The Dirty Girls Social Club: A Novel by…

The Dirty Girls Social Club: A Novel (2003)

by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez

English (19)  Spanish (1)  All (20)
A Latina [Waiting to Exhale]. I enjoyed the book and the author shows promise. I think it may have been better with one fewer character, so that the author could expound more on the remaining women's problems. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 14, 2016 |
Narrated by Isabel Keating. Follows a year in the life of six college friends, the "sucias" or "dirty girls," now in their late 20s: Lauren, half Cuban and half Cajun, is a newspaper columnist in Boston who has rotten luck with men. Usnavys, a full-sized, fashionable Puerto Rican from the 'hood, is conflicted between her desire for the good life and her love for Juan who can't pay for it. Rebecca is the business-oriented, directed head of Ella magazine who is trapped in a loveless marriage to Brad and attracted to Andre, the Nigerian Brit who provided the start-up funds for her magazine. Amber, an aspiring rock star, is all about recognizing the Aztec and Mayan ancestors and the strength those cultures bring to the Latino people. Sara, a Cuban Jew, is married to Roberto, an abusive husband, a fact she doesn't admit to herself or her sucias. Elizabeth is a black Colombian lesbian whose outing by a newspaper threatens her job as a TV news anchor.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I chose this for an entertaining summer read to give myself a break from the heavier challenge list reading I've been doing. It certainly lived up. This is a story about Latina women who met in college & became a tight knit group, even though they were from different places & backgrounds, like Colombia, Cuba, PR, etc. They all became successful in their own rights, & this story, told by a different "sucia" each chapter, explains that sometimes what you see on the outside is very different than what goes on behind closed doors. But through it all, they love each other, & are there for each other when the chips are down. I learned a bit about several different cultures along the way as well, which I really liked. ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |
My daughter and me (she was 15 back then) we loved it. This was what I wrote about this book on Monday, July 04, 2005

In case you did not,Rowena (15) stole it from me and she loved the book.
She pleaded to me not to release it she wants me to check if this writer has written more books. (I think this was her first one )

so it was a great success

I had read the first pages but had some problems because so many names and characters are introduced by Lauren in that first chapter
Anyway even though I had some problems I knew I would love this book, and I was right
Love books about various women and there friendships together and in which each of them tells there own story.

That's why I like jennifer Weiner and Rona jaffe's books to and this is one similar.
You did send me (us) a great book of my wish list
Thanks for this spring fling gift :-)

Marlene-NL | Apr 12, 2013 |
For Jeanette Beltran, the original sucia, in memory of her mother, Aurea Beltran.
Twice a year, every year, the sucias show up.

The Dirty Girls Social Club was formed by six very different latina Women who met at college in Boston and swore they'd be friends for the rest of their lives. They feel perfectly licensed to tell each other what to do and how to live their lives, and boy do they ever. Bold, funny, moving and smart, The Dirty Girls Social Club is a life-affirming read with all the glamour, gusto, humour and candour you'd expect from your best girlfriends.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312313829, Paperback)

The Dirty Girls Social Club closely resembles Terry McMillan's Waiting to Exhale: a handful of young women seek real love and job satisfaction. Unlike McMillan, Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez has completely thrown out any literary pretensions whatsoever, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Dirty Girls is a fun, easy, ultimately charming read, not least because the girls themselves are so appealing. Six Latina women become fast friends at Boston University and thereafter meet as a group every few months. Now in their late twenties, they're each on the cusp of the life they want. The novel is narrated in turn by each woman. Feisty Lauren has a column at the Boston Globe, but can't help falling for losers; ghetto-elegant Usnavys is trying to find a man to match her own earning power and expensive tastes; uptight Rebecca is a successful magazine publisher and an unsuccessful wife; beautiful TV anchor Elizabeth has a secret; Sara leads a Martha-Stewart-perfect life as a homemaker; and Amber is a hopeful rock musician in L.A.

The novel works because Valdes-Rodriguez has compassion for her characters; each is faulted, but none is culpable. She also has an eye for the telling detail, as when Rebecca tries to befriend her white husband's stuffy family: "His sister took step classes with me and we shopped for clothes together on Newbury Street and went to the Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum one afternoon with Au Bon Pain sandwiches in our handbags." Something about those sandwiches makes the whole enterprise seem more poignant. On the down side, Valdes-Rodriguez is so eager to make things work out for her ladies, her writing sometimes beggars belief. Men actually say things like "Swear to me you're happily married, and I'll stop pursuing you." Yes, Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez is, in fact, the Latina Terry McMillan. That is, if McMillan were a slighty guiltier pleasure. --Claire Dederer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:54 -0400)

In the years after graduating from Boston University, six Latina friends from widely varied backgrounds meet every six months to dine, share the stories of their everyday lives, and offer advice to one another.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,228,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible