Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present by…

Mr. Rabbit and the Lovely Present (1962)

by Charlotte Zolotow

Other authors: Maurice Sendak (Illustrator)

Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 20, 2017 |
illus. Maurice Sendak
  Bauuc17053 | Aug 21, 2016 |
Mr. Rabbit helps a little girl find a lovely present for her mother, who is especially fond of red, yellow, green, and blue.
  wichitafriendsschool | Jul 5, 2016 |
Well, I'd love a fruit basket for my birthday. And I never got anything creepy from this. No, I won't revisit it to check my memory from decades ago.

------------
bought a copy at a thrift store to release via bookcrossing.com
Decided to go ahead and reread it. Text is lovely. Fruit basket is lovely. Poses and settings in pix are lovely. Big-headed girl and naked man shaped rabbit are a bit creepy, I admit. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
MR. RABBIT AND THE LOVELY PRESENT is a precious little story about a young girl who needs help finding just the right birthday present for her mother; to do so, she seeks the help of the thoughtful Mr. Rabbit. Together they take a walk through nature as the little girl thinks about what her mother likes - such as the colors red, yellow, green, and blue. But as Mr. Rabbit wisely points out, "you can't give her red" (or any other color). Mr. Rabbit names several things of each color until he mentions just the right thing. By the end of the book, the little girl has created quite a "lovely present" for her mother. I remember reading this book as a child and I still found it enjoyable when I reread it. I love the watercolor, impressionist/romantic style illustrations because they have a very calm feel to them and the pastel color pallet adds to the whimsical idea of the story. The text is rather simple and quite repetitive so it would be a great book for beginning readers as they would be able to catch on quite quickly. This book would also be a wonderful way to help young children learn colors. Besides reading the book with students, I could also have them brainstorm other things that are red, yellow, green, and blue that Mr. Rabbit doesn't mention and have them name other colors not represented in the story. ( )
  mmiller28 | Dec 1, 2015 |

Charlotte Zolotowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sendak, MauriceIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
for Buena Dapolonia
"Mr. Rabbit," said the little girl, "I want help."
"Nothing to give your mother on her birthday?" said Mr. Rabbit. "Little girl, you really do want help."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064430200, Paperback)

Any collaborative effort by the esteemed Charlotte Zolotow and the illustrious Maurice Sendak is bound to be a success. These beloved creators of countless children's favorites outdo themselves with this 1963 Caldecott Honor-winning classic about a little girl in need of assistance. Finding a birthday present for her mother is no easy task for our heroine. Luckily, she happens upon the avuncular Mr. Rabbit, whose heart is in the right place, even if he doesn't always have the best ideas. Ultimately, his suggestions do come in handy, and between the two of them they determine the ideal birthday tribute: the gift of color. Children will join the protagonists in contemplating how to make the abstract tangible, and all readers will be delighted to see yellow translate to bananas, as green is given in pears, and blue takes the shape of grapes.

The soft, muted colors of Sendak's illustrations are reminiscent of a Monet landscape--utterly appealing and dreamy. And the reflective, sing-song dialogue between Mr. Rabbit and the girl is as deliciously lulling as a shady swing in a hammock. This quiet, peaceful book is a treasure for any shelf. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:26 -0400)

Mr. Rabbit helps a little girl find a birthday present for her mother.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,833,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible