The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for…

The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Twyla Tharp

Member:GVassmer
Title:The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life
Authors:Twyla Tharp
Info:Simon & Schuster (2003), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 256 pages
Tags:APH

The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life by Twyla Tharp (2003)

Twyla Tharp, a well-known choreographer since the sixties, details out the creative process steps in great detail. She starts by detailing out the preparation steps, continues onto describing the creation and evolution processes, and ends with the final creative project/piece and the analyzation of feedback received from one's audience. She also discusses the learnings that can be taken from all experiences throughout the process, both positive and negative. Because choreography involves several different creative layers, talents, skills, and education - music, dance, physical fitness, teaching, etc.

This book was well organized in a way that any creative professional or aspiring creative professional can see a bullet point list of the exact stages of creativity and pinpoint where his or her focus should be at different times. Many exercises are also given for each chapter to assist in nurturing these best practices and excelling at creative endeavors. This book is one that is good to keep on hand and refer back to for a refresher anytime you get in a "rut". Although I feel that she focuses a little more on choreography and dance than necessary, I still thoroughly enjoyed the book, even if I didn't really follow some of the concepts when referencing her profession. I also didn't find those parts of the book particularly helpful or enjoyable, but some of the content did provide supporting elements.

I would recommend this book to anyone struggling with their creativity, desiring to become more of a creative person or starting a new creative endeavor, or a professional creative even just to go back and master some of the basic elements that may be skipped or breezed pass out of habit and repetitiveness. As a creative professional myself, I will be referencing this book often and using the exercises to expand my creative mind. ( )
  dazedbybooks | Nov 23, 2017 |
Inspiration and genuine creativity in each chapter. I'm sure that there are new ideas or ways of thinking for anyone here. The book certainly was inspiring to me and helped to generate new idea and ways of thinking. ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
I thought this had some great insights and interesting experiences. I totally want to see Movin' Out now! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Subtitle: Learn It and Use It for Life ( )
  Elishibai | Jan 8, 2016 |

Twyla Tharpprimary authorall editionscalculated
Reiter, Marksecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To my mother Lecille Confer Tharp, for making sure I had all the tools I would need.

To my father, William Albert Tharp, for giving me the DNA to build things from scratch.

To my son, Jesse Alexander Huot, for helping me create each new day.
I walk into a large white room.
In the end, there is no one ideal condition for creativity. What works for one person is useless for another. The only criterion is this: Make it easy on yourself.
Metaphor is the lifeblood of all art.

All it takes to make creativity a part of your life is the willingness to make it a habit. It is the product of preparation and effort, and is within reach of everyone. Whether you are a painter, musician, businessperson, or simply an individual yearning to put your creativity to use, The Creative Habit provides you with thirty-two practical exercises based on the lessons Twyla Tharp has learned in her remarkable thirty-five-year career.

In "Where's Your Pencil?" Tharp reminds you to observe the world -- and get it down on paper. In "Coins and Chaos," she gives you an easy way to restore order and peace. In "Do a Verb," she turns your mind and body into coworkers. In "Build a Bridge to the Next Day," she shows you how to clean the clutter from your mind overnight.

Tharp leads you through the painful first steps of scratching for ideas, finding the spine of your work, and getting out of ruts and into productive grooves. The wide-open realm of possibilities can be energizing, and Twyla Tharp explains how to take a deep breath and begin...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:43 -0400)

Whether you are a painter, musician, businessperson, or simply an individual yearning to put your creativity to use, The Creative Habit provides you with thirty-two practical exercises based on the lessons Twyla Tharp has learned in her remarkable thirty-five-year career.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,808,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible