Light Years by James Salter

Light Years (1975)

by James Salter

8662315,658 (4)34

English (15)  Dutch (5)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (23)
  lulaa | Jan 13, 2017 |
A unique novel in a style unlike any other I have read. A prose poem really, very evocative . Moving at times, annoying at others. Magnificent sentences but characters that are kept at a distance unfortunately. ( )
  stef7sa | Jan 5, 2017 |
A beautifully written book, one of my all time favorites. I read it twice and will read it again I am sure.
  Jan7Smith | Jul 19, 2016 |
5279. Light Years, by James Salter (read 21 May 2015) This is a 1975 novel telling of Viri and Nedra, a couple who live in the country outside New York City, and have two daughters, Frasca and Danny. Viri and Nedra are both adulterers and eventually divorce. Viri goes to Rome and marries a 33-year-old when he is 47. We learn about their friends, their children fornicating, etc., all told in limpid and evocative prose. There is no real plot, just a telling of events in their changing lives. Viri would have stayed married to Nedra but she insisted on divorce. Viri would have gone back to Nedra, even after he married in Rome, but Nedra was not open to such. I found the book mostly sad, and there was utterly no envy in my heart for the things that attracted either Viri or Nedra in their lives of fleeting joys and overwhelming sadnesses. Despite that, I could not fail to be moved by the word picture so expertly painted by Salter. I have to say the words said of Salter by Richard Ford: "It is an article of faith among readers of fiction that James Salter writes American sentences better than anyone writing today " strike me as insightful. ( )
1 vote Schmerguls | May 28, 2015 |
I love James Salter, and think this is one of his best novels. The character Nedra is drawn beautifully. It is also a look back at a life made by two people, Viri and Nedra, for their daughters. They eventually leave this life, but while they were in it, it was beautiful. Salter gives us a full picture of Nedra, always luminous.
  conniekronlokken | Jan 6, 2015 |

James Salterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ford, RichardIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We dash the black river, its flats smooth as stone.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:00 -0400)

This exquisite, resonant novel is a brilliant portrait of marriage by a contemporary American master. Even as he lingers over the lustrous surface of Viri and Nedra's marriage, James Salter makes us see the cracks that are spreading through it, flaws that will in time mar it beyond repair. "An unexpectedly moving ode to beautiful lives frayed by time."… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,736,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible