The Cartoon History of the Universe III,…

The Cartoon History of the Universe III, Volumes 14-19: From the Rise of… (2002)

by Larry Gonick

I love how inclusive Gonick is in this edition, covering history across the globe including Africa as he marches from the rise of Islam to the renaissance in this edition. As always, he is funny, insightful, and creative. I only mark my rating down a bit because of my own personal interest in other time periods, but I do recommend the book and believe everyone would find something of interest in it. ( )
  gbill | Oct 2, 2010 |
This book is dedicated to all the skeptics who have ever lived.
What? Where? Oh, hello . . . I remember now . . . I've been time-traveling in the ancient world . . .

An irreverent survey in comics spanning world history from the birth of Islam to the Byzantine Empire to the Italian Renaissance.

Larry Gonick's celebrated series The Cartoon History of the Universe is a unique fusion of world history and the comics medium, a work of serious scholarship and a masterpiece of popular literature. Praised by Jonathan Spence in the New York Times Book Review as "a curious hybrid, at once flippant and scholarly, witty and politically correct, zany and traditionalist," Gonick's clever illustrations deliver important information with a deceptively light tone, teaching us about the people and events that have shaped our world. This long-awaited new volume covers the Middle Ages around the globe, including the multicultural Middle East, West Africa and the cross-Saharan trade, Central Asia and the Byzantine Empire, the European Dark Ages and the Crusades, the Mongol conquests, the Black Death, the Ottoman Empire, the Italian Renaissance, and the rise of Spain, leading up to Columbus's departure for the new world. Gonick offers an historical survey that is at once multicultural, humanistic, skeptical, and laugh-out-loud funny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:03 -0400)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,234,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible