The Girl Who Invented Romance by Caroline B.…

The Girl Who Invented Romance

by Caroline B. Cooney

Kelly is a high school junior who is eager for romance. As she and her friends analyze boys and get crushes, she finds herself falling into a relationship. Meanwhile, her parents' perfectly romantic marriage seems to be heading for the rocks. In reaction, Kelly invents a romance game as a project for sociology class.

A funny and romantic book, with a lot fewer tears than many of Cooney's teen novels. ( )
  readinggeek451 | Nov 18, 2010 |
Though it was hard to really get into, this was a really cute book. The characters were all diverse and enjoyable, the plots and issues flowed together really well, and the humor will have you giggling on every page.

I like how nothing ended up how it started. Towards the beginning, there was a lot of foreshadowing when it came to the relationship of certain characters, but it switches up and for that, I was very thankful. There isn’t too much to the plot, so you end up depending on the characters for substance, which is fortunately given.

The game is hard to imagine, hard to picture in your head. Luckily for me, the copy I got from the library had the actual game attached the back. It’s an awesome visual and helps you appreciate the story a lot more, so try to get a hold of that if you plan on reading!

Overall, it was very adorable. Well written and humorous, this book will have you planning your very own party- complete with snacks and the romance game. If I could’ve taken the game out of the book, I probably would’ve gathered some friends and played myself. I definitely recommend checking it out! ( )
  katiedoll | Sep 7, 2010 |
One of my absolute favorite books! Kelly observes the romances between her parents, schoolmates, brother, and neighborhood boy magnet all the while developing a board game called "Romance" for a class assignment. Meanwhile, Kelly discovers a romance of her own. I found this book both insightful and hilarious. ( )
  desislc | Oct 4, 2007 |

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:37 -0400)

While waiting for her first big romance and observing the sometimes rocky love affairs of her parents and brother, sixteen-year-old Kelly develops a board game called Romance. How can a girl have fun with a game if she's only watching from the sidelines? That's what sixteen-year-old Kelly Williams wonders when her best friend, Faith, complains that it's time to stop pretending and find real romance. As Kelly sees her friends, her older brother and even her parents knowingly and unknowingly play at romance, she decides to create a real game - a board game called Romance that captures the way people behave in matters of love and dating. From broken hearts to happily ever after, Caroline Cooney's inventive novel is sure to capture readers' hearts.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,050,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible