Valdez is coming by Elmore Leonard

Valdez is coming (original 1970; edition 1970)

by Elmore Leonard

Member:Crispi
Title:Valdez is coming
Authors:Elmore Leonard
Info:Greenwich, Conn. : Fawcett Publications, c1970.
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Westerns

Valdez Is Coming by Elmore Leonard (1970)

I know this is considered one of Elmore Leonard's best non-crime novels. But...it was not my kind of story. Will have to try one of his crime novels instead. ( )
  kammbiamh | Mar 25, 2018 |
A very enjoyable book; perhaps not as tight and balanced as some of Leonard's short stories in the same vein, but part of the fun with him is that he's not afraid to have his plots go wherever they need to. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
An almost perfect novel. Loved it. ( )
  OnlyWhenILarf | Jan 14, 2017 |
I loved how compact and straightforward this Western was. It's got everything you want for the genre--a character seeking justice, a power-mad cowboy, gunfights and chases through the desert. My only complaint is that the love story is a bit thin and not so compelling. Overall, this is a blast and a good choice if you're just getting into the genre. ( )
  wethewatched | Jan 7, 2016 |
I listened to this as a short story in [b:The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard|85222|The Complete Western Stories of Elmore Leonard|Elmore Leonard|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348134793s/85222.jpg|168059]. The first chapter of this book is a cut down version of that & the rest of the book has a totally different tone.

The setup of the situation in the first chapter was masterful as was the portrayal of Tanner. The way Valdez & Tanner got Valdez into the situation was a devilishly clever by Leonard. The more I think about it, the better I like it.

It had a lot of pretty good action, but the motivations didn't work for me at different times. Valdez's character was erratic & didn't seem complete. Everyone seemed to know everyone, so the dichotomy of the perception of Valdez was tough to swallow. The innkeeper knew who he was. Part of the problem is that too much was taken out of the short story, I think.

A few more issues off the top of my head:
- Valdez never gave any thought to compensation for Diego. He's going through all this for a woman who doesn't know what money is (according to one source), yet he wouldn't have any motivation for a friend, someone who had just done him a few big favors. He owed Diego a rifle, too.
- RL Davis was too much. I can understand him cutting Valdez free to get back at Tanner in a small way, but his position when using the bound woman as bait didn't make any sense. He had time to set up. Not a word from him at the end, either. He should have babbled some.
- Segundo & his men getting ahead of Valdez at the end didn't make sense to me. Maybe I missed something.

- Was the black man a deserter or not? Seems to me I heard he wasn't in one early part (possibly I assumed) & then that he was later during the woman's story. Part of the problem with audio books is the difficulty in going back to re-read a bit. This isn't Leonard's issue, just mine.

With all that, how could I still give this 3 stars? Because the rest of it was so well written. It's pretty easy to look past the problems when the story sucked me along at warp speed & it did. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380822237, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:23 -0400)

They laughed at Roberto Valdez and then ignored him. But when a dark-skinned man was holed up in a shack with a gun, they sent the part-time town constable to deal with the problem -- and made sure he had no choice but to gun the fugitive down. Trouble was, Valdez killed an innocent man. And when he asked for justice -- and some money for the dead man's woman -- they beat Valdez and tied him to a cross. They were still laughing when Valdez came back. And then they began to die...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,500,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible