The Stone Virgins: A Novel by Yvonne Vera

The Stone Virgins: A Novel (2002)

by Yvonne Vera

I've been trying to get into this for a while but I've finally admitted defeat. Nearly halfway into it and it's beautifully written and there is nothing I can grab onto for the faint hope of a plot line. It's reminding me of Nadine Gordimer, I just can't seem to connect with what is happening. I won't give it up yet, I'll put it back on the shelf and give it another try sometime and maybe I'll be able to figure it out.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
I found it that very hard to read. It’s not that there is no plot, or no characters whatsoever. But they are hard to anchor to as individuals. They appear very much as portions of a texture. I couldn’t really back away and see the whole picture, so I couldn’t hold on to that either. Nevertheless, I really liked these descriptions. Very evocative.

Full review: http://reading.kingrat.biz/reviews/stone-virgins-yvonne-vera ( )
  KingRat | Jan 14, 2010 |

Yvonne Veraprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Scherpenisse, WimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To John H.C. Jose
For your essential and remarkable qualities,
travels and earth harmonies
Selborne Avenue in Bulawayo cuts from Fort Street (at Charter House), across to Jameson Road (of the Jameson Raid), through to Main Street, to Grey Street, to Abercorn Street, to Fife Street, to Rhodes Street, to Borrow Street, out into the lush Centenary Gardens with their fusion of dahlias, petunias, asters, red salvia, and mauve petrea bushes, onward to the National Museum, on the left side.

Winner of the Macmillan Prize for African Adult Fiction

An uncompromising novel by one of Africa's premiere writers, detailing the horrors of civil war in luminous, haunting prose

In 1980, after decades of guerilla war against colonial rule, Rhodesia earned its hard-fought-for independence from Britain. Less than two years thereafter when Mugabe rose to power in the new Zimbabwe, it signaled the begining of brutal civil unrest that would last nearly a half decade more.

With The Stone Virgins Yvonne Vera examines the dissident movement from the perspective of two sisters living in a small township outside of Bulawayo. In a portrait painted in successive impressions of life before and after the liberation, Vera explores the quest for dignity and a centered existence against a backdrop of unimaginable violence; the twin instincts of survival and love; the rival pulls of township and city life; and mankind's capacity for terror, beauty, and sacrifice. One sister will find a reason for hope. One will not make it through alive.

Weaving historical fact within a story of grand passions and striking endurance, Vera has gifted us with a powerful and provocative testament to the resilience of the Zimbabwean people.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:26 -0400)

"In 1980, after decades of guerrilla warfare against colonial rule, Rhodesia earned its hard-won independence from Britain. Less than two years later, Robert Mugabe's rise to power in the new Zimbabwe brought an explosion of violence across the land that reverberates to this day." "In The Stone Virgins, author Yvonne Vera examines the dissident movement - a subject long taboo among her countrymen - from the perspective of two sisters living in a small township outside of Bulawayo. She explores their quest for dignity and a centered existence against a backdrop of appalling brutality; the rival tension between township and city life; and the twin instincts of survival and love that motivate them in the face of mankind's capacity for terror, beauty, and sacrifice." "Weaving historical fact into a story of grand passions and striking endurance, Vera has fashioned a portrait of life before and after the liberation that is both radiant and haunting. The result is a powerful and provocative testament to the resilience of the Zimbabwean people that will not soon be forgotten."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,480,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible