The Exorcist by William P. Blatty

The Exorcist (original 1971; edition 2004)

by William P. Blatty

Member:vzuloaga
Title:The Exorcist
Authors:William P. Blatty
Info:Buccaneer Books (2004), Edition: Harper & Row, Publisher. Book Club Edition. 1st Printing., Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****

The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty (1971)

Legion by William Peter Blatty (JonTheTerrible)
    JonTheTerrible: I quite enjoyed the characters in The Exorcist and felt that Legion gives you a bit more of the enjoyable Kinderman as well as the darkness of the demon. While Legion is not nearly as good as its predecessor it is still an essential read if you enjoyed the mood and pace of The Exorcist.… (more)

English (73)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (77)
It took me a long time to get around to watching the movie for the first time. I think I imagined that it would dwell more on the blasphemous than it actually did, and as a Christian (who happens to like horror...) I really did not like that idea. But, as a horror fan, my curiosity got the better of me and I finally watched the movie, and loved it. I think the book is kind of the same way. I kind of dreaded it more on its reputation that what the book actually contains. This book is not about the demon all that much. Really, it is about faith, or lack thereof in people's lives, especially that of Father Karras. It is about how people can come to faith, or not, and about how that can change throughout their lives. It really is a fascinating book, and I highly recommend it. ( )
  rft183 | Jul 14, 2015 |
This book was soooooooooooooo boring! I read a fourth of it and had no desire to waste my time any further.
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Still one of the most amazing novels I have ever read. The re-write is excellent. The changes were minimal, actually. Definitely one of my favorite novels of all time... still. ( )
  VincentDarlage | Jan 30, 2015 |
Actually a good exciting story. chilling and scary. A page turner. ( )
  hredwards | Jan 20, 2015 |
To my brothers and sisters, Maurice, Edward and Alyce, and in loving memory of my parents.
Like the brief doomed flare of exploding suns that registers dimly on blind men's eyes, the beginning of the horror passed almost unnoticed; in the shriek of what followed, in fact, was forgotten and perhaps not connected to the horror at all.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061007226, Mass Market Paperback)

When originally published in 1971, The Exorcist became not only a bestselling literary phenomenon, but one of the most frightening and controversial novels ever written. (When the author adapted his book to the screen two years later, it then became one of the most terrifying movies ever made.) The deceptively simple story focuses on Regan, the 11-year-old daughter of a movie actress residing in Washington, D.C.; the child apparently is possessed by an ancient demon. It's up to a small group of overwhelmed yet determined humans to somehow rescue Regan from this unspeakable fate. Purposefully raw and profane, this novel still has the extraordinary ability to literally shock us into forgetting that it is "just a story." The Exorcist remains a truly unforgettable reading experience. Blatty published a sequel, Legion, in 1983. --Stanley Wiater

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:13 -0400)

Actress and single mother Chris MacNeil becomes increasingly terrified for her young daughter Regan as a malevolent force takes possession of the child.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,160,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible