Knots And Crosses by Ian Rankin

Knots And Crosses (original 1987; edition 2011)

by Ian Rankin, James McPherson (Narrator)

Member:Vegemite
Title:Knots And Crosses
Authors:Ian Rankin
Other authors:James McPherson (Narrator)
Info:Orion (2011), Audio CD
Tags:discs, spindle

Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin (1987)

English (75)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (82)
Very fun, a solid first effort, looking forward to reading more in the series. (Not before I got married, of course, which happened the day after I finished reading this) ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 22, 2016 |
With a detective named Rebus, there are bound to be puzzles in the story. There are, starting with who is killing girls in Edinburgh. There's also a hypnotist brother, lost memories, a bad experience with the SAS (basically Britain's special forces), a broken marriage, a preteen daughter,a nosy journalist, drug business, and a beautiful, smart woman.

This was definitely a fast read; I had to keep reading to the finish because of the plot and the puzzles, and I wanted to keep reading to discover more about Rebus. I plan to continue reading the series.

Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
An interesting read in that the novel is as much about the character development of our detective as it is about the mystery he's solving. The fact that he's a detective with a crime to solve almost takes a backseat to his personal character development. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
First Rebus novel. audio book. Rankin is reliable and fun. Good to go to the beginning. ( )
  idiotgirl | Dec 25, 2015 |
I have been reading a lot non-fiction lately; my plan was to devote the entire November to non-fiction. However I got a little run down and found myself in need of some mindless fiction. I picked up Knots and Crosses, the first book in the Inspector Rebus by Ian Rankin. While writing my review of Dexter is Dead, I felt the need to find a new crime series to read through, but I have particular taste; I want something with an interesting protagonist and an overarching story arc. I have heard some good things about the Inspector Rebus series, so I thought I would check it out.

Knots and Crosses starts off telling a lot of the backstory of John Rebus, former member of Britain’s elite S.A.S. suffering from PTSD. Using his connections he got out of the army and joined the police force. However Edinburgh is being terrorised by a serial killer who is taking teenage girls and someone is sending Rebus mysterious notes.

There is something very different about Knots and Crosses to the normal bestselling crime novels, it deals with developing the main character and the mystery seems to be back story. I enjoyed the way Ian Rankin did this but I am unsure about the series; I might have to attempt another book first. I found the mystery completely obvious but that did not bother me much, I was more interested in the characters more than the plot.

I am not sure if there is an overarching story arc in this series but there were a few threads left, so hopefully this means book two will continue on. Unfortunately the crime is not dark and gritty, like I normally enjoy but the character development made up for that. I am not sure how this will fit in throughout the series but I am curious enough to find out. If you know of a crime series that you think I might like, please let me know.

This review originally appeared on my blog; http://www.knowledgelost.org/book-reviews/genre/mystery/knots-and-crosses-by-ian... ( )
  knowledge_lost | Dec 23, 2015 |
Note from Kirkus' Vintage Review Editor:
In 1987 author Ian Rankin introduced Edinburgh, Scotland police detective John Rebus in his first novel, Knots and Crosses. Kirkus awarded the novel a starred review and encouraged our readers to carefully watch this newcomer. For the following 20 years, Rankin treated his loyal readers to a Rebus mystery every year or two until he retired him in 2006 in the excellent novel, Exit Music. As Rankin is bringing Rebus back in his new novel Standing in Another Man’s Grave, we remind you what we thought about Rankin’s first go-round with Rebus. — January 21, 2013

A compelling first novel sent in Edinburgh, where a series of killings of young girls has the city in a panic. Ex-army police detective John Rebus is in the thick of the investigation. Scarred by his elite-corps army training, a nervous breakdown and a divorce, father of teen-age Samantha, Rebus is a dogged but not too sharp investigator. The anonymous letters he starts to receive after the first murder are shrugged off as the work of a crank; he never questions the affluence of his rarely seen hypnotist brother Michael; and he never figures out the one factor common to all the victims. In the meantime, his girlfriend Gill Templet, a press liason policewoman, and hard-bitten, hard-drinking reporter Jim Stevens are smarter. It slowly becomes clear that the killer's focus is Rebus himself, who must finally confront an implacable enemy and hie own long-repressed traumatic memories. Solidly drawn characters, keen psychological insights and an intriguing, well-knit plot--along with a rather florid but individual writing style--make Rankin a newcomer to watch.
added by VivienneR | editKirkus Reviews

To Miranda

without whom

nothing is worth finishing
The girl screamed once, only the once.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312956738, Mass Market Paperback)

Detective John Rebus: His city is being terrorized by a baffling series of murders...and he's tied to a maniac by an invisible knot of blood. Once John Rebus served in Britain's elite SAS. Now he's an Edinburgh cop who hides from his memories, misses promotions and ignores a series of crank letters. But as the ghoulish killings mount and the tabloid headlines scream, Rebus cannot stop the feverish shrieks from within his own mind. Because he isn't just one cop trying to catch a killer, he's the man who's got all the pieces to the puzzle...

Knots and Crosses introduces a gifted mystery novelist, a fascinating locale and the most compellingly complex detective hero at work today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:05 -0400)

While investigating a series of gory killings of young, innocent girls, Edinburgh police detective John Rebus, a former member of Britain's elite SAS, discovers his own ties to the killer and is brought up against his own memories, which hold the key to unraveling the case.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,238,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible