When the Women Come Out to Dance: Stories by…

When the Women Come Out to Dance: Stories (2003)

by Elmore Leonard (Author)

English (14)  Swedish (1)  All languages (15)
loved it! ( )
  mark-f-r-ritchie | Feb 19, 2016 |
Fire In the Hole is superb! A wild ride for a such a short story! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
placeholder8
  jrthebutlertest | Sep 23, 2015 |
THIS is how you write dialogue! My GOSH Leonard is a master without parallel! He needs to live forever, because once I'm done reading all his books, I just don't know what I'll do to satiate my craving for crime fiction. I haven't written much fiction, but if/when I do, undoubtably his method will seep in to my narrative. There simply isn't another writer worth being influenced by as far as human interaction goes. The fact that the characters in these short stories are familiar from previous books is even more delicious gravy. Masterful, just masterful.
  MartinBodek | Jun 11, 2015 |
It's been decades since I've read anything by Elmore Leonard and I'm not sure why. I'm a big fan of the TV show Justified, which is based on one of his characters, and I've been meaning to read the short story, "Fire in the Hole" for a while now. It was great - basically the first episode of the series. I went ahead and read the rest of the stories included here and they were, for the most part, just as good. I especially liked "The Tonto Woman", "When the Women Come Out to Dance", and "Karen Makes Out". An entertaining read with great characters and dialog. ( )
  coppers | Apr 13, 2015 |
Both When the Women Come Out to Dance (2003) and Fire in the Hole: Stories (2012) include the stories:

-- "Sparks"
-- "Hanging Out at the Buena Vista"
-- "Chickasaw Charlie Hoke"
-- "When the Women Come Out to Dance"
-- "Fire in the Hole"
-- "Karen Makes Out"
-- "Hurrah for Capt. Early"
-- "Tonto Woman"
-- "Tenkiller"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060586168, Paperback)

What a treat! The nine stories in this collection--some never before published, others available only in anthologies or magazines-- demonstrate why Elmore Leonard has achieved both bestsellerdom and critical acclaim. Ranging in length from a four-page trifle to two novellas of 50-plus pages, these are gems of sly humor, suspense, and, above all, character. Most are in the contemporary crime-fiction vein that made Leonard famous, but a few are more contemplative set pieces, and there's one fine Old West story (Leonard was a Western writer before he became a crime king).

Longtime fans will recognize some familiar faces, including the U.S. marshals Raylan Givens, from 1993's Pronto and 1995's Riding the Rap, and Karen Sisco, from 1996's Out of Sight (played by J. Lo in the movie). But whether familiar or new, the people in these stories lunge off the page and seize you by the lapels. Nobody writes character and dialogue like Leonard. In fact, several tales feature some rural white-trash bad guys who are so utterly plausible that you'll look over your shoulder next time you drive a country road.

The short story format suits Leonard's stripped-down style beautifully. While one or two of the slimmer pieces feel a bit disposable, all nine are engaging, and the best are breathtakingly good--the crispest, best- plotted stuff Leonard has published in years. --Nicholas H. Allison

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Driven by terrific characters and superb writing, these short pieces (including two novella-length works) are Elmore Leonard at his economical best.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,734,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible