Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Rhyming Life and Death by Amos Oz

Rhyming Life and Death

by Amos Oz

2081684,573 (3.44)45
    Visning by Lars Saabye Christensen (2810michael)
    2810michael: Also a novel where fiction and reality - and the novel itself mixes up.

English (11)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (16)
This was nice detour after the navigation of Ulysses. It was bitter cold outdoors and eight hours of an Author's life in Tel Aviv was a fitting escape. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
This was a difficult book for me. There were parts that I enjoyed but there were also parts that I had a hard time with because of the Israeli/Jewish words, history and names.

This is a book about 8 hours of the Author/Narrator's life including time at a speaking engagement. What I believe is that the entire book is part of the Author trying to answer, "How do you write & why do you write". I think this book tries to answer these two questions by telling us stories hoping we will relate to his life (why) and connecting names, faces, people (how).

I'll have to read this book again to see if I come up with the same opinion. ( )
  mmoj | Mar 2, 2017 |
Imagining the stories of the people we encounter is something we all do. Reminds me of how I used to create stories for the people I saw on the subway. ( )
  JaneLarkin | Sep 24, 2014 |
In a dramatic telling of a single night, Rhyming Life & Death is something of a story, and something of a demonstration of a story's genesis, exploring the wonders and twists of an imagination.

Working from the mind of an author, our narrator for the duration, Oz wanders through his imaginings about an assortment of characters, bringing them together into a world that is hardpressed to be called either imaginary or real. In the end, it doesn't matter. Oz has explored the process and wonder of creation, and given us a story and a show in the process.

Absolutely recommended. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Sep 13, 2014 |
A first book of this author for me. The book is kind of a circular story about an author and a book presentation and all his unstoppable imagination.
For me there are 2 major themes in this book. The first is clearly about writing and being an author, the imagination, building up a story, suggestions, minimal changes in circumstances that can lead a story a complete other way .... Other reviews here on LT tell that all characters are the author himself, but for me some are just "extra characters" in his imagination to create interaction with the author.
The second level or second theme "getting old" and the fragility of life. On top of all the characters (author or author's imagination) the difference between an older person (or character) and the younger is that they have a completely different viewpoint on the same situation, and thus another interpretation. Getting older is clearly fearsome for a lot of people amongst us and the author is no exception. In one of the key scenes the difference between young and older people is described and, in my humble opinion, it's no coincidence how this scene ends.
Hard to say if some of the story is autobiographic. I don't know Oz good enough.
Well written book, the circular effect of the story, the limited timeframe, the search for characters who are the author (all ?) or who are not ... Clearly Oz has no problems with inserting style patterns in his writing. But too me, after a good start there are some 20 - 30 pages where one is waiting for something to happen instead of just following the curious ways of the author's imagination. Then, happily, some action comes in and after this turnpoint it's easier to stay focused. ( )
1 vote Lunarreader | Jan 6, 2013 |
the metafiction of Rhyming Life and Death strikes an abnegating note, with Oz delivering a powerful attack on the whole business of writing and reading. And yet what could be seen as creative suicide ends in calm acceptance. In one of the novel’s many in-jokes, “Rhyming Life and Death” is also the title of a collection by a once well-known, now forgotten poet.

Amos Ozprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pressler, MirjamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
These are the most commonly asked questions. Why do you write? Why do you write the way you do? Are you trying to influence your readers, and, if so, how? What role do your books play? Do you constantly cross out and correct or do you write straight out of your head?
...it is not inappropriate to quote the lines of the veteran poet Tsefania Beit-Halachmi, from his book 'Rhyming Life and Death', which goes something like this:

You'll always find them side by side:
never a groom without a bride.

An ingenious, witty, behind-the-scenes novel about eight hours in the life of an author.

A literary celebrity is in Tel Aviv on a stifling hot night to give a reading from his new book.While the obligatory inane questions ("Why do you write? What is it like to be famous? Do you write with a pen or on a computer?) are being asked and answered, his attention wanders and he begins to invent lives for the strangers he sees around him. Among them are Yakir Bar-Orian Zhitomirski, a self-styled literary guru; Tsefania Beit-Halachmi, a poet (whose work provides the novel’s title); and Rochele Reznik, a professional reader, with whom the Author has a brief but steamy sexual skirmish; to say nothing of Ricky the waitress, the real object of his desire. One life story builds on another—and the author finds himself unexpectedly involved with his creations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:32 -0400)

A behind-the-scenes exploration of the craft of writing as revealed by an eight-hour work day in the life of an author finds a literary celebrity passing the time during a mundane book event in Tel Aviv by inventing lives for the strangers he sees around him.… (more)

Amos Oz is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,597 books! | Top bar: Always visible