Thunderball by Ian Fleming

Thunderball (original 1961; edition 2002)

by Ian Fleming

Member:iansales
Title:Thunderball
Authors:Ian Fleming
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (2002), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:novel, mainstream, reprint, paperback, given away harewood house

Thunderball by Ian Fleming (1961)

Recently added bywm3395, private library, faxe360, LilyRoseShadowlyn, 00151, michdj, Richard54, BrokenTune, AddamsOzeki, limulus29
Legacy LibrariesIan Fleming

English (30)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (32)
"This is a silly plan. This is the sort of melodramatic nonsense people write about in thrillers." and that criticism straight out of the mouth of the "bond girl" in this installment is probably one of my favourite lines in the series so far. Whoever said they were all shallow?!

I must have watched Thunderball about a gazillion times since I was a kid and I still couldn't say what the film was about. Reading it, the story is still a bit tepid - bad guys steal nuclear war heads and threaten the world - however, the descriptions in the book of everything that surrounds the plot - i.e. the development of characters, the depiction of fight scenes, the dialogues, the sea life are just great.

Of course, Bond is still Bond, and the sexist, chauvinist comments are there (in abundance) throughout the book, but one wouldn't set out to read a Bond novel without a bucket of salt at hand.
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
First Edition 1961
  bonedoc86 | Apr 24, 2016 |
Well, the cool thing about this is that when I was young, I didn't like the movie based on this, and I never read it, because of that. But, reading it now, I realize that this is a pretty good story! Bond is back, and trying to stop the bad guys who have stolen two nuclear warheads! The locale = Bahamas. The bad guy = Emilio Largo. The gal = Domino. And Felix is in this one, metal hook and all! But the best thing about this book is that it introduces SPECTRE, and it's #2 (in this book Largo is #1), Ernst Stavro Blofeld! Woot woot! And I guess I never had know what SPECTRE stood for, which is SPecial Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion! Quite the mouthful! Good story, good fun, and good bad guys! I especially enjoyed the final paragraph! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Apr 17, 2016 |
Not my favorite Bond movie (either version) and not my favorite novel either. Fortunately Fleming's average beats most other thriller writers at their best and this book is still entertaining enough. ( )
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
Well the first third of it was "James Bond takes a spa trip because he's getting out of shape." Not exactly the dashing womanizer we all know and love. It got much better once the nukes were nabbed.

Most of the action was sub-aquatic, which made it a bit awkward (the narrator admits that their fighting was anything but orthodox and I image the force probably wasn't the wham, bam, thank-you-ma'am we're used to with James).

Felix Leiter played a large role in the book, and I rather like Leiter, so I'm happy with that :) ( )
  benuathanasia | Oct 27, 2015 |
It was one of those days when it seemed to James Bond that all life, as someone put it, was nothing but a heap of six to four against.
Noted on title page: This story is based on a screen treatment by K. McClary, J. Whittingham and the author.

"When a stranger arrives in the Bahamas, the locals barely turn their heads, seeing another ex-pat with money to burn at the casino tables. But James Bond has more than money on his mind; he's got less than a week to find two stolen atom bombs hidden among the coral reefs. While acting the playboy, Bond meets Domino, sultry plaything of secretive treasure hunter Emilio Largo. In getting close to this gorgeous Italian girl, Bond hopes to learn more about Largo's hidden operation."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ian Fleming

Ian Fleming has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ian Fleming's legacy profile.

See Ian Fleming's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,184,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible