The Sane Society by Erich Fromm

The Sane Society (1955)

by Erich Fromm

Not my favorite of Fromm's -- That honor is still reserved for the three-way tie of Escape from Freedom, The Art of Loving, and Marx's Concept of Man -- but he still impresses with his daunting intellect and analytic capacity.

The book begins well and quickly draws you in, as Fromm reviews his argument against Western society and the way that it alienates man from himself, inadvertently creating a modern "robotism." This line of thought is taken from his previous books (including the ones listed above) and further developed in an engaging way.

The last two chapters, however, where he turns to solutions for transforming our society into a humanistic communitarian socialist democracy, fall flat. This is perhaps chiefly due to the material being dated, most obvious when he actually proposes to dismantle the film industry due to its pernicious effect on our psyches. This is something which might have been half-conceivable in the 50s, though it still strikes one as more than a little bizarre. Then he proposes a hypothetical town-hall bottom-up government in which the politicians refer all of their legislation to 500-person "face-to-face" groups where they can discuss and decide on policy at the grass-roots level. This just struck me as quaint, and would be utterly impossible in today's hyper-mobile age.

Ultimately, Fromm leans heavily on the Communitarian Socialist model proposed by Owen in England, and later popularized to some degree in France. He spends a large portion of Chapter 8 describing one such watch-making community, where the workers are the owners and participate equally in all the decision-making, earning in accordance with how much they contribute to the community, whether it be through watches or extracurriculars such as music, teaching, gardening, or what-have-you.

It is a nice picture that he paints, but when describing the political decision-making process, I couldn't help but feel like there was simply way too much bureacracy involved. Really? I have to go to a weekly, monthly, and bi-annual meeting just to make sure this stuff all runs effectively? What if my idea of fulfilling my human potential is not worrying about all of this organizational BS? What if I require solitude in order to realize my potential? I have no doubt that certain driven people could make this work, and probably quite enjoy it. But to propose it as a solution for all of humanity seems naive, or maybe just asking a lot of them for the time being. I can't help but wonder what Fromm would have thought if he had lived to see where we're at now. He probably would have been depressed. ( )
1 vote blake.rosser | Jul 28, 2013 |

The Sane Society is a continuation and extension of the brilliant psychiatric concepts Erich Fromm first formulated in Escape from Freedom; it is also, in many ways, an answer to Freud’s Civilization and its Discontents. Fromm examines man’s escape into overconformity and the danger of robotism in contemporary industrial society: modern humanity has, he maintains, been alienated from the world of their own creation. Here Fromm offers a complete and systematic exploration of his “humanistic psychoanalysis.” In so doing, he counters the profound pessimism for our future that Freud expressed and sets forth the goals of a society in which the emphasis is on each person and on the social measures designed to further function as a responsible individual.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:41 -0400)

The Sane Society is a continuation and extension of the psychiatric concepts Erich Fromm first formulated in Escape from Freedom; it is also, in many ways, an answer to Freud's "Civilization and its discontents." Fromm examines man's escape into overconformity and the danger of robotism in contemporary industrial society: modern humanity has, he maintains, been alienated from the world of their own creation. Here Fromm offers a complete and systematic exploration of his "humanistic psychoanalysis." In so doing, he counters the profound pessimism for our future that Freud expressed and sets forth the goals of a society in which the emphasis is on each person and on the social measures designed to further function as a responsible individual.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,159,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible