Jane Boleyn : The True Story of the Infamous…

Jane Boleyn : The True Story of the Infamous Lady Rochford (2007)

by Julia Fox

English (25)  Danish (1)  All languages (26)
To relate the story of Jane Boleyn, Anne Boleyn's sister-in-law, Fox did a great deal of research. Unfortunately, there was apparently little to unearth. In over 300 pages, Jane is quoted exactly twice: in a letter to Cromwell and a few sentences from her testimony regarding Katherine Howard. That's it. We don't know when she was born, where she was raised, how she was educated or even what she looked like. Even her last words from the scaffold (she was executed for her part in Katherine Howard's treachery) were not recorded.

Jane may or may not have been "elegant, poised, and animated," as Fox insists she was. But the fact is, we have no way of knowing. All but a few hours of her life are a complete mystery to us. The best Fox can do is guess--and guess she does, throughout the entire book. And for a history that encompasses the love affairs and executions of two fascinating queens, particularly one riddled with conjecture, the book is surprisingly dry. I used it as a sleep aid. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
2.5 stars - It was interesting to look at Jane Parker from a different and more sympathetic point of view, but it didn't really change my mind about her.

I had a few problems with this book; I felt it was a little presumptious on the part of the author to write the narrative as if she knew Jane's feelings and impressions. This really annoyed me very quickly. She also arranges her notes in the same odd manner as Elizabeth Norton, without any number and all lumped in together, which makes them hard to read. And why on earth is there a picture (or detail of a picture) of Jane Seymore on the cover?? ( )
  SabinaE | Jan 23, 2016 |
I kind of consider this "suspense" because....it's like "what's gonna happen next?"

Now then (in my opinion), this book isn't really about Jane herself, it's about Henry VIII (bloody sod that he was), Anne Boleyn (her rise & fall), the Boleyn Family, Jane Seymour, Katherine Howard, Cromwell, how Jane may or may not have fit into their lives and the Cromwell pawn that she eventually became . Back then, no one really paid that much attention to the Ladies in-waiting, unless they were playing around with Hank....and no one knows for sure exactly what Jane's role was in most of it. She just wasn't an important enough player at Court until Hank & Cromwell needed her to present witness against the Queens they wanted to get rid of.

This book reads like a story, not a non-fiction piece of work. We never get to know Jane as a person....but I use to think she was a conspiring, jealous "wannabe", which she wasn't. She happened to be an unsuspecting pawn swept up in the intrigues of a very nasty game of power & politics.

Updated Review: Who knew that I had read this before? Obviously it wasn't very memorable: This book is not so much the story of Jane Boleyn, as it is about Henry VIII, the Boleyns themselves, & the subsequent three wives of Henry VIII. As Jane Boleyn was on the sidelines there was not much known or written about her, so this book is mostly supposition about what would have been Jane's part in the Tudor Dynasty as a member of the court.

It is known that Jane was interrogated regarding the relationship of her husband, George Boleyn, with his infamous sister Anne... but there are no remaining records of what she actually said. Most other books make her out to be a jealous shrew.... This book explains what her role would have been as being one of the Queen's women, but not who she was as a person or her actual interactions with Anne.

There are no diaries, no letters, nothing much to support who she really was as a person..... If I had wanted to read in minute detail about the Boleyns, their rise & fall from power then I'd have rated this book much higher than I did. But as I wanted to know more about Jane herself.... This book fell very short and I was very disappointed. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
This book sat on my shelf for a while before I finally picked it up and read it. It took a little while to get into it, but in the end I did find it very interesting. After having read "The Other Boleyn Girl" I was interested to find out what was historical and what was fictional. This book took a very different take on Jane's role in the events surrounding Anne's death. While the book didn't give much information about Jane herself, I did like learning about the historical events surrounding her life. I think it is a fascinating time period and it is very interesting to think about Henry VIII's motivations, though of course this book is not about that. I'll have to find another book that focuses more on Henry VIII. ( )
  mtunquist | Nov 29, 2015 |
  mtunquist | Nov 29, 2015 |

Julia Foxprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
In Memory of My Parents
Their way was lit by the flickering light from great wax torches and to the soothing sound of chanted prayers, the mourners walked solemnly toward the three black-draped barges ready at the river's edge.

In a life of extraordinary drama, Jane Boleyn was catapulted from relative obscurity to the inner circle of King Henry VIII. As powerful men and women around her became victims of Henry’s ruthless and absolute power, including her own husband and sister-in-law, Queen Anne Boleyn, Jane’s allegiance to the volatile monarchy was sustained and rewarded. But the price for her loyalty would eventually be her undoing and the ruination of her name. For centuries, little beyond rumor and scandal has been associated with “the infamous Lady Rochford.” But now historian Julia Fox sets the record straight and restores dignity to this much-maligned figure whose life and reputation were taken from her.

Born to aristocratic parents in the English countryside, young Jane Parker found a suitable match in George Boleyn, brother to Anne, the woman who would eventually be the touchstone of England’s greatest political and religious crisis. Once settled in the bustling, spectacular court of Henry VIII as the wife of a nobleman, Jane was privy to the regal festivities of masques and jousts, royal births and funerals, and she played an intimate part in the drama and gossip that swirled around the king’s court.

But it was Anne Boleyn’s descent from palace to prison that first thrust Jane into the spotlight. Impatient with Anne’s inability to produce a male heir, King Henry accused the queen of treason and adultery with a multitude of men, including her own brother, George. Jane was among those interrogated in the scandal, and following two swift strokes from the executioner’s blade, she lost her husband and her sister-in-law, her inheritance and her place in court society.

Now the thirty-year-old widow of a traitor, Jane had to ensure her survival and protect her own interests by securing land and income. With sheer determination, she navigated her way back into royal favor by becoming lady-in-waiting to Henry’s three subsequent brides, Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves, and Catherine Howard. At last Jane’s future seemed secure–until an unwitting misstep involving the sexual intrigues of young Queen Catherine destroyed the life and reputation Jane worked so hard to rebuild.

Drawing upon her own deep knowledge and years of original research, Julia Fox brings us into the inner sanctum of court life, laced with intrigue and encumbered by disgrace. Through the eyes and ears of Jane Boleyn, we witness the myriad players of the stormy Tudor period. Jane emerges as a courageous spirit, a modern woman forced by circumstances to fend for herself in a privileged but vicious world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:11 -0400)

Exposes the inner sanctum of court life during the reign of Henry VIII through the eyes and ears of Jane Boleyn, wife of George Boleyn and sister-in-law to Queen Anne Boleyn. Jane emerges as a courageous spirit, a modern woman forced by circumstances to fend for herself in a privileged but vicious world.--From source other than Library of Congress.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,956,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible