The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

The Exorcist (original 1971; edition 2017)

by William Peter Blatty (Author), Jeremy Caniglia (Illustrator)

Member:folio_books
Title:The Exorcist
Authors:William Peter Blatty (Author)
Other authors:Jeremy Caniglia (Illustrator)
Info:Folio Society (2017)
Tags:Folio Society

The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty (Author) (1971)

Legion by William Peter Blatty (JonTheTerrible)
    JonTheTerrible: I quite enjoyed the characters in The Exorcist and felt that Legion gives you a bit more of the enjoyable Kinderman as well as the darkness of the demon. While Legion is not nearly as good as its predecessor it is still an essential read if you enjoyed the mood and pace of The Exorcist.… (more)
    Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin (sturlington)
    The Case Against Satan by Ray Russell (SomeGuyInVirginia)

English (96)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (101)
I’ve been a fan of horror since I was a kid and The Exorcist was always one of my favorite movies. Since I wasn’t a reader when I was younger, I had no idea it was based on a book. I have been trying to find a copy for the last few years and recently while spending the morning at Goodwill with my mom and cousin, I stumbled across one. I was so happy that I think I might have actually jumped up and down. I just remember being super excited and my cousin looking at me like I was a complete freak.

Now that I’ve read it, I’m not exactly sure how I feel about it. I think I would have loved it if I hadn’t already seen the movie hundreds of times. They are just so much alike. I think that was my problem and why it took me so long to get through the book (2 months!). It was a great read and while reading it I was thoroughly enjoying it, but there were no surprises. It was creepy and well written but I knew everything that was going to happen. Usually when they turn a book into a movie they leave some stuff out. One thing I did really like was that you get to know the characters a bit more. I found that interesting.

I’m giving it four stars because I feel like if I hadn’t seen the movie, I would have absolutely loved this book. It would have been a five star read for me. I know it’s not the author or the books fault that I grew up on horror movies, and I did really enjoy reading it, so I can’t give it anything less than four stars.

If you haven’t seen the movie, or it’s been awhile since you watched it, please give this book a read. Even if you have seen the movie a hundred times like I have and you are interested in reading it, give it a shot. Just make sure you go into it knowing that it is pretty much exactly the same as the movie. ( )
  TheTreeReader | Oct 4, 2017 |
A hundred thousand times scarier and more engaging than the movie. ( )
  majesdane | Aug 8, 2017 |
WHOA, way to terrify me to the bone!
I believe everyone who has read this book, needs to go back and listen to it on audiobook by the author himself. GOOD GRIEF, his demonic voices are TERRIFYING.
What an awesome gruesome tale! ugh, I smelled the stench of that demon, BLEGH.
That voice will haunt me for years to come. This is a MUST read for anyone who considers themselves a horror fan. This is a Classic, well done Mr. Blatty! ( )
  XoVictoryXo | Jun 28, 2017 |
The terror began unobtrusively. Noises in Regan's room, an odd smell, misplaced furniture, and icy chill. Small annoyances for which Chris MacNeil, Regan's actress mother, easily found explanations. The changes in eleven-year-old Regan were so gradual, too, that Chris did not recognise for some time how much her daughter's behaviour had altered. Even when she did, the medical tests which followed shed no light on Regan's symptoms, which grew more severe and frightening. It was almost as if a different personality had invaded the child. Desperate, Chris turned from the doctors to Father Damien Karras, a Jesuit priest who was trained as a psychiatrist and had a deep knowledge of such phenomena as satanism and possession. Was it possible that a demonic force was at large? If psychiatry could not help, might exorcism be the answer?
  thebblack | Jun 23, 2017 |
Great book which stands on it's own without the film......but I highly suggest reading all three books in this Trilogy. The 9th Configuration.....The Exorcist and Legion. Even though the stories are not really connected, the ideology behind them comes across and ties the elements together. The Astronaut in the 9th Configuration is the same astronaut in the Exorcist. Little things like that give the reader a nod. Blatty wants you to connect with the contents and he does it very well. ( )
  Joe73 | Apr 20, 2017 |

Blatty, William PeterAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reinert, KirkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brothers and sisters, Maurice, Edward and Alyce, and in loving memory of my parents.
Like the brief doomed flare of exploding suns that registers dimly on blind men's eyes, the beginning of the horror passed almost unnoticed; in the shriek of what followed, in fact, was forgotten and perhaps not connected to the horror at all.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061007226, Mass Market Paperback)

When originally published in 1971, The Exorcist became not only a bestselling literary phenomenon, but one of the most frightening and controversial novels ever written. (When the author adapted his book to the screen two years later, it then became one of the most terrifying movies ever made.) The deceptively simple story focuses on Regan, the 11-year-old daughter of a movie actress residing in Washington, D.C.; the child apparently is possessed by an ancient demon. It's up to a small group of overwhelmed yet determined humans to somehow rescue Regan from this unspeakable fate. Purposefully raw and profane, this novel still has the extraordinary ability to literally shock us into forgetting that it is "just a story." The Exorcist remains a truly unforgettable reading experience. Blatty published a sequel, Legion, in 1983. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:13 -0400)

Actress and single mother Chris MacNeil becomes increasingly terrified for her young daughter Regan as a malevolent force takes possession of the child.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,686,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible