The Whispering Statue (Nancy Drew, Book 14)…

The Whispering Statue (Nancy Drew, Book 14) (original 1937; edition 1937)

by Carolyn Keene

Member:jeidai
Title:The Whispering Statue (Nancy Drew, Book 14)
Authors:Carolyn Keene
Info:Grosset & Dunlap (1937), Hardcover, 192 pages
Collections:Children's, Your library
Tags:hardcover

The Whispering Statue by Carolyn Keene (1937)

Mrs. Merriam thinks she is being cheated by Mr. Basswood. Nancy goes undercover as a clerk in Mr. Basswood. She wears a disguise of a black wig and dark makeup so he won't know she is the famous Nancy Drew. With the help of her friends she uncovers the truth of what is going on at his store and the fate of the missing Whispering Statue.
  nx74defiant | Jun 16, 2019 |
There were several things I enjoyed because I thought they were new to the Nancy Drew series thus far. The first was Nancy going "undercover": dressing up in a wig and changing her name. It wasn't the most convincing because she still hung out with George and Bess, and Ned and his chums, which would be a dead giveaway to anyone with half a brain, but it was a good first try. The second interests me mainly because it is a staple in the Nancy Drew Her Interactive games, but not a significant part of the books themselves: Nancy gets a job as part of solving the mystery! Earning money with the weird quirky jobs that Nancy finds in the computer games (she literally dances at a club in a cat suit in Italy!) is probably the best part of the games, and even though this is the art shop of a scoundrel in this story and not making pastries or sandwiches, it was still a fun hint of what was to come. ( )
  ilikeike | Sep 25, 2018 |
I absolutely loved Nancy Drew growing up. This was a series I latched on to for dear life and never let go. Anytime my mom and I would go to antique stores, we'd peruse the Nancy Drews and add them to the collection (oftentimes my mom had to make deals with me on how many I could buy). So, while I don't remember the exact details of each and every one, the entire series was amazing and really fed my love for reading (especially novels full of suspense and mystery). Thank you, Carolyn Keene, for giving us an intelligent female character to fall in love with in Nancy Drew! ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |
#14 Once again, Nancy faces two puzzling mysteries at once! The first concerns a valuable collection of rare books that Mrs. Horace Merriam commissioned an art dealer to sell--has he swindled her instead? The second mystery revolves around the baffling theft of a beautiful marble statue. To solve both mysteries, the famous young detective disguises herself and assumes a false identity. Despite these precautions, danger stalks Nancy’s every move. An attempted kidnapping, a nearly disastrous sailboat collision, and an encounter with a dishonest sculptor are just a few of the exciting challenges that Nancy is faced with as she gathers evidence against a clever ring of art thieves. ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 22, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 8, 2017 |

Carolyn Keeneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Tandy, Russell H.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Nancy, you're kidding. No statue can whisper!"

Nancy Drew is asked to solve a puzzling mystery and immediately is confronted with another, even more complicated. The first one concerns a valuable collection of rare books that Mrs. Horace Merriam commissioned a supposedly reputable art dealer to sell, but she now suspects that the man is a swindler. The second mystery revolves around the baffling theft of a beautiful marble statue.
To solve both mysteries, the famous young detective disguises herself and assumes a false identity.  Despite these precautions, danger stalks Nancy's every move. An attempted kidnapping, a nearly disastrous sailboat collision, and an encounter with a dishonest sculptor are just a few of the exciting challenges that Nancy is faced with as she gathers evidence against a clever ring of art thieves.
You will enjoy every moment of this thrill-packed story of how Nancy and her friends combine detective work and summer fun at a seaside resort.

Nancy and her friends establish headquarters in a seaside yacht club to investigate strange happenings in a book store and the disappearance of a marble statue.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible