Thunderball by Ian Fleming
Authors:Ian Fleming
Info:Penguin Books Ltd (2002), Edition: New edition, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**
Tags:novel, mainstream, reprint, paperback, given away harewood house

Thunderball by Ian Fleming (1961)

English (32)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All (34)
I loved listening to Jason Isaacs read this. Bond is a bit different in the books than the movies. I loved his experience and attitude about the health resort, that was pretty funny! ( )
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
A moderately entertaining spy novel. The most interesting thing about this novel is how it almost read like a script and I could see the movie unfolding before me as I read it. The movie however, is better than the book. ( )
  bhuesers | Mar 29, 2017 |
"This is a silly plan. This is the sort of melodramatic nonsense people write about in thrillers." and that criticism straight out of the mouth of the "bond girl" in this installment is probably one of my favourite lines in the series so far. Whoever said they were all shallow?!

I must have watched Thunderball about a gazillion times since I was a kid and I still couldn't say what the film was about. Reading it, the story is still a bit tepid - bad guys steal nuclear war heads and threaten the world - however, the descriptions in the book of everything that surrounds the plot - i.e. the development of characters, the depiction of fight scenes, the dialogues, the sea life are just great.

Of course, Bond is still Bond, and the sexist, chauvinist comments are there (in abundance) throughout the book, but one wouldn't set out to read a Bond novel without a bucket of salt at hand.
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
First Edition 1961
  bonedoc86 | Apr 24, 2016 |
Well, the cool thing about this is that when I was young, I didn't like the movie based on this, and I never read it, because of that. But, reading it now, I realize that this is a pretty good story! Bond is back, and trying to stop the bad guys who have stolen two nuclear warheads! The locale = Bahamas. The bad guy = Emilio Largo. The gal = Domino. And Felix is in this one, metal hook and all! But the best thing about this book is that it introduces SPECTRE, and it's #2 (in this book Largo is #1), Ernst Stavro Blofeld! Woot woot! And I guess I never had know what SPECTRE stood for, which is SPecial Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion! Quite the mouthful! Good story, good fun, and good bad guys! I especially enjoyed the final paragraph! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Apr 17, 2016 |
It was one of those days when it seemed to James Bond that all life, as someone put it, was nothing but a heap of six to four against.
Noted on title page: This story is based on a screen treatment by K. McClary, J. Whittingham and the author.

There is clearly a problem with this disambiguation note which relates to a retelling of the Thunderball movie and not to Fleming's original novel. It would be good if someone who knew what they were doing could separate the two versions, which are certainly different works.

This work heading should be for the original 1961 novel and later editions, not any modified or abridged texts, nor the 1965 movie.

"When a stranger arrives in the Bahamas, the locals barely turn their heads, seeing another ex-pat with money to burn at the casino tables. But James Bond has more than money on his mind; he's got less than a week to find two stolen atom bombs hidden among the coral reefs. While acting the playboy, Bond meets Domino, sultry plaything of secretive treasure hunter Emilio Largo. In getting close to this gorgeous Italian girl, Bond hopes to learn more about Largo's hidden operation."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ian Fleming

Ian Fleming has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ian Fleming's legacy profile.

See Ian Fleming's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,177,662 books! | Top bar: Always visible