The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene

The Secret of the Old Clock

by Carolyn Keene

Series: Nancy Drew (1)

The whole thing is worth reading for lulz. It's so rose-tinted to the point of feeling artificial. Nancy Drew is basically Crime-Solving Barbie. Happy endings all around.

Aren't the Topmans going to contest though that the notebook was obtained through illegal means? Or in this era, Nancy's "gee officer, I was just looking at it and couldn't put it back before getting caught" story hold up? ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
This book is the first book a part of a series. Nancy Drew is a girl who solves mysteries in her town. In this book, Nancy Drew solves her first mystery when the accidental rescue of a little girl who lives with her two great-aunts leads on an adventurous search for a missing will. This book has notable features such as descriptive language and suspension. I would use this book as an instruction application to show examples of problem solving and to show the different types of novels. ( )
  lhoanzl | May 1, 2017 |
This book is about nancy drew saving a little girl. This girl, Judy, lives with her aunts who are poor. they said that their brother said he left money for them in his will, but he had died awhile ago and they haven't received any money, their cousins did though. Nancy investigates and realizes that there has to be two wills, one that has not yet been found. She talks to Judys aunts and they tell her that their brother said something about a clock. Nancy goes to search for the clock and gets locked in a closet book some crooks. When she is found and let out she finds the crooks and the clock and calls the police. in the clock she finds the will and it left a large sum of money for Judy and her aunts to get by. This book is good for 8-12 year olds and it would be a good chapter book to read for pleasure and keep students attention. ( )
  Skelly29 | Apr 6, 2017 |
a childhood favorite
i started reading nancy drew mysteries in 2nd grade ( )
  katcoviello | Sep 21, 2016 |
Okay, I'll confess, I read the 1959 series, and for the most part, I prefer them. It has nothing to do with familiarity, it has everything to do with character development, setting up of the scenery and the cool cars everyone drove. Nancy had such a neat relationship with her dad, and it was so believable that he would allow her such responsibility. One longed for the ability to drive - and to drive a little roadster, have a relaxed relationship with a boyfriend, and use one's brain and not be considered a 'dork,' our word for nerd. I read every Nancy Drew I could get my hands on, as well as Hardy Boys, in order. Couldn't get enough of them. It was almost a right of passage for girls in 4th grade or later depending on reading level and interest. It fully developed my love for mystery and detective reads, those of you who put off reading them until adult hood, remember the attention span of elementary school girls, and their infatuation with 16, 17 and 18 year old girls and boys! I really cannot speak too much about the 'new' editions, I read through one twelve years ago when my daughter was of the age to read them and did not care for the updated version. Maybe because I had read the older ones so much I had them memorized! Oh, well, the Nancy Drew movie was charming, but NOTHING like the books, new or old, but charming. ( )
  CathyWoolbright | Apr 20, 2016 |

Carolyn Keeneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benson, Mildred WirtAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paretsky, SaraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tandy, Russell H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[1930 edition] It would be a shame if all that money went to the Tophams!
[1959 edition] Nancy Drew, an attractive girl of eighteen, was driving home along a country road in her new, dark-blue convertible.

Nancy Drew's keen mind is tested when she searches for a missing will.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:34 -0400)

Nancy Drew's keen mind is tested when she searches for a missing will.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,197,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible