The Miracle at Speedy Motors by Alexander…

The Miracle at Speedy Motors (edition 2008)

by Alexander Mccall Smith

Info:
Collections:Read but unowned, Stewart's Read
Tags:fiction, travel, Y10

The Miracle at Speedy Motors by Alexander McCall Smith

Recently added byJayakalathil, gpartha, mamabear54, karenchase, khage, private library, alanca, librarymom1

English (59)  Swedish (2)  All languages (61)

Short and sweet, since these are all pretty much the same, and I'm trying to blow through the rest (what are there, 7 more?) this year, if possible. Not surprisingly, they are usually available on Kindle loan from my public library...

I found this one slightly more poignant than usual. I loved the bit about what you can talk about with old friends and what you can't. And, I wasn't surprised by how McCall Smith finished this one. The end. ( )
  khage | Aug 15, 2015 |
I enjoyed this one. The poem (haiku?)at the end was the most emotional allusion I've seen him make to date about Africa's problems. ( )
  NoelleGreene | Mar 18, 2015 |
  NoelleGreene | Mar 18, 2015 |
Another installment in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series.

Fair warning. I love Alexander McCall Smith.

This was a satisfying chapter in the series. I liked how the plot progressed - I feel like we had the right amount of detective related plot and some more exposition on the main characters. I like how Smith has created the relationship be Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi and continues to build on its complexity while still showing their fondness for each other.

I am savoring these and trying to read only a couple a year - when I need something as comforting as a cup of red bush tea to read. :) ( )
  alanna1122 | Aug 19, 2014 |
really good. a good series. nice relaxed pace. good for the whole family. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
For my wife Elizabeth, a kind doctor, worker of miracles
The correct address of Precious Ramotswe, Botswana's foremost solver of problems - in the sense that this was where she could be found between eight in the morning and five in the afternoon, except when she was not there - was the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, c/o Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors, Gaborone, Botswana.

THE NO. 1 LADIES’ DETECTIVE AGENCY - Book 9

Fans around the world adore the bestselling No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, the basis of the HBO TV show, and its proprietor Precious Ramotswe, Botswana’s premier lady detective.  In this charming series, Mma  Ramotswe navigates her cases and her personal life with wisdom, and good humor—not to mention help from her loyal assistant, Grace Makutsi, and the occasional cup of tea.

Mma Ramotswe is busy investigating her latest case: a woman who is looking for her family. The problem is, the woman doesn't know her real name of whether any members of her family are now living. Meanwhile, Phuti Radiphuti has bought Mma Makutsi a glorious new bed. Unfortunately, it will inadvertently cause her several sleepless nights. And life is no less complicated at Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors, where Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni--Mma Ramotswe's estimable husband--has fallen under the sway of a doctor who has promised a miracle cure for his daughter's medical condition, which Mma Ramotswe finds hard to believe. But Precious Ramotswe deals with these difficulties with her usual grace and good humor, and in the end discovers that the biggest miracles in life are often the small ones.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:03 -0400)

In the ninth mystery of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, Precious Ramotswe visits a game preserve to uncover the truth about an elderly American traveler whose safari proves to be his last journey.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,051,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible