Round Trip by Ann Jonas

Round Trip (edition 1990)

by Ann Jonas, Ann Jonas (Illustrator)

Member:kaylafogg
Title:Round Trip
Authors:Ann Jonas
Other authors:Ann Jonas (Illustrator)
Info:Greenwillow Books (1990), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:word style, illustrations, traveling, literary nonfiction, environment, two-sided, opinions

Round Trip by Ann Jonas

What a clever book! Illustrated in black and white, Round Trip describes a road trip past the coast and into the city. When the sun sets and it is time to return home, readers flip the book upside down and the story continues from the back to the front of the book. The same illustrations, when viewed upside down, paint a different picture - a movie theater becomes a restaurant, a bridge becomes a row of telephone poles, and so on. The story isn't complex, but the flipped perspective will wow kids.
  vsoler | Jun 8, 2014 |
Round trip is the simple story about the sites on a round trip from the country to the city and back again. Home to the city is read front to back, then you flip the book and read the story from back to front for the return trip. The black and white drawings form an optical illusion. Different scenes appear when you flip the book upside down. The story itself is simple, but the illustrations are unique and captivating. I spent a lot of time flipping the book upside down and marveling at the new scene that appeared. I would use this book as a mentor text to write about perspective. Secondarily, I would use it to write about contrasts. ( )
  asweet2 | Mar 8, 2014 |
This seemingly simple yet wonderful story is accompanied by black and white illustrations. The story is the story of sights of a day trip to the city and back. What I found interesting and unique is tht the trip to the city is read front to back and then the return trip to the country is read by turning the book upside down and you end up on the page you started with. ( )
  cluttrell12 | Mar 1, 2014 |
When you peruse this book with out reading the text it is interesting, but once you read the text the pictures really take shape. It is amazing how much more detail I was able to see after adding the text. This journey so engaged me I handed it to a child in the library where I read it and recommended she read it. ( )
  kghaemmaghami | Mar 1, 2014 |
This short black and white storybook captures the simplicity of taking a trip and observing typical scenes. But flip the book over for a return story home, and your mind is captivated by the clever talent the illustrations portray. I loved reading this book to a classroom of boys. Their eyes widened and mouths dropped open as they tried to understand how the same picture can be different. Excellent use of black and white with the storyline. Great example of how contrasts and adjectives can impact a story. This is one of my favorites to show children! ( )
  bschaffer | Jan 22, 2014 |
For Don Nina Amy

"A visual stunner....The format is wonderfully inventive--once the traveler arrives in the city, the book is flipped over and read back to the beginning, with the black-and-white pictures taking on new meanings....Sure to delight and fascinate."--Publishers Weekly.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:04 -0400)

Black and white illustrations and text record the sights on a day trip to the city and back home again to the country. The trip to the city is read from front to back and the return trip from back to front, upside down.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,120,354 books! | Top bar: Always visible