Tender Triumph (Sonnet Books) by Judith…

Tender Triumph (Sonnet Books) (original 1983; edition 1991)

by Judith McNaught

Member:dailymigrane
Title:Tender Triumph (Sonnet Books)
Authors:Judith McNaught
Info:Pocket Books (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

Tender Triumph by Judith McNaught (Author) (1983)

Eager to delve into the McNaught world with all the books I have by her that I need to read, it figures I would begin with one of the more poorly reviewed ones.

Story-wise, it starts out intriguing but then would need a bit more to fill it in to keep it as interesting. In the beginning there are clearly cultural differences where the protagonist shows her embarrassing ignorance and unintentional snobbiness to the point it got on my nerves. Through the first date to his stunning announcement, to the bizarre pool party night (what on earth was going on with all THAT?, and then to the awkward parent gathering. It was strange how different Ramon seemed in her presence versus how he was with his associate in the office at the book's opening.

The middle half gets even better as things progress, where she admits she has feelings for Ramon and tries to make it work, all the while subconsciously holding backing important parts of herself. Some of these just seemed silly, and I only sat back to wait for the explosion. The end was a disappointing wrap-up, though, bringing this review down a few notches. We don't get to see the scene where she sits down and explains an important element to Ramon. The reasoning behind her I love you avoidance was a bit silly and too forced a dramatic explanation, almost as if the author was searching too much. It's hard to believe Katie could be as clueless as she was with key points, I mean really!

Overall the pacing never harms the book, as things are always happening, plenty of tension is felt, internal struggles often encountered. Each chapter introduces a new plot point that breathes in freshness. McNaughts' writing style is done well with little hiccup. The atmosphere is one of moderate tension that adds to the book when it needs to.

Characters are fun overall. Ramon was my favorite as he had a sense of price hard to top, knew the right way to treat a lady (once you get pass the domineering annoying traits that pop up from time to time.) I felt more sorry for him than Katie. Katie was clueless most of the time and some of her faux pass in social settings just embarrassed me with her misconceptions of the poor. She may not feel herself a snob, but it was clear she was a bit at first. I'm happy to see this changed. I do have some questions, however. Why did she meet Rob at the beginning if she knew she wouldn't give him a chance? Is it insulting to anyone else the pastors opinion should bear so much fruit on the town's decision?

I did not despise Tender Triumph like others, and instead found it hard to tear myself away. The plot was riddled with impracticalities, some of it over the top and too much, while others just didn't make a lick of sense. The ending didn't pay off a lot of built up suspense, and the romantic relationship itself won't be winning any awards. Still, it's not a bad book, though perhaps by McNaught terms. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
I generally like McNaught's books, but this one held no interest for me, whatsoever. Definitely not one of her better works. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Jul 19, 2010 |
this book blows; the whole way she portrayed the cultural misunderstandings was so lame; i hated even his accent; the story was so weak and no chemistry between them. ( )
  blingtastic | Jan 4, 2008 |
I felt slightly impatient with Katie, because didn't Ramon prove to her that he loved her and he did everything he could to make her happy? I loved the scene where Ramon met Katie's parents at her house .as Ramon came to declare his intentions. ( )
  gogglemiss | Jan 3, 2008 |
On Friday, a sensuous stranger entered Katie's life. By Sunday, her world would never be the same...
  DunnFunKat | Sep 18, 2007 |
With love and gratitude to Janet Tait who had cheered for my triumphs, wept for my sorrows, and enriched my life with her friendship. And for Roger Tait who had never objected to the time all that takes.
Standing in brooding silence at the windows of the elegant penthouse apartment, the tall dark man gazed at the panorama of twinkling lights fanning out across the dusky St. Louis skyline.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671742566, Mass Market Paperback)

This is a particular favorite. Distrustful of men, Kate Connelly has buried herself in her career, shutting out all chance of romance. Then a handsome Spaniard, Ramon Galverra, walks into her life. He is different than other men she has known, full of pride and passion, and he treats her with respect. But it's his intimate touches that make Kate realize that she could easily lose her heart to this wonderful man. But pride can be a mighty barrier in relationships, and both Ramon and Kate must learn to trust before they can love. You will want to read this love story time and time again.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:16 -0400)

Katie Connelly submerged her painful past in a promising career, an elegant apartment, and men she could keep at a distance until she met Ramon Galverra, a strong, willful, secretive, and very attractive man. Submerging her painful past in a promising career, beautiful but wary Katie Connelly keeps all men at a distance until she meets the courtly and passionate Ramon Galverra.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,801,032 books! | Top bar: Always visible