A Secret Affair by Barbara Taylor Bradford

A Secret Affair

by Barbara Taylor Bradford

202458,111 (3.25)1

It's been a long time since I've read a Barbara Bradford novel. I adored the "Woman of Substance" series featuring the Emma Harte dynasty, but this novella is not of the same depth or quality.

"A Secret Affair" had all the potential of a great novel: a beautiful love story and a bit of suspense, against the backdrop of a romantic rendezvous in Venice Italy and Manhattan New York during the winter holidays. A handsome, talented, famous, young widowed war correspondent has an affair with a beautiful, sophisticated married woman. The only problem is there is zero character development and events are told in such scant detail it appears Bradford didn't want to waste the time and effort to elaborate on the plot. As a result the characters are unnaturally flawless and the plot lacks credibility.

If I had paid full price for this novel, I would be demanding my money back. ( )
1 vote LadyLo | Oct 21, 2012 |
A 33-year-old tv war correspondent who recently did a stint in Bosnia, Bill Fitzgerald decides to go to Venice to relax. While there, he meets 27-year-old Vanessa Stewart, an American woman who is a glass designer from New York. Unhappily married, Vanessa begins a no-strings attached friendship with Bill which quickly blossoms into an illicit affair. The lovers agree to meet each other as much as possible after they return home. However, on the third rendevous one of them doesn't show up. I thought that this book was a short read. I enjoyed it but it was more like a long short story more than anything. I gave it a B+! ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Feb 6, 2012 |
I read this book many years ago. My thought about this illicit romance is just so, so. Probably a good summer reading. ( )
  bcBulan-Purnama | Jul 23, 2010 |
About illicit but real love between a war correspondent and a married artist. ( )
  lopemopay | Nov 22, 2006 |

The Greatest Loves of Their Lives ----- Seeking some much-needed rest and relaxation after a long stint as a TV-news war correspondent in Bosnia, 33-year-old Bill Fitzgerald travels to Venice. There he is struck by the dark beauty of a young American woman, Vanessa Stewart, a 27-year-old glass designer from New York. Unhappily married, she welcomes a no-strings friendship with Bill. Soon they embark on an illicit affair and find themselves desperately in love. They vow to see each other whenever and wherever they can. But on their third meeting, one of them does not show up.
Once again, Barbara Taylor Bradford weaves a love story of uncompromising ardor, this time taking readers through secret trysts in Venice, Manhattan and Southampton. In A Secret Affair, she touches on subjects that will stir the hearts and minds of her readers -- unconditional love and devotion, loyalty and loss.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006018650X, Hardcover)

From the romantic canals of Venice to the streets of New York and the beaches of East Hampton, two very different people--a respected American TV newsman and a talented young artist--struggle to come to terms with their complicated lives after they embark on an illicit but fateful love affair. 500,000 first printing.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:55 -0400)

A respected television newsman falls in love with a talented young artist while in Venice, but they must sift through their complicated lives in order to experience a lasting love.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,885,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible