Thunderball by Ian Fleming

Thunderball (original 1961; edition 2002)

by Ian Fleming

Member:iansales
Title:Thunderball
Authors:Ian Fleming
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (2002), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:novel, mainstream, reprint, paperback, given away harewood house

Thunderball by Ian Fleming (1961)

English (30)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (32)
First Edition 1961
  bonedoc86 | Apr 24, 2016 |
Well, the cool thing about this is that when I was young, I didn't like the movie based on this, and I never read it, because of that. But, reading it now, I realize that this is a pretty good story! Bond is back, and trying to stop the bad guys who have stolen two nuclear warheads! The locale = Bahamas. The bad guy = Emilio Largo. The gal = Domino. And Felix is in this one, metal hook and all! But the best thing about this book is that it introduces SPECTRE, and it's #2 (in this book Largo is #1), Ernst Stavro Blofeld! Woot woot! And I guess I never had know what SPECTRE stood for, which is SPecial Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion! Quite the mouthful! Good story, good fun, and good bad guys! I especially enjoyed the final paragraph! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Apr 17, 2016 |
Not my favorite Bond movie (either version) and not my favorite novel either. Fortunately Fleming's average beats most other thriller writers at their best and this book is still entertaining enough. ( )
  MartynChuzz | Feb 22, 2016 |
Well the first third of it was "James Bond takes a spa trip because he's getting out of shape." Not exactly the dashing womanizer we all know and love. It got much better once the nukes were nabbed.

Most of the action was sub-aquatic, which made it a bit awkward (the narrator admits that their fighting was anything but orthodox and I image the force probably wasn't the wham, bam, thank-you-ma'am we're used to with James).

Felix Leiter played a large role in the book, and I rather like Leiter, so I'm happy with that :) ( )
  benuathanasia | Oct 27, 2015 |
This book contains the notice that it was based on a screenplay, by Fleming and others --part of the transformation of Bond into more a movie than a book character. Bond is sent for a rest cure and during a massage notices a fellow patient wearing what Bond learns is a Tong sign --this leads into contact with SPECTRE, an international crime organization run by Ernst Blofeld, whom Bond pursues for 3 books. Blofeld is a freelance, not a Soviet agent --he is in it for his own profit. In this book, he has gotten 2 atomic bombs and is using the to blackmail the UK and UK,. ( )
  antiquary | Jan 7, 2015 |
It was one of those days when it seemed to James Bond that all life, as someone put it, was nothing but a heap of six to four against.
Noted on title page: This story is based on a screen treatment by K. McClary, J. Whittingham and the author.

"When a stranger arrives in the Bahamas, the locals barely turn their heads, seeing another ex-pat with money to burn at the casino tables. But James Bond has more than money on his mind; he's got less than a week to find two stolen atom bombs hidden among the coral reefs. While acting the playboy, Bond meets Domino, sultry plaything of secretive treasure hunter Emilio Largo. In getting close to this gorgeous Italian girl, Bond hopes to learn more about Largo's hidden operation."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,253,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible