The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene

2007, Listening Library, Read by Laura Linney

Book Description: from Amazon.ca
Girl sleuth, Nancy Drew, is introduced in this audio version of the first book in the series. After aiding an injured child, Nancy accidentally stumbles upon the mystery of Josiah Crowley's missing will. While several of Crowley's impoverished relatives claim that he had included them in his will, his arrogant relatives, seem to possess the only copy, which leaves them in total possession of the deceased man's fortune. Nancy is intrigued by the situation and begins searching for Crowley's missing antique clock, an object that reportedly contains a clue to the will's location. During her investigation, she encounters a series of obstacles, one of which is the theft of the clock by thieves. Nancy's rescue of the clock ultimately leads to her discovery of the real will.

My Review:
Who knew discovering Nancy Drew in my mid-fifties would be such a delight! Nancy herself, of course, is the star of the show, but I am impressed with the secondary cast of characters here, too: the aging Turner sisters, guardians of little Judy, who want only the best for their ward; the much younger Hoover sisters, childhood neighbours of the deceased Crowley, who were fond of him; 80-year-old invalid Abbey Rowen, always pleasant despite her challenges; Jeff Tucker, a kindly farmer who’s dreamed of travelling; and, by contrast, the arrogant, entitled, and greedy Topham family. I’m expecting to meet again with Carson Drew, Nancy’s father and successful attorney, and their housekeeper come family friend, Hannah Gruen. The plot plays out well, as does the mystery story, but I was more impressed with the theme: that those who have help those who have much less – and in doing so, enrich their own lives as well as the lives of others. Laura Linney, who narrates this audio version, is, well, Laura Linney: fabulous! Her pronunciation and timing are perfect, and all of the characters are clearly delineated. Occasional background music is used effectively to indicate moments of tension. Highly recommended! ( )
3 vote lit_chick | Mar 4, 2015 |
Let my start by saying Nancy is awesome! She is and always will be one of my favorite female fictional character.

This book also show Nancy's friend, Helen Corning. I like Helen, but I like Bess and George way more.

We also meet the Topham family and they are realy horrible people, at least the daughters are.

One thing I like about Nancy Drew, especially one though four, whenever something scary happens it keeps you at the end of your seat and leaves you wanting more (at least for me it does). Evan when Nancy is just standing in an abandon house alone it makes you fell like what's gonna happen? What is she gonna do? Nancy! Run!

The most suspenseful parts for me is when Nancy was at the cottage and the thieves show up, and when she took the clock before the thieves could catch her.

I really love this book. You are never to old for Nancy Drew. ( )
  barbiekait | Oct 16, 2014 |
Nancy Drew is what got me hooked on reading, and for that I will always have a fondness for these series. They are light easy formulaic throwaway reads with unmemorable characters, but when I first discovered them they were a gold mine to me. ( )
  JazMinderr | Jul 31, 2014 |
It was okay but I think the later books/mysteries were more exciting and more nicely written than this one. Or maybe I was much younger when I read the other ones thus the other ones appealed to me more. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 17, 2014 |

Carolyn Keeneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Benson, Mildred WirtAuthorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Paretsky, SaraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tandy, Russell H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nancy Drew, an attractive girl of eighteen, was driving home along a country road in her new, dark-blue convertible.
[c1930 edition:] It would be a shame if all that money went to the Tophams!
First words above are not from c1930 edition.

Nancy Drew's keen mind is tested when she searches for a missing will.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:53 -0400)

Nancy Drew's keen mind is tested when she searches for a missing will.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,853,095 books! | Top bar: Always visible