Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an…

Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter (edition 2001)

by Adeline Yen Mah

Member:missiemae
Title:Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter
Authors:Adeline Yen Mah
Info:Laurel Leaf (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages

Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter by Adeline Yen Mah

I first read this book when I was in 7th or 8th grade. I found my old paperback copy yesterday at my parents' house and I read it this afternoon in just a few hours. This is such a sad story! I could definitely tell that Adeline Yen Mah was writing toward a younger audience (this is a young adult book). I remember reading her other book [b:Falling Leaves: The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter|54529|Falling Leaves The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter|Adeline Yen Mah|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1386921662s/54529.jpg|1429862] and being struck by how it was essentially the same story but somehow
"smarter," probably because it was written for adults. I can't help but look down a little bit on the author for writing the same book twice for different audiences. ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
Excellent book. Amazing story about a young girls struggle ( )
  shazjhb | Aug 24, 2018 |
Blamed for her mothers death, Adeline Yen Mah was mistreated by her own siblings. Added to that came the new family her father created with her stepmother. Both her father and stepmother seemed to prefer their new children and ignore the old ones. However, through it all, there was always someone there who took the time for Adeline - who believed in her.
  sochri | Nov 21, 2017 |
Un livre INCROYABLE que j'ai lu il doit y avoir 10 ans de cela...retrouver le titre a été un vrai calvaire (merci google). Il y a de ces livres qui vous touchent à vie...Feuilles D'automne (Chinese Cinderella) est l'un deux, tellement que plus de 10 ans après je m'en rappel encore.

Très beau roman autobiographique d'une jeune chinoise qui a eu le malheur de naître dans une famille où elle n'était pas désirée. Sa mère mourut peut après sa naissance et son père décida de se remarier à une femme qui lui a fait subir toutes les misères. On suit, tout au long du roman, les malheurs de la petite, on a mal avec elle, on pleure avec elle et on sourit avec elle.

Une histoire qui va nous chercher au plus profond de nous-même. ( )
  AmelLou | Jan 18, 2017 |
A sad novel about a young Chinese girl getting mistreated, very much like Cinderella, because of the death of her mother. ( )
  ChimChim266 | Jan 16, 2017 |
To All Unwanted Children.
I have always cherished this dream of creating something unique and imperishable, so that the past should not fade away forever. I know that one I shall die and vanish into the void, but hope to preserve my memories through my writing. Perhaps others who were also unwanted children may see them a hundred years from now, and be encouraged. I imagine them opening the pages of my book and meeting me (as a ten-year-old) in Shanghai, without actually leaving their own homes in Sydney, Tokyo, London, Hing Kong, or Los Angeles. And I shall welcome each and every one of them with a smile and say, "How splendid of you to visit me! Come in and let me share with you my story . . . because I understand only too well that rankling in your heart and what you are going through."
AS soon as I got home from school, Aunt Baba Noticed the silver medal dangling from the left breast pocket of my uniform.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440228654, Mass Market Paperback)

Chinese Cinderella is the perfect title for Adeline Yen Mah's compelling autobiography in which, like the fairy-tale maiden, her childhood was ruled by a cruel stepmother. "Fifth Younger Sister" or "Wu Mei," as Yen Mah was called, is only an infant when her father remarries after her mother's death. As the youngest of her five siblings, Wu Mei suffers the worst at the hands of her stepmother Niang. She is denied carfare, frequently forgotten at school at the end of the day, and whipped for daring to attend a classmate's birthday party against Niang's wishes. Her father even forgets the spelling of her name when filling out her school enrollment record. In her loneliness, Wu Mei turns to books for company: "I was alone with my beloved books. What bliss! To be left in peace with Cordelia, Regan, Gonoril, and Lear himself--characters more real than my family... What happiness! What comfort!" Even though Wu Mei is repeatedly moved up to grades above those of her peers, it is only when she wins an international play-writing contest in high school that her father finally takes notice and grants her wish to attend college in England. Despite her parent's heartbreaking neglect, she eventually becomes a doctor and realizes her dream of being a writer.

Teens, with their passionate convictions and strong sense of fair play, will be immediately enveloped in the gross injustice of Adeline Yen Mah's story. A complete glossary, historical notes on the state of Chinese society and politics during Yen Mah's childhood, and the legend of the original Chinese Cinderella round out this stirring testimony to the strength of human character and the power of education. (Ages 10 to 15) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:06 -0400)

The daughter of a wealthy Hong Kong businessman describes her very difficult childhood and the psychological abuse she suffered at the hands of her stepmother.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,398,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible