Don't Talk to Strangers! by Christine…

Don't Talk to Strangers!

by Christine Mehlhaff

Summary: This book has talking lions and it is about a mother, brother, and daughter, lion. They go through their day and Matthew, Emma’s brother, tells Emma not to ever talk to strangers at the park, grocery store, at the bus stop, or anywhere else. He also tells her never to answer the door, or telephone, and not to take rides or candy from strangers.

Personal Reaction: I like this book because it teaches kids who to talk to and who not to talk to. It also is very realistic when talking about real life events.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. In the classroom, I could have the kids list who are not strangers.
2. In the classroom, I could have the kids list where they should look out for strangers.
  Jessmarlamb | Mar 5, 2013 |
Summary:
This book is about a family of lions and they are teaching the younger lion what a stranger is and what to do if one talks to her. Her brother is doing most of the teaching because he is older. He tells her that if a strangers comes up to them, they should not talk to them but immediately find their parents, a neighbor they trust, or the police. At the end of this book she has learned what a stranger is and Mama Lion says you should always talk to your parents about these things.

Personal Reaction:
I think this is a great book for teaching children to not talk to strangers. Sometimes they dont really get that there are bad people in the world so it is nice to have a kid friendly way to explain it.

Classroom Extension Ideas:
1. Great way to teach students about not talking to strangers and what to do.
2. Help students memorize their parents, neighbors, and the police phone numbers. ( )
  SarahClick | Mar 18, 2012 |
Summary:
This book is about a young lion who loves answering the telephone, door, and riding her bike. Her brother talks about all the different places a stranger can be and what they might say or do. He informs her of who and what a stranger is and all of the dangers about strangers. If a stanger ever comes up to hershe should find a teacher, parent, or police officer when she is approached by a stranger. At the end of the book, she tells her brother that she know now who a stranger is and he can ask her for advice.

Personal Reaction:
This is a great book about teaching children about strangers. Some children are very outgoing and will talk to anyone. They don't understand that something bad can happen to them. They need to learn about strangers before they are ever in a situation with one.

Classroom Extensions:
1. This is a great way to teach students about talking to strangers and who strangers are. I would have them practice saying NO.
2. I would have students talk about what they would do if they were ever approached by a stranger. ( )
  KaydeeParrish | Feb 15, 2012 |
Summary: This book is about how Matthew is explaining to his little sister Emma not to talk to strangers. He explains to her how important it is to not ride, talk ,answer the door or phone when she doesn’t know who it is. “Emma asked him but how do I know Matthew?” He replies a strangers is someone you do not know. Emma is a little lion that loves answering the door, phone just basically to meet new people and be friendly. Matthew also explained to her that she needs to let her mama answer the phone and etc and to let someone know if a stranger tries to give her a ride or candy.

Personal reflection: I really like this book because I think all parent, older brothers and sisters should explain how important it is not to talk , answer the door, ride in a car or accept any candy from a stranger. Now days you just never know how people are especially with children. I feel like its okay to meet new people like at school but never let them give children a ride home unless its someone that you trust like a grown up or parents.

Classroom Extension Ideas: I would read this book to my children than explain to them how important it is not to talk to strangers. Also when we go on a field trip before all the children got off the bus I would tell them about “stranger danger” and let them know we all need to stay together.
  KylaKaapuwai | Oct 30, 2011 |
Summary:

Emma is a little lion cub who loves to meet new friends. Matthew is Emma’s older brother, who teaches her about stranger danger.

Personal Reaction:
I can relate to both Matthew and Emma. I have a daughter who has never meet a stranger in her life and I am constantly telling her about the dangers of strangers.

Extension Ideas:
1. I would read this book when teaching lessons about safety and 911. I would also have the police come into the classroom and talk to the class about strangers.
2. After I have read this book to the class I would have the class write their own list of dangers and safety.
  rainyday2003 | Feb 27, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 054500103X, Paperback)

Emma Lion loves to make new friends, but Mama tells her to be careful and never talk to strangers. Emma sees new people to meet everywhere she goes. How will she know who is a stranger?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:11 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,500,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible