Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring…

Artists' Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages (2004)

by Lynne Perrella

A wonderful book showing techniques to use when creating an illustrated journal. ( )
  senikara | May 20, 2009 |
covers at http://tinyurl.com/8ehs6 (imageshack.us PhotoBlog)
by http://what.ticio.us

A Perfect Balance!, April 7, 2004
Reviewer: Karen Cote "kcqwilter" (Rochester, NY United States) -

As an avid admirer of Lynne's work, I purchased this book expecting to see more examples of her journals, and I would have been very satisfied if that was all I'd found. But the book goes way beyond displays of wonderful journal pages. It's stuffed full of ideas and examples - not just one, but sometimes 20 or 30 different 'takes' on a technique, with a brief description of how to approach each one.
The title says it all - Exploring (the examples are fabulous, varied and stimulating) and Creating (there's just enough information to tell you what to do without drowning you in tedious 'how-to'). If you love exploring a new technique, but need only a nudge instead of endless step-by-step instructions, this is a book that you MUST have on your shelf. If you're stuck, and looking for some inspiration, flip to any page and you'll be struck with more ideas than you can implement at one time. If you just want to explore the world of art journalling, this is a great book to snuggle up with and enjoy.

I'm thrilled to add this book to my collection, and it's one I'll refer to again and again - not just for the eye candy, but for the solid examples and techniques as well. Lynne has really outdone herself, and has achieved a perfect balance of inspiration and instruction!

Yes, you do need this book, April 20, 2004
Reviewer: M. J. Walters "dargelos" (Chicago, IL USA) -

I don't care how many books you have on altered books, artists' journals, etc., this is a book you'll come back to over and over again. It presents material in an orderly fashion, though never in a predictable one. Not only is each technique or idea explained, but there are examples of each. The only people who might not benefit from this book are the ones who need a literal cookbook of instructions: "Take item A, place three inches from top of item B, on the left." Highly recommended both as inspiration and an easy-to-use reference work.

Artists Journals and Sketchbooks: Exploring and Creating Personal Pages, August 31, 2005
Reviewer: Elizabeth M. Robinson "E Robins" (SE USA) -

Disappointed with this book. I found it very light in fundementals of bookmaking. Lots of pictures of examples of things made, however if you are a fairly creative persons this really offers nothing new. ( )
  libroo | Nov 7, 2005 |

Giving encouraging advice on matters ranging from how to get started to what types of writing utensils work well over paint, this title shows reader how to turn simple spiral notebooks into personal works of art by creating covers using household objects, flea market finds and other fanciful elements.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,490,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible