Turtle Moon by Alice Hoffman

Turtle Moon (original 1992; edition 1997)

by Alice Hoffman

Member:mrssweetiebear
Title:Turtle Moon
Authors:Alice Hoffman
Info:Berkley Trade (1997), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:read 2013

Turtle Moon by Alice Hoffman (1992)

Alice Hoffman captures the sweltering heat of the south and elevates it to a fable of passion and compulsion. The fairy tale voice is haunting. For awhile, mid-way through the book, fantasy yields to a fairly pedestrian mystery-thriller. Some of the charm of the book fell away when its characters went north. When they found their way back to the steamy south, fantasy mingled with brutal realism. Sweet and sour, deeply satisfying. ( )
  JackieCraven | Dec 25, 2013 |
Good, somewhat suspenseful story. ( )
  Kristelh | Nov 16, 2013 |
This older Hoffman story was ok but not her best. I liked River King and Red Garden and others of hers better. This is more or less a murder mystery, and you could really spot every plot turn a mile away. Typical Hoffman touches - adolescent boy, adults who are slightly wounded by life events, magical realism- this time a young man killed in a car accident who lives as an angel near the tree where he died. I don't know - there was something a little contrived, a little too predictable, a little too unreal and unbelievable about it all. The old woman who takes care of foster children who put the baby born in tragic circumstances in the oven to bring him back to life, then raises him after his mother appears at her window several times? all seemed too neat and story-like. But, a fun listen, and if you missed big chunks of it, it didn't matter, I could still enjoy the overall storytelling.
  JaneReading | May 3, 2013 |
This book was enjoyable enough, but it kind of petered out at the end. The angel storyline was kind of weird too. I did enjoy the touches of magical realism, though (I think I see where Sarah Addison Allen gets at least some of her inspiration). I'm still interested in a number of Hoffman books and I will keep her in mind when I need something light. ( )
  cait815 | Apr 1, 2013 |
Februrary 2011 COTC Book Club selection. Listened to the audio narrated by Sandra Burr which was excellent, partly due to Burr's fantastic narration. Burr delineated voices very nicely, something I've been disappointed in with some of my other recent audio listens. Had to switch to the book to finish for book club, but I was enjoying the audio so much that I went ahead and finished listening as well. I really liked this and may seek out more of Hoffman's books on audio. The town of Verity itself is almost a character, kind of a malevelant one at that sometimes, and all the human characters are complex; many shouldn't even be all that likeable and yet I found myself sympathizing with almost everyone. One of the cool things is that Turtle Moon can be enjoyed simply as a suspense/mystery read or you could delve into the symbolism and other literary layers. I wonder if this could work as a high school or college novel study or maybe just as a book club read? Could be hard to place it in a high school since there's a sex scene or two, but it definitely works as a crossover for those teenagers mature enough to handle it. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |

When teenager Keith Rosen runs away from his Florida home - inexplicably taking along a motherless baby - his divorced mother is perplexed and terrified. she takes off on her own journey to find him. Turtle Moon follows their path in a suspenseful, beautifully written story that confirms once again the exquisite talent of Alice Hoffman.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:13 -0400)

After Lucy Rosen and her son Keith move to Verity, Florida, Keith runs away with the baby of a murdered woman, and Lucy and Officer Julian Cash pursue him.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,157,488 books! | Top bar: Always visible