nearly as good as its predecessor it is still an essential read if you enjoyed the mood and pace of The Exorcist.… (more)

English (68)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (72)
Ultimately, I enjoyed this book. The book was fast paced, thoroughly researched, and extremely well written. The characters were well rounded and endearingly honest. On the other hand, to quote the book jacket, this definitely was not “the most terrifying novel ever written.” Don’t get me wrong, while I found the book extremely disturbing I did not get scared at any point. ( )
  bjh3038 | Aug 22, 2014 |
  bjh3038 | Aug 22, 2014 |
I wasn’t sure what to expect of this one. I’ve seen the movie a lot of times. A LOT of times. Despite its poor quality special effects and overzealous acting, it’s a seriously creepy movie that goes to some very ugly places. Rest assured, the book does, too.

I was pretty surprised to see that the movie is nearly word-for-word like the book. That threw me off at first, because it all seemed so anticlimactic. With as many times as I’ve seen the movie, how could anything in this book surprise me? But, though the plot was extremely familiar, the writing really grabbed me. Even with knowing how certain scenes would play out, the author’s perfect wording put a like-new sheen on everything. Made the two experiences unique, despite their being very little differences between the paper and reel versions.

Blatty can induce a cringe like it’s nobody’s business. He was also fantastic at setting the perfectly creepy mood. No details are spared here and it all works beautifully to both intrigue and repel you. There were a lot of perfectly-placed words and abrupt phrases that made big impacts. I am, though, left wondering how I would have pictured this, had I not already had a brain full of imagery. That's just curiosity speaking.

The one negative is that it’s wordy. I wouldn’t say it’s Stephen King-level wordy, but still. It’s pretty wordy. Especially because a lot more focus is put on diagnosing Regan’s condition. In the movie, a lot of that is glossed over and condensed, but here, you have to read through Father Karras’ inner musings and a couple of doctors’ testings and findings. This didn’t detract too much from the story, but it did create lulls in between the real action and what we all came for – REGAN’S CREEPY ASS. The scenes with possessed Regan are scary and disconcerting as expected. I just wish there were more.

All in all, The Exorcist is definitely one of the better horror books I’ve read, if only because of its uniqueness and the author’s ability to go to CREEPY-ASS places.

Buddy read with Shandra and Athena.

JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
A true horror classic, the book's literary style and groundbreaking, terrifying imagery make it a pleasure, even if one is already familiar with the film version. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jul 26, 2014 |
This was so scary I couldn't finish it!
  ElizabethBevins | May 6, 2014 |
To my brothers and sisters, Maurice, Edward and Alyce, and in loving memory of my parents.
Like the brief doomed flare of exploding suns that registers dimly on blind men's eyes, the beginning of the horror passed almost unnoticed; in the shriek of what followed, in fact, was forgotten and perhaps not connected to the horror at all.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061007226, Mass Market Paperback)

When originally published in 1971, The Exorcist became not only a bestselling literary phenomenon, but one of the most frightening and controversial novels ever written. (When the author adapted his book to the screen two years later, it then became one of the most terrifying movies ever made.) The deceptively simple story focuses on Regan, the 11-year-old daughter of a movie actress residing in Washington, D.C.; the child apparently is possessed by an ancient demon. It's up to a small group of overwhelmed yet determined humans to somehow rescue Regan from this unspeakable fate. Purposefully raw and profane, this novel still has the extraordinary ability to literally shock us into forgetting that it is "just a story." The Exorcist remains a truly unforgettable reading experience. Blatty published a sequel, Legion, in 1983. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:14 -0400)

Actress and single mother Chris MacNeil becomes increasingly terrified for her young daughter Regan as a malevolent force takes possession of the child.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,718,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible