City of Bones by Michael Connelly

City of Bones (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Michael Connelly

Member:writestuff
Title:City of Bones
Authors:Michael Connelly
Info:Little, Brown (2002), Edition: 1st ed, Hardcover, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

City of Bones by Michael Connelly (2002)

American (9) audio (9) Bosch (18) California (16) Connelly (13) crime (107) crime fiction (39) detective (48) ebook (16) fiction (209) First Edition (10) Harry Bosch (127) Los Angeles (42) Michael Connelly (14) murder (22) mystery (232) Mystery/Thriller (11) novel (15) own (10) paperback (8) police (21) police procedural (25) policier (11) read (37) series (25) suspense (23) thriller (76) to-read (28) unread (9) USA (23)

English (42)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (46)
Michael Connelly is a good author. In the sense that I began reading this book on Tuesday, and finished it on Saturday. It's a book that I wanted to keep reading. That said, I don't feel too much desire to read any more of his books. I've read only 2 now, but I can see the themes that he writes about. Death, and the investigation that ensues. And a relationship between the male investigator and a woman somehow involved in the case. Something MUST happen to the relationship because of the male's lack of trust, and it ends. The male is then left alone. Oh, and then the case is probably solved--but not in a way where the good guys always win. Instead, despite that the good guys win, the wins are bittersweet. I liked it for 1 book, not as much the 2nd book, but just have no desire to read it again. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
I love Jace Wayland. Need I say more? ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
Harry Bosch investigates the murder of a 12-year-old runaway ( )
  TonySandel2 | Mar 19, 2014 |
On New Year's Day, Detective Harry Bosch receives a phone call that a dog has found a bone - a bone that the dog's owner, a doctor, is convinced is human. During the subsequent investigation, that discovery leads Harry to a shallow grave in the Hollywood Hills, evidence of a murder committed more than twenty years earlier. It's a cold case, but it stirs up the detective's deeply buried memories of his own childhood as an orphan in the city. Especially when the bones are identified to be those of a child - a twelve-year-old boy.

Harry can not let this case go. He's absolutely determined that the child will not be forgotten. Unearthing hidden stories, Harry eventually discovers the child's true identity and begins to slowly reconstruct the boy's fractured life.

At the same time, a burgeoning love affair with a female rookie cop begins to blossom for Harry - until a devastatingly botched mission leaves him in more trouble than ever before in his turbulent career. As the investigation races toward its unexpected conclusion, Harry is left on the brink of an unimaginable decision...

I thought that reading this book was quite intriguing. In my opinion, the writing was very clear and easy to follow. This actually was the first book by Michael Connelly that I've ever read, and the eighth book in this particular series.

Despite that, the mystery wasn't too difficult for me to understand. Although I will say that, at least for me, the ending was slightly anticlimactic - leaving me with a couple of unanswered questions. Overall though, City of Bones by Michael Connelly earned a definite A! and I look forward to reading more from this author in the future. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Dec 26, 2013 |

Michael Connellyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Castagnone, Maria GiuliaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jansen in de Wal, MartinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larsson, EvaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lorentzen, Peter A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for John Houghton, for his help, the friendship and the stories
The old lady had changed her mind about dying but by then it was too late.
"You know," Bosch whispered, "I'm starting to think it comes as a relief when you tell it's just the cops after that knock. At least then they know it's not an earthquake."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0446699535, Paperback)

Since his first appearance in 1992's Edgar-winning The Black Echo, Detective Hieronymous "Harry" Bosch has joined Dennis Lehane's Patrick and Angie, George Pelecanos's Derek Strange, and Greg Rucka's Atticus Kodiak in the pantheon of new-school hard-boiled detectives. Rather than giving Bosch a clever gimmick (like Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme, who is a quadriplegic), Michael Connelly embraces the noir archetype: Bosch, an L.A. homicide detective, is a chain-smoking loner who refuses to play by his superiors' rules. Although he has quit smoking, Harry's still the same tightlipped outsider, taking each crime as a personal affront as he tries to cleanse his beloved city of the darkness he sees engulfing it.

In City of Bones, Connelly's eighth Bosch title, Bosch and his well-dressed partner, Jerry Edgar, are working to identify a child's skeleton, buried for 20 years in the forest off Hollywood's Wonderland Drive, and to bring the killer to belated justice. For Bosch this is more than just another homicide, as the mystery child, beaten and abandoned, comes to represent much of what he sees as evil in his city. Add in a tragic love affair with a fellow cop, complications from overzealous media, and the growing feeling that he's fighting a losing battle about which no one cares, and the usually stoic Bosch is pushed to his limits. This isn't the strongest plot Connelly has concocted for Bosch, but it leads to an ending the whole series has been building toward. The conclusion may not shock longtime fans, but it will leave them wondering where the series will go from here. --Benjamin Reese

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:00 -0400)

Harry Bosch, Los Angeles police detective, is haunted by a twenty-year-old murder case about the bones of an eleven-year-old child which were found scattered in the Hollywood hills.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible