OCTOBER SKY by Homer Hickam

OCTOBER SKY (original 1998; edition 2000)

by Homer Hickam

Series: Coalwood (1)

Member:updo
Title:OCTOBER SKY
Authors:Homer Hickam
Info:Dell Publishing (2000), Paperback
Tags:rocket building, coal mining, inequality, abuse, family, futility, success

Rocket Boys by Jr. Homer H. Hickam (1998)

Read for the Dewey Decimal challenge on LT. Great book that I listened to on library audio, since I was driving. I loved the way Beau Bridges pronounced Coalwood and the mine with a drawl out drawl. The book focuses on the author's teen years in the late 1950's in a West Virginia mining town, where his father is the superintendent, and his mother just wants to get her sons out of going to work in the mine. When the Russian's launch Sputnik, rocketry captures Sonny & his friends' fancy. With his mother's admonition, as they set off learning the principles of fuel and ignition - "Now don't blow yourselves up!" Of course, the first thing they do is blow up her Rose Garden fence in a launch, and then are chased away to better suited launch pads - the slake of abandoned coal mines nearby. ( )
  nancynova | Aug 4, 2016 |
A well-written memoir by Homer Hickam that captures the solitude of adolescence in a rural mining town and the challenges of finding identity and purpose. Hickam captures the bumpy transition of realizing a childhood hobby into a lifelong dream. The excitement of the experiments, failed and successful, and dubious lengths that Homer and his friends go to in making their rockets fly is truly entertaining. His story also paints a poignant picture of family dynamics when the industrial age was giving way to the new space exploration era. A read you won't want to miss. ( )
  A.E.Martin | Jul 10, 2016 |
Best feel-good read I've had the pleasure of curling up with in a while. Fast-paced, believable, easy to read, and well-structured, this will pull you into a teenager's wonder, his flaws and disappointments. His arc is well-defined and he deftly captures scientific fascination as a natural human emotion. ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |
Homer "Sonny" Hickam grew up in a coal mining company town in West Virginia. He was 14 in 1957 when the Soviets launched their first Sputnik satellite. Like many people, he was deeply affected by that event, but unlike most, he immediately become convinced that building rockets was what he wanted to do with his life. He would eventually realize this dream in a career with NASA, but his path to that career started with a small group of boys and series of homemade rockets, which they built with very little knowledge but a lot of willingness to experiment.

I was interested in this book mostly because I was interested in rockets -- well, that, and I remembered liking the movie version -- but there's a lot more to this memoir than rockets. It's also a coming of age story, a memoir about family life with a workaholic father, and a glimpse into a way of life that was already vanishing even then. It's told extremely well, in a novelistic style, with a little touch of nerdiness and a lot of folksy charm. You really don't have to be interested in rockets at all to enjoy it. Although, seriously, how can you not be interested in rockets? ( )
1 vote bragan | May 31, 2015 |
Wonderful true story of a group of boys who didn't even do well in school, but when they got motivated were able to teach themselves what they needed to make their rockets and win a science fair.
  MartyBriggs | Jun 11, 2014 |
All one can really leave one's children is what's inside their heads. Education, in other words, and not earthly possessions, is the ultimate legacy, the only thing that cannot be taken away. - Dr. Wernher von Braun
All I've done is give you a book. You have to have the courage to learn what's inside it. - Miss Freida Joy Riley
To Mom and Dad and the people of Coalwood
Until I began to build and launch rockets, I didn't know my hometown was at war with itself over its children and that my parents were locked in a kind of bloodless combat over how my brother and I would live our lives.
This book was re-released under the title October Sky (an anagram of Rocket Boys).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385333218, Paperback)

Inspired by Werner von Braun and his Cape Canaveral team, 14-year-old Homer Hickam decided in 1957 to build his own rockets. They were his ticket out of Coalwood, West Virginia, a mining town that everyone knew was dying--everyone except Sonny's father, the mine superintendent and a company man so dedicated that his family rarely saw him. Hickam's smart, iconoclastic mother wanted her son to become something more than a miner and, along with a female science teacher, encouraged the efforts of his grandiosely named Big Creek Missile Agency. He grew up to be a NASA engineer and his memoir of the bumpy ride toward a gold medal at the National Science Fair in 1960--an unprecedented honor for a miner's kid--is rich in humor as well as warm sentiment. Hickam vividly evokes a world of close communal ties in which a storekeeper who sold him saltpeter warned, "Listen, rocket boy. This stuff can blow you to kingdom come." Hickam is candid about the deep disagreements and tensions in his parents' marriage, even as he movingly depicts their quiet loyalty to each other. The portrait of his ultimately successful campaign to win his aloof father's respect is equally affecting. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:48 -0400)

Homer Hickam, a NASA engineer, recounts his childhood in Coalwood, a West Virginia mining town, and discusses his dreams of launching rockets into outer space, and how he made those dreams come true.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,308,366 books! | Top bar: Always visible