Then There Were Five (Melendy Quartet) by…

Then There Were Five (Melendy Quartet) (original 1944; edition 2008)

by Elizabeth Enright (Author), Elizabeth Enright (Illustrator)

Member:rlsalvati
Title:Then There Were Five (Melendy Quartet)
Authors:Elizabeth Enright (Author)
Other authors:Elizabeth Enright (Illustrator)
Info:Square Fish (2008), Edition: 3, 272 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned, Children

Then There Were Five by Elizabeth Enright (1944)

The Melendy children continue to have delightful adventures in and around their home in the country, and one of those adventures eventually results in a new addition to the family.

I’m still enjoying these books very much. I noticed in this one a few comments indicative of the period in which they were written — somewhat stereotypical remarks about Gypsies and Indians. Nothing as pejorative as what is found in, say, Little House on the Prairie, but enough that modern readers might want to be aware of it. ( )
  foggidawn | May 1, 2018 |
It's summertime and Mona, Rush, Randy, and Oliver Melendy are enjoying country living in their strange and wonderful house called the 4-story Mistake.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
The Melendy family is another year older. This time Mona (15), Rush (14), Randy (12) and Oliver (almost 8) are collecting scraps to aid in the war effort. It's an interesting concept for a children's story. At each farmhouse (they still live in the country in that weird house) the children meet people they normally wouldn't ever encounter otherwise. At one particular house they meet Mark, a boy living in an abusive home. He becomes a fast friend...and the fifth member of the Melendy household. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Oct 31, 2016 |
Parts of this book were very powerful and/or very amusing, but the gender roles seem to be getting more strict now that the girls are getting older, and I find that a little wearing. It's extra wearing since I recognize that in our household, I tend to reinforce these gender stereotypes by doing most of the cooking and cleaning, not because it's my duty as a woman to cook and clean but just because people are hungry and things are messy and someone's got to do something about it. The result is the same, though, I fear. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jul 29, 2015 |
The third the Melendy series after The Saturdays and The Four-Story Mistake. In the same rural WW2 home front setting as Four Story Mistake. A fifth child is adopted into the family after the death of his evil guardian, which is a bit grim for a children's book.. This is the actual copy of the book I read as a child which I managed to get when the library discarded it. ( )
  antiquary | Aug 31, 2013 |
For two Roberts
What a noise there was that day!

With the arrival of Mark Herron, an orphan whom the Melendys befriend in their usual wholehearted way, a summer already full of happenings reaches yet another level of richness and fun.

"All summer!" said Rush, with his mouth full. "Think of it. All summer long."
"All summer what?" Mona wanted to know.
"Just all summer," Rush said happily. "I mean this is only the beginning of it. Dams and swimming and the garden and picnics and hot days and all. Oh, boy."
"Sometimes it will rain. And sometimes we'll get stomach-aches. And sometimes Cuffy will be cross," said Oliver realistically.
Rush laughed. "A pessimist at seven."

With Father in Washington and Cuffy away visiting a sick cousin, almost anything might happen to the Melendys left behind at the Four-Story Mistake. In the Melendy family, adventures are inevitable: Mr Titus and the catfish; the villainy of the DeLacey brothers; Rush's composition of Opus 3; Mona's first rhubarb pie and all the canning; Randy's arrowhead; the auction and fair for the Red Cross. But best of all is the friendship with Mark Herron which begins with a scrap-collection mission and comes to a grand climax on Oliver's birthday.
Here is Elizabeth Enright's story of a long and glorious summer in the country with the Melendy family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:26 -0400)

A summer that promises to be eventful turns into something extra special when the four Melendy children become friends with the orphaned Mark Heron.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,400,814 books! | Top bar: Always visible