The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

The Exorcist (1971)

by William Peter Blatty

Series: The Exorcist (1)

Legion by William Peter Blatty (JonTheTerrible)
    JonTheTerrible: I quite enjoyed the characters in The Exorcist and felt that Legion gives you a bit more of the enjoyable Kinderman as well as the darkness of the demon. While Legion is not nearly as good as its predecessor it is still an essential read if you enjoyed the mood and pace of The Exorcist.… (more)
    The Case Against Satan by Ray Russell (SomeGuyInVirginia)

English (83)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (88)
I finished it in one sitting because I was afraid to go to sleep. My roommate was working (bar tending) so she wasn't expected home until about 3:30a. I made our dog sit at my feet (he was not normally allowed in the living room and he was very hesitant to stay with me) ... in fact I wanted him actually touching me ... if he got up to go get a drink from his bowl in the kitchen, I went with him. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jul 8, 2016 |
I enjoyed The Exorcist but I liked the movie more. The movie was so much more fun. ( )
  Foghorn-Leghorn | Jun 5, 2016 |
It was a great book and the movie does it fairly good justice. The story deviates slightly but overall the movie reflects the book. However i will say that this is a disturbing book and the author really knows how to ramp up tension. In my opinion the book was more about the deterioration of the mother rather than the corruption of Regan. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
This was a curious read. It wasn't really scary, but it was unsettling. I can definitely see why it caused quite the stir back when it first came out: it was disturbing. That being said, I didn't care for the writing style. I also had difficulty with the sexist/misogynistic language scattered throughout the book. I know I need to consider the time this book was written, but I still found it frustrating. Overall, the Exorcist rates an 'okay' with me. ( )
  clear_tranquil | Mar 27, 2016 |
Definitely enjoyed this more than the movie. Much more interesting and the author makes an awesome narrator too. He's got a great voice to make things seem spooky. ( )
  nike13 | Mar 10, 2016 |

William Peter Blattyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reinert, KirkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brothers and sisters, Maurice, Edward and Alyce, and in loving memory of my parents.
Like the brief doomed flare of exploding suns that registers dimly on blind men's eyes, the beginning of the horror passed almost unnoticed; in the shriek of what followed, in fact, was forgotten and perhaps not connected to the horror at all.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061007226, Mass Market Paperback)

When originally published in 1971, The Exorcist became not only a bestselling literary phenomenon, but one of the most frightening and controversial novels ever written. (When the author adapted his book to the screen two years later, it then became one of the most terrifying movies ever made.) The deceptively simple story focuses on Regan, the 11-year-old daughter of a movie actress residing in Washington, D.C.; the child apparently is possessed by an ancient demon. It's up to a small group of overwhelmed yet determined humans to somehow rescue Regan from this unspeakable fate. Purposefully raw and profane, this novel still has the extraordinary ability to literally shock us into forgetting that it is "just a story." The Exorcist remains a truly unforgettable reading experience. Blatty published a sequel, Legion, in 1983. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:13 -0400)

Actress and single mother Chris MacNeil becomes increasingly terrified for her young daughter Regan as a malevolent force takes possession of the child.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,224,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible