The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene
2,719622,171 (3.69)55

It was okay but I think the later books/mysteries were more exciting and more nicely written than this one. Or maybe I was much younger when I read the other ones thus the other ones appealed to me more. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 17, 2014 |
This was a fun quick read. I can see how I devoured these as a child. I read it for my Vintage Book Circle's Nancy Drew Night. I'm looking forward to a fun evening. I agree with Ginny that there were some things that jumped out at me as an adult that I'm sure never bothered me as a child. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Although the story was first published in 1930, I think that the book is not outmoded. I think that children, or anyone for that matter, will enjoy this book. It is a simple read that is fun, and entertaining. ( )
  bookwormconfidential | Dec 27, 2013 |
I'm glad I was told this wasn't the best book in the series even before I started showing an interest in reading it because I came to Nancy Drew with no expectations and wasn't disappointed in the least.

The premise is interesting, if a little saccharine - a man has just died and his fortune could benefit some of his poorest acquaintances if only Nancy could find the last will he's written. I wouldn't call this novel a mystery so much as an an adventure book - Nancy doesn't investigate much of anything and finding out where the missing will is ends up being a matter of putting the question to several people and wait for someone to have the answer.
Indeed, the bulk of the story involves Nancy physically searching for the will, finding herself locked up in a closet by thieves and generally running about waiting for the police to do its job.

It's not bad, but it's not what I expect from mysteries. The characters are flatter than the page of a book with no dimension and manicchean personalities. Still, I enjoyed this and can only hope that it improves in subsequent installments. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
I read several of these in my childhood, but not all of them.
  EmilieM | Oct 27, 2013 |

Carolyn Keeneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Paretsky, SaraIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tandy, Russell H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nancy Drew, an attractive girl of eighteen, was driving home along a country road in her new, dark-blue convertible.
[c1930 edition:] It would be a shame if all that money went to the Tophams!
First words above are not from c1930 edition.

Nancy Drew's keen mind is tested when she searches for a missing will.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:53 -0400)

Nancy Drew's keen mind is tested when she searches for a missing will.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,239,916 books! | Top bar: Always visible