Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

Jitterbug Perfume (1984)

by Tom Robbins

Skinny Legs and All by Tom Robbins (jennyl.keen)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (jennyl.keen)
    Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut (Alialibobali)
    Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (Alialibobali)
    The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break by Steven Sherrill (Littlemissbashful)
    Littlemissbashful: Two books with two different takes on what happens to the old Gods and creatures of myth we leave behind. Tom Robbins delivers the usual multi-stranded story interwoven with flights of fantasy and a meditation on the 'seriousness of beats' while 'The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break' is the more low key minimalist story.… (more)

English (69)  German (1)  All languages (70)
Tom Robbins is a renowned writer, although I'm not sure who renowned by. This is my second book by him. I liked the first one and had high hopes for this one, maybe to high.

Alobar is born in ancient times, times where ones life expectancy is not that high. Priscilla is a young girl trying to find the right perfume recipe to make it rich, as are many others in the book.

*Spoiler*
Ok here is my problem with this book. I didn't find it funny what so ever. There were a few places where I "chuckled" but that was about it. I never had a spot that was hilarious. I actually wanted to punch some of the characters at times.

I think Robbins is not for me. I'm over this author really. I tried. Enough for me. ( )
  alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |

*Spoiler*

alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |
This is a story that begins in the forests of medieval Bohemia and doesn’t end until nine o’clock tonight (Paris time). Also, there are beets on nearly every page. Alobar is the ruler of a small kingdom whose tradition is for the king to commit ritual suicide at the first sign of old age. When his first gray hairs appear, Alobar decides he isn’t ready to die. After escaping his fate, he travels to Asia in search of the secret to immortality. Along the way he meets Kudra, a young woman who also isn’t ready to die by throwing herself on her husband’s funeral pyre as is tradition in India. Together they discover the secret to immortality and spend the next thousand years moving around enough to keep people from getting suspicious about their everlasting youth. Interspersed with their story are the stories of three twentieth-century perfumers in Seattle, New Orleans, and Paris.

I really liked this book, but I didn’t love it. It was very funny and thought-provoking at the same time, although I can see how this type of book wouldn’t be enjoyed by everybody. I can’t come up with any real weaknesses other than the fact that while it was very good, it never absolutely blew me away. I’ll definitely be reading more of Robbins’ books.

Some quotes that I particularly liked:

“The gods have a great sense of humor, don’t they? If you lack the iron and the fizz to take control of your own life, if you insist on leaving your fate to the gods, then the gods will repay your weakness by having a grin or two at your expense. Should you fail to pilot your own ship, don’t be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked … The price of self-destiny is never cheap, and in certain situations it is unthinkable. But to achieve the marvelous, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought.”

“His stay at the lamasery had become a rut, a tranquil, nourishing, educational rut that had done him little harm and much good, but a rut, nonetheless; his wheel was stuck in a ditch of light, so to speak, and he felt an overpowering urge to steer in the direction of darkness. If the earth needs night as well as day, wouldn’t it follow that the soul requires endarkenment to balance enlightenment?”

“The highest function of love is that it makes the loved one a unique and irreplaceable being.”

“… they were straining so desperately for admission to paradise that they had forgotten that paradise had always been their address.” ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
The story of four intersecting sets of characters, a bottle of wonderful perfume and a lot of beets. It takes awhile to see how the stories connect but everything does come together at the end. I liked the humor and the characters of Alobar and Kudra. There are a lot of interesting ideas on immortality and the human brain. The author comes across as very much against religion which personally took me out of the story. Not a favorite but I'm glad I read it. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
There are four strains of story told in parallel, which in the beginning don't seem to be related at all: Alobar is king in an ancient European land, Madame Duvalier has a small perfume shop in New Orleans, Priscilla is a waitress in Seattle and the LeFever cousins head a perfume imperium in Paris. In the end it all comes together seamlessly around a very special scent. The journey covers such topics as immortality, death, what makes a life worth living, the impact of scent. This sounds boring? Not at all: It is well wrapped in surprising twists and turns, and full of puns and word plays.

Whimsical, entertaining, comical, philosophical - this was a very enjoyable read, which I embarked on with no clue where it would take me. It had me a bit confused at first, but thoroughly hooked throughout and with a smile on my face. I was reading very slowly, in short bits - I did not want it to end!

I definitely will be reading more of his books.
  sushicat | Jan 14, 2016 |
The beet is the most intense of vegetables.

Obowiązkowa lektura dla miłośników „Pachnidła” Patricka Süskinda, a zarazem kolejne dzieło amerykańskiego prześmiewcy, autora m.in. książek: "Martwa natura z dzięciołem", "Na wpół uśpieni w żabich piżamach", "Kalekie dzikusy z gorących krajów" oraz kultowej, sfilmowanej przez Gusa Van Santa z Umą Thurman w roli głównej "I kowbojki mogą marzyć".

„Perfumy w rytmie jitterbuga” to powieść, której akcja rozpoczyna się w lasach dawnych Czech, a kończy dziś o dziewiątej wieczorem (czasu paryskiego). Bohater książki, dozorca, poszukuje pewnej butelki, niebieskiej, baaardzo starej i ozdobionej wizerunkiem bożka o kozich rogach. Jeżeli znajdujący się w niej płyn to faktycznie sekretna esencja wszechświata, jak uważają poniektórzy, dozorca musi się pośpieszyć, gdyż butelka cieknie i pozostała w niej ledwie kropla lub dwie.

"W powieści „Perfumy w rytmie jitterbuga” znajdziemy plejadę niecodziennych postaci, zafascynowanych nieśmiertelnością oraz perfumami. Warto samemu sprawdzić, dlaczego ta książka jest fascynująca, a przy tym gwarantuje świetną zabawę". "The Washington Post"

[Zysk i S-ka, 2004]

Jitterbug Perfume
is an epic.

Which is to say, it begins in the forests of ancient Bohemia and doesn’t conclude until nine o’clock tonight (Paris time).

If the liquid in the bottle actually is the secret essence of the universe, as some folks seem to think, it had better be discovered soon because it is leaking and there is only a drop or two left.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:37 -0400)

Jitterbug Perfume is an epic. which is to say, it begins in the forests of ancient Bohemia and doesn't conclude until nine o'clock tonight [Paris time]. It is a saga, as well. A saga must have a hero, and the hero of this one is a janitor with a missing bottle. The bottle is blue, very, very old, and embossed with the image of a goat-horned god. If the liquid in the bottle is actually is the secret essence of the universe, as some folks seem to think, it had better be discovered soon because it is leaking and there is only a drop of two left.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,189,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible