The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery…

The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, No. 4) (original 1930; edition 1961)

by Carolyn Keene

Member:HollyBooks
Title:The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, No. 4)
Authors:Carolyn Keene
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (1961), Edition: 1ST, Hardcover, 180 pages

The Mystery at Lilac Inn by Carolyn Keene (1930)

On the same day I finish NaNoWriMo, I finish The Mystery at Lilac Inn. It's a sign... okay, it's probably not, but it's a nifty coincidence.

Anyway, this is the last of my mother's old Nancy Drew books that we found wasting away in one of my parents' storage buildings some years ago and Mom said I could keep. Actually, this is the second time I've read this one, but since I've been reading all the others lately, thought it would be a nice revisit.

And it was! What I love about Nancy Drew is that it holds the same draw as both the Hardy Boy mysteries and the great movie serials of the 30s and 40s. Nancy's stories are written just like the best pulp books, not lessening the danger in any way either because Nancy is a girl or because the books are aimed at a younger audience. It's nice to read something that doesn't talk down to its intended audience.

As Nancy's father says at the wrap up, "This certainly has been an involved and dangerous mystery." He certainly understates things well. What starts as a basic mystery at the inn her friend has just purchased turns into a multi-level threat involving a girl impersonating Nancy (going as far as stealing her charge card and buying expensive things in her name), something strange in the river (that sends Nancy and her friend Helen flying out of their canoe), as well as the potential "haunting" of the inn itself (not to mention a theft of some very valuable property). All these things, some seeming to have no connection to each other, make for one wild ride and Nancy and friends try to figure out "the mystery at Lilac Inn." ( )
  regularguy5mb | Nov 30, 2015 |
I was reading a great book called th Lilac Inn. In this book Nancy is staying at the Lilac Inn with Helen and Emily and all sorts of strange things are happening. One night when they were all having dinner together for Emily's 16th birthday her aunt got her very expensive, fancy dimonds. All the sudden the lights when out and when they flickered back on the dimonds were gone! Nancy searches for clues and then finds Lilac buds and the were still fresh so that means th theif had just stolen them, ther was a trail that led to a pannel a nd Nancy pushed it to the side and there was a secret tunnel! I liked this book because there was a lot of surprises and you would never think that something could happen and then it does, it makes you want to keep reading ( )
  MadelynM14 | Nov 7, 2015 |
2002, Listening Library, Read by Laura Linney

Book Description: from Amazon.ca
When Nancy Drew and her friend visit Lilac Inn, mysterious events occur that seem to indicate that Nancy's presence is unwanted there and the Inn may be haunted. After her friend's diamond jewelry is stolen, Nancy must try to solve the mysteries and recover the jewels … Although the material is dated, such as when a telephone switchboard is mentioned and a character wears an "aqua organdy dress," listeners will still have fun trying to solve the mystery on their own from the clues provided before the conclusion of the book. Orchestral music in the background, lush with string instruments, adds to the moments of peril within the narrative.

My Review:
Well, turns out I’m not much of a sleuth at all, so it’s a good thing Nancy Drew was at the helm of the investigation at Lilac Inn, and not I. The Amazon reviewer, above, notes the the material is dated, but this is for me one of its appeals. I enjoy getting lost in a much quieter, bygone time with Nancy, her dad, and sundry characters. Laura Linney is a fine reader, although occasionally she moves through the text very quickly, requiring diligent attention be paid. This is the second Nancy Drew mystery I have listened to her narrate, and I highly recommend these audio editions. ( )
  lit_chick | Aug 2, 2015 |
Fans of this series will not be disappointed with this classic Nancy Drew book. The vocabulary may be a bit difficult for young readers, but the mystery behind the Lilac Inn and the stolen jewels will keep the pages turning for willing readers.
  Jen4k | Mar 12, 2014 |
The fourth Nancy Drew book in the series and so far my favorite. Our heroine is stumbling into one mystery after another while trying to just enjoy a little vacation with her friends. Premise: Nancy and Helen visit their friend Emily who is getting married soon. Em and her fiance, Dick, have bought an old inn and are renovating it, but a series of unfortunate accidents could cause the opening to be delayed. Diamonds are stolen, the cabin Nancy is staying in is blown up, Helen is knocked unconscious...it is one tragic event after another - not to mention that there is someone impersonating Nancy back in River Heights. Nancy trails a maid, gets kidnapped and is nearly killed - although nothing happens to her more seriously than a bad scare. Bad guys were nicer back in the 30s and 40s I suppose. In the end Nancy solves the mystery that has little to do with the Inn and more to do with her and her father and an angry ex-con.
The story is a bit far-fetched, but it was written in a different time for a much different audience than today's young adults. No wonder I wanted to be Nancy when I was growing up - solve mysteries, out smart the bad guys, drive around in a cute little convertible all while looking good and telling eligible young men that I am just too busy solving mysteries to be bothered going out.
I've already purchased book #5 and will start it shortly. Long live the Nancy Drew books. ( )
  TamiHindes | Apr 2, 2011 |

Carolyn Keeneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tandy, Russell H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Nancy Drew!" How did you and Helen paddle that canoe up here so fast from River Heights?" cried Doris Drake in astonishment. (1961/modern edition)
The 1930 edition and the 1961 edition are completely distinct stories and hence should be different works.

Nancy finds herself in danger when she tries to solve the mystery of the old inn, believed to be jinxed.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:35 -0400)

Nancy Drew - Book 4

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,588,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible