Calvin: Institutes of the Christian Religion…

Calvin: Institutes of the Christian Religion (2 Volume Set)

by John Calvin

Series: The Library of Christian Classics

3,565151,482 (4.5)1 / 20

John Calvin’s magnum opus, The Institutes of the Christian Religion, was a seminal work that shaped Christendom as well as history in the 16th century and beyond. Calvin’s tone is pastoral and his attitude worshipful, which makes his theological views come alive. He was a man who was passionate about the person and work of Christ, the wonders and mysteries of the Godhead, and the deep, abiding love of the Father for His children.

Read The Institutes and be swept away by the power and spiritual wisdom of one of the Church’s mightiest saints.

"Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion is a monumental work that stands among the greatest works of Christian theology and Western literature. The Institutes are highly pastoral and devotional. Calvin understood doctrine to be more than theory, something to mold our understanding of God, ourselves and the world in which we live. Carefully working through the Institutes is a journey worth taking!"
- Douglas V.

"If there was one book other than the Bible with me on a desert island it would be this one. No other human author has ever been as edifying for me. This book truly drove me to my knees!
- Dave K.

"The Institutes are exegetical in substance, Christ centered in focus, worshipful in tone, and polemical in style. Calvin is not a dry theologian. This book lifts my gaze to God!
- Brian Hedges

John Calvin remains one of God's greatest gifts to the church. - Derek Thomas
  Stormrev1 | Aug 23, 2014 |
Let's be upfront about this: I came into this reading disliking Calvin. I dislike almost everything about him. I dislike his rigidity. I dislike his scriptura sola thing. I dislike the way he twists his theology to satisfy two claims

i) God can't change
ii) People are worthless

even though God changes throughout the bible and people wouldn't be worth saving if we were worthless. I dislike the way he ignores the obvious conclusion from his theology, which was nicely smirked at in James Hogg's 'Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner.'

But I read this because Marilynne Robinson's crusade to make Calvin respectful made me ashamed and I decided I should go to the horse's mouth and, worse case scenario, I would understand Robinson's novels better. Marilynne won't be happy to know that my general attitude toward Calvin hasn't changed. She might be glad to know that I won't be as dismissive as I was before reading this book, if only because I now feel like he was a basically good guy who got carried away by a really bad idea, and a really smart guy who tried to square his goodness with his bad idea, but failed. It could be much worse.

So I have no idea whether this book is a representative selection of his complete Institutes or not, but it is a surprisingly easy read. The editor deserves a lot of praise, and he gets one of those three stars I just gave out. Calvin gets two for being smart and basically good.

As a special bonus, my running complaints in the margins of this book gave me a much better idea of what I value and what I do not value in the Christian theological tradition. Calvin turns out to be a good whetstone for your brain. ( )
  stillatim | Dec 29, 2013 |
Majestic! ( )
  NathanBlaineShaver | Jan 9, 2013 |
Volume XX and XX1 of the Library of Christian Classics
  Willgee | Jan 10, 2011 |
I've recommended this book in a general discussion of "Best Books in Systematic Theology": http://douggeivett.wordpress.com/2009/12/07/best-books-in-systematic-theology/ ( )
  RDGlibrary | Nov 28, 2010 |

John Calvinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Allen, JohnTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Battles, Ford LewisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Beveridge, HenryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Niet, C.A. deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Individual volumes should not be combined with the complete set or different volumes of the same set.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0664220282, Hardcover)

This is the definitive English-language edition of one of the monumental works of the Christian church. All previous editions--in Latin, French, German, and English--have been collated; references and notes have been verified, corrected, and expanded; and new bibliographies have been added.The translation preserves the rugged strength and vividness of Calvin's writing, but also conforms to modern English and renders heavy theological terms in simple language. The result is a translation that achieves a high degree of accuracy and at the same time is eminently readable.

Long recognized for the quality of its translations, introductions, explanatory notes, and indexes, the Library of Christian Classics provides scholars and students with modern English translations of some of the most significant Christian theological texts in history. Through these works--each written prior to the end of the sixteenth century--contemporary readers are able to engage the ideas that have shaped Christian theology and the church through the centuries.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:42 -0400)

"Long regarded as the central theologian of the Protestant Reformation, John Calvin changed the course of the Christian church through one book: Institutes of the Christian Religion. Hendrickson Publishers here offers the classic English translation of this masterpiece, newly typeset and freshly designed for the modern reader, with all the citatioins, indexes, and other other helps updated."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.

Two editions of this book were published by Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co..

Editions: 0802881661, 0802807747

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,776,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible