Cotton Comes to Harlem by Chester Himes

Cotton Comes to Harlem

by Chester Himes

Recently added bypaulsellars, private library, LeseWeile, J.Rius, SoschaF, e-zReader, weird_O, mstrust, martinkalkerup, Eloise
Legacy LibrariesThomas C. Dent

Reverend O' Malley arrives in Harlem, quickly builds his own congregation, and soon organizes a Back-To-Africa campaign. For $1000 a family from Harlem will be transported to Africa and given land to start a new life, but at the final rally, when the Reverend and his staff have collected $87,000 in cash from the congregation, a delivery truck breaks in and robs the event. Coffin Ed and Grave Digger Jones, ace detectives from the local precinct are put on the case. They need to find the cash, bust the con man Reverend and trace a bale of cotton floating around Harlem. Though their lieutenant knows they're the best men for the job, Jones and Ed have been in trouble before because they tend to be violent. ( )
  mstrust | Feb 3, 2015 |
This author was unknown to me -- a little too hard-boiled for my taste but well-written and fast-paced. If you like Philip Marlow and Sam Spade, you will like this ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |
A better work than the previous Himes book I read, A Rage in Harlem, if only because Grave Digger and Coffin Ed have developed into slightly more fully fleshed characters than they were in that earlier book. (Though occasionally they still come across as caricatures of tough-guy characters.)

The book's biggest flaw is something that is not uncommon of crime and detective books of a certain age, that being its treatment and depiction of female characters. ( )
  g026r | Apr 29, 2012 |
Himes's novel is hard hitting, edgy and vibrant tale of two black detectives trying to keep the peace in crime ridden, poverty stricken Harlem. They are asked to swallow their pride and baby-sit a ex-con preacher from his old gang, but first they have to find him..

Precursor to Walter Mosley's black PI and reminiscent in tone of Dashiel Hammett this is a great combination of hard hitting noir and exploration of racism in the 60s. Hime's anger imbues novel with something special, edgier and more real. There is a fantastic contrast of petty (and not so petty) criminals depicted against law abiding insidious racists who are trying to claw back plantation workers by any means necessary and this gives the story a greater depth than it would otherwise had. Don't get me wrong it IS also just a great story, with a multitude of fun, semi-flawed and deeply flawed low-life's populating the pages. Its setting is brought vividly to life and enhanced with lovely little details on the eras typical scams and robberies. I was also struck by the book having such a strong female protagonist who was not at all a victim but was just as bad and mean as the men. OK it is still a noir and therefore misogyny is rife but more recent writers should take notes (Mr Mosley I am looking at you).

Highly recommended to all crime lovers. ( )
2 vote clfisha | Jul 21, 2010 |
Himes knows crime. In fact, his writing career began from within the walls of the Ohio Penitentiary, where he spent some time on an armed robbery conviction. His dialogue practically snaps on the page, his characters--though little more than exaggerated paper dolls--are memorable, and he does not submit to that unfortunate tendency among writers of crime fiction to deliver only brief, single-clause sentences. In fact, it would serve him well to knock a few clauses off of some sentences.

My first introduction to Himes was a Grave Digger Jones/Coffin Ed short story in the American Library's Crime Noir collection. I was fairly confused by the characters--what was their motivation? why so much racial hatred?--and by what seemed to me to be a fairly straightforward plot. Suspense is not a Himes trademark. But the story remained with me, and when I hit a used bookstore, I keep an eye out for his work.

The story revolves around $87,000, which was first defrauded from a number of Harlem families by a wolf in preacher's clothing, then stolen by a group of five men driving a meat truck, and then lost to both parties through some unusual circumstances. The protagonists--Grave Digger Jones and Coffin Ed--are presented as the only men able to handle the mean streets of Harlem, and the streets of Harlem can only be handled by violence. The racial divide in this novel is sharp. Himes' hite police officers are generally embarrassed by cursing and sexually loaded comments. Himes' black officers are willing to beat witnesses for additional information. At one point, Coffin Ed declares, "The law was made to protect the innocent." That said, the violence feels tame by today's standards. Folks are shot, run over, and set on fire. Femme fatales are slapped, kicked, and tied to chairs. A man has his hat shot off three times. But again, today's standards have really messed with our definition of violence.

I can't recommend this book, but I can't write Himes off as a valuable addition to American crime fiction. I'll probably pick him up again.

Parental Warning: Book includes foul language, some sexual content. ( )
1 vote dan.and.anna.julian | Jul 8, 2010 |
The voice from the sound truck said: "Each family, no matter how big it is, will be asked to put up one thousand dollars."
Originally published as the French translation of "Back to Africa": Retour en Afrique, [Paris] : Librairie Plon, 1964.
1st American ed. published: New York : Putnam, 1965.

A classic entry in Chester Himes’s trailblazing Harlem Detectives series, Cotton Comes to Harlem is one of his hardest-hitting and most entertaining thrillers.

Flim-flam man Deke O’Hara is no sooner out of Atlanta’s state penitentiary than he’s back on the streets working the scam of a lifetime. As sponsor of the Back-to-Africa movement, he’s counting on a big Harlem rally to produce a massive collection—for his own private charity. But the take is hijacked by white gunmen and hidden in a bale of cotton that suddenly everyone wants to get his hands on. As NYPD detectives “Coffin Ed” Johnson and “Grave Digger” Jones piece together the complexity of the scheme, we are treated to Himes’s brand of hard-boiled crime fiction at its very best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:44 -0400)

Con man Deak O'Hara is out of the state penitentiary and back on the street working the scam of a lifetime. The $87,000 he has schemed to get has been hijacked and hidden in a bale of cotton. Coffin Ed Johnson and Grave Digger Jones are on everyone's trail in one of their most entertaining thrillers.… (more)

19 wanted4 pay2 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,930,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible