Turtle Moon by Alice Hoffman

Turtle Moon (1992)

by Alice Hoffman

A young divorcee is murdered in the small town of Verity, Florida, and her baby girl is missing. Almost missing is a teen boy with a bad reputation who lives in the same building. A local officer and the boy's mother are on a quest to find the children. ( )
  lilibrarian | Mar 26, 2018 |
I am not really fond of magic realism, but I really enjoyed this book. What is not to like? It has a little romance, a baby, a murder and the magic realism. This is one of the better books I have read by Alice Hoffman. ( )
  dara85 | Nov 30, 2016 |
Recently divorced Lucy Rosen searches for the murderer of a young woman and neighbor after her troubled son flees with the woman's daughter and is presumed guilty of the crime. Alice Hoffman demonstrates again her mastery of the magical realism genre. ( )
  John_Warner | Jan 21, 2016 |
The first 3/4 of the book alternated between 2 and 3 stars for me. The last 1/4 really pulled me in and the magical elements were gorgeous. 4 stars for the last bit...maybe 5.

A synopsis feels almost impossible. I'm not even sure who the main character is. There are so many storylines and maybe that's why I didn't enjoy the first part of the book. I had a hard time figuring out why this was even written. It just felt very disjointed. But Hoffman finds a way to bring it all together, beautifully. ( )
  tnociti | Mar 9, 2015 |
Alice Hoffman captures the sweltering heat of the south and elevates it to a fable of passion and compulsion. The fairy tale voice is haunting. For awhile, mid-way through the book, fantasy yields to a fairly pedestrian mystery-thriller. Some of the charm of the book fell away when its characters went north. When they found their way back to the steamy south, fantasy mingled with brutal realism. Sweet and sour, deeply satisfying. ( )
  JackieCraven | Dec 25, 2013 |

When teenager Keith Rosen runs away from his Florida home - inexplicably taking along a motherless baby - his divorced mother is perplexed and terrified. she takes off on her own journey to find him. Turtle Moon follows their path in a suspenseful, beautifully written story that confirms once again the exquisite talent of Alice Hoffman.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:23 -0400)

Turtle Moon transports the reader to Verity, Florida, a place where anything can happen during the month of May, when migrating sea turtles come to town, mistaking the glow of the streetlights for the moon. A young single mother is murdered in her apartment and her baby is gone. Keith, a 12-year-old boy in the same apartment building, also disappears. In pursuit of the baby, the boy, and the killer, are Keith's divorced mother and a cop who was once considered the meanest boy in town.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,486,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible