Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus S.) 1 by…

Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus S.) 1 (original 1987; edition 1998)

by Ian Rankin

Member:cindysprocket
Title:Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus S.) 1
Authors:Ian Rankin
Info:Orion Books (1998), Edition: 7th THUS, Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Mystery

Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin (1987)

English (84)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (91)
I should have read this one first, but since I was only one book out of order, it worked out well. I'm definitely going to be a fan of wounded, soulful, lonely, vulnerable, bookish Detective Inspector John Rebus. In this introductory volume we meet the man and several of his fellow crime fighters. There is an exquisitely plotted serial murder to solve, there are family members involved, and there is the mystic, misty, eerie "detectively" setting of Edinburgh. There are quite a string of these, the audios are well done, and I'm hooked. 3 1/2 stars
  tututhefirst | Jul 8, 2016 |
Being very finicky on police procedurals and the like, I dipped a toe into Rankin simply because of generally positive comments over time. This is his first Detective Rebus, and it kept my attention well enough. Certainly very dated to the 1980s. Story framework pretty good, characters well conceived. Will give his initial effort a passing grade, likely will pick up another. ( )
  JamesMScott | Jun 26, 2016 |
4.5 Stars ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
From Amazon:

My Thoughts:

This is the first of the Inspector John Rebus series by this very gifted author. Like all first time novels it has to find it's pace and we all know that the first effort sometimes doesn't show what the authors's capabilities are in their later works. Not true with Knots and Crosses. Ian Rankin's talents shine brightly from the very first page. He has a phenomenal way of describing Edinburgh so that you feel you are walking these ancient streets. He has created a intriguing character in John Rebus, someone with whom you empathize, someone you dislike and someone you pity all in a few hundred pages. I have read later books in this series and I can tell you they only get better and better. 4.5 stars for an excellent read. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
It's always interesting to see if the author of a new (to me) mystery series and his or her detective strike a chord with me. In the case of Rankin's John Rebus, the answer is a qualified yes, and I'll try another book or two to decide. Rebus is a detective in a police station and there is a lot of police back and forth. In addition, while it relates to the plot, there is an awful lot of background information about Rebus's time in the army and particularly in the special forces. The plot involves a serial killer who is abducting young girls, murdering them (but not sexually abusing them), and dumping their bodies in public spaces. Additionally, Rebus is getting mysterious and creepy anonymous letters with knots in them, and later crosses. There is a brother who is a hypnotist like their father and a journalist who suspects the brother of dealing drugs and Rebus of being corrupt and in league with him. There is also a romantic interest. Eventually, Rebus's daughter, who lives with his divorced wife, is abducted and attention turns to Rebus and his past life. As I noted above, the jury is out on Rankin and Rebus, but will continue the series, at least for a while.
1 vote rebeccanyc | May 22, 2016 |
Note from Kirkus' Vintage Review Editor:
In 1987 author Ian Rankin introduced Edinburgh, Scotland police detective John Rebus in his first novel, Knots and Crosses. Kirkus awarded the novel a starred review and encouraged our readers to carefully watch this newcomer. For the following 20 years, Rankin treated his loyal readers to a Rebus mystery every year or two until he retired him in 2006 in the excellent novel, Exit Music. As Rankin is bringing Rebus back in his new novel Standing in Another Man’s Grave, we remind you what we thought about Rankin’s first go-round with Rebus. — January 21, 2013

A compelling first novel sent in Edinburgh, where a series of killings of young girls has the city in a panic. Ex-army police detective John Rebus is in the thick of the investigation. Scarred by his elite-corps army training, a nervous breakdown and a divorce, father of teen-age Samantha, Rebus is a dogged but not too sharp investigator. The anonymous letters he starts to receive after the first murder are shrugged off as the work of a crank; he never questions the affluence of his rarely seen hypnotist brother Michael; and he never figures out the one factor common to all the victims. In the meantime, his girlfriend Gill Templet, a press liason policewoman, and hard-bitten, hard-drinking reporter Jim Stevens are smarter. It slowly becomes clear that the killer's focus is Rebus himself, who must finally confront an implacable enemy and hie own long-repressed traumatic memories. Solidly drawn characters, keen psychological insights and an intriguing, well-knit plot--along with a rather florid but individual writing style--make Rankin a newcomer to watch.
added by VivienneR | editKirkus Reviews

To Miranda

without whom

nothing is worth finishing
The girl screamed once, only the once.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312956738, Mass Market Paperback)

Detective John Rebus: His city is being terrorized by a baffling series of murders...and he's tied to a maniac by an invisible knot of blood. Once John Rebus served in Britain's elite SAS. Now he's an Edinburgh cop who hides from his memories, misses promotions and ignores a series of crank letters. But as the ghoulish killings mount and the tabloid headlines scream, Rebus cannot stop the feverish shrieks from within his own mind. Because he isn't just one cop trying to catch a killer, he's the man who's got all the pieces to the puzzle...

Knots and Crosses introduces a gifted mystery novelist, a fascinating locale and the most compellingly complex detective hero at work today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:05 -0400)

While investigating a series of gory killings of young, innocent girls, Edinburgh police detective John Rebus, a former member of Britain's elite SAS, discovers his own ties to the killer and is brought up against his own memories, which hold the key to unraveling the case.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,481,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible