Lionboy: The Chase (Lionboy Trilogy) by…

Lionboy: The Chase (Lionboy Trilogy)

by Zizou Corder

Series: Lionboy (2)

I can see looking at reviews of this novel online that I am in the minority for not liking this novel and so appreciate that there may be some appeal about it that simply eludes me.

The prose is overly simplistic and at times lacks coherence - sometimes causing sentences to run together and making action sequences seem hazy and unegaging. The pacing is poor, taking a good two thirds of the novel before it actually felt as though it was moving and, even then, there appears to be no rhyme and reason for the events that it portrays.

Although a lot of things do 'happen' within the novel, there is no sense of consequence. Scientists clone a smilodon which then escapes, but nobody makes any visible effort to reclaim this. A young boy gives an asthma inhaler to a sick girl and becomes worshiped by an entire city as an angel. Two kidnapped scientists escape from a gated community where they have been held prisoner for weeks with remarkable ease, yet no one appears to have noticed that they are gone. I know it's easy to brush off such criticisms by saying that this is a children's story, but that is really not an excuse for lazy story-telling.

The one redeeming feature of the novel was the character of Charlie, who remains a realistic and sympathetic hero, but for me this was not enough to save it. I'm also a bit baffled as to why this book is classed as being for both children and young adults. Although a younger audience might get a kick out of it, it certainly holds little appeal for a teen audience. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 8, 2014 |
Lion Boy The Chase by Zizou Corder was probably by far the worst book I have ever read. I started to read the first 50 pages and though to myself many times. "This sounds like other books, stories, and movies I have read in the paste. Well this continued for ever and ever making me not even want to turn to the next page. The author uses plain and boring visuals to show the mood and scene. Along with the targeted audience for this book being way off. I do not recommend anyone to read this. ( )
  ctmscyam | Mar 4, 2012 |
In this surprisingly action-drama, stars a young boy named Charlie Ashanti. This boy is very special however, where he can talk to any kind of feline. He's usually referred in this book as the "cat-speaker", but he unfortunately is the only one of his power. All in all, he still likes it that way. This book is also the second in the "Lion Boy" series and starts off where the first book left off.

Where the book left off is the point when Charlie lets his lions advance towards the King of Bulgaria, and finds out that the king will let him stay at his piazza in Venice. As a reader, you soon find out that the King will not go with Charlie, but his best body guard will. While all of this is going on, Charlie's parents are locked up in a building, which is run by an asthma drug company, called the Community. Their mission was to kidnap Charlie's parents and find out their cure for asthma. As you now know, that this company was an asthma drug company, so if they got rid of their cure, they can still have customers using their money on their product. If everyone had the cure, there would be no more customers.

We soon find our hero in King Boris's piazza in Venice where he has a strange welcoming. The king's bodyguard, Edward, had locked up the lions somewhere, and Charlie was not allowed to see them. After all, Charlie immediately found that irritating for just traveling half of the old world and went to him to negotiate. Edward soon told him that a couple of years ago, the king had a fight with the Doge of Venice. Edward wanted to clear up this dispute by presenting the Doge the "Lion of San Marco", the patriarch of Venice. He was going to do this by putting animatronic wings on the lion’s ancestor, who was the mysterious beast in the first book, Primo. Charlie hated this decision, but he soon made a plan to escape after Edward presented Primo with a local gondolier named Claudio.

When it came to that day, after Edward presented Primo, Charlie ran to his planned escape boat and boarded all of the lions; the Old lion, the Young lion, Elsina, the silvery lioness and the other lioness. Unfortunately after the people of Venice saw Primo, they announced him patron and replaced the evil Doge who was a tyrant to begin with. Primo told Charlie that he would love to go to Africa but decided to stay with his people. After that they were off to the port city of Essauoria in Africa. Meanwhile, Charlie's parents had escaped the wretched community and were searching for Charlie in Paris. They soon met up with Madgelan's older sister Mabel ,and had disputes and didn't want to talk to each other until they reached Essauoria.

When Charlie was reaching Essauoria, his boat crashed and sank. All of his friends and himself were tossed to shore and soon were taken care of. On the island Charlie defeats Rafi and Mocomo, his old boss and brings his lions back to their home in Africa. After a long good-bye Charlie finds his parents and soon they try to find a home.

Throughout my hours of reading this amazing book I will like to comment on three specific things. Those things are Zizou Corder's writing, the main story's idea, and some of the dislikes I had during this book.

In my best opinion, the author of the books writing, Zizou Corder is a very good writer. You can tell she has been writing for a very long time by finding no mistakes in the already edited copy. She also writes like a in book dictionary when a foreign word comes up, she says in parenthesis that that word means in that language. That can be very helpful for younger readers who might make up their own definition for that word. In my opinion I love the way she writes because she always makes it seem it is in real time but still be in the third person. This in retro-spec is really cool because in your head it seems like you are watching a movie but you’re the cameraman experiencing each feature about that chapter.

Another feature about this book that I like is the main idea of the story. I just like the whole lion theme because for some reason I've been on a high lately on lion based films, for example, the Narnia series and the Lion King. I also like in the story, the whole concept about a boy's parents being captured, and that the drive of his love for them creates a grand adventure. Although at some points, when his parents become captured by anti-social people, I found that predictable. Mostly every book in history ,that has a boy protagonist has his parents being captured, the Harry Potter series, the Percy Jackson series book 1. I thought she would have varied it a bit?

The faults are few in this book, one of them is that I felt like I became lost in the words of the book and I could not read faster, maybe that is just me? Zizou Corder's perfect writing just didn't feel normal to me. Sometimes I found myself reading the same sentence twenty times. The final comment I have ,is that the ending was very vague in a sense that the series could have ended right there! That makes the reader think that all of the enjoyment of the lions will not come back, so a lot of people who liked that aspect of the book might drop it. ( )
  ctmsjadi | Nov 3, 2011 |
Lionboy was a very good book. I especially like how he was scratched and now can talk to cats. ( )
1 vote Msmith1717 | Jun 9, 2011 |
Charlie's continuing journey across Europe sees him and the Lions making new friends, fierce enemies and learning more about the Corporacy's dastardly plot. Good stuff with a few twists and turns. ( )
  Clurb | Jun 9, 2008 |

Zizou Corderprimary authorall editionscalculated
D'Achille, GinoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Charlie and his lion friends have made it safely to Venice, but it turns out that their journey has only just begun. King Boris's palace was meant to be a haven, but it's starting to feel more like a prison. When word arrives from the cat grapevine that his parents are not being held in Italy after all, Charlie knows he must take fast action. Luckily a new ally has come on the scene-and just in the knick of time: Rafi is in hot pursuit.

This second book in the Lionboy trilogy is even more action-packed than the first, offering clever escapes, shipwreck, a prehistoric beast named Primo who will prove himself a great hero, and surprises that will shock and delight. It's an exhilarating, suspenseful whirlwind of a story, and readers will be clamoring for more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:14 -0400)

After saving the lions from evil Maccomo, Charlie, a boy with the ability to speak the language of cats, goes to Venice to search for his parents and solve the mystery of their kidnapping with help from Bulgarian King Boris.

Zizou Corder is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,309,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible