Trauma by Patrick McGrath

Trauma (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Patrick McGrath

2071256,585 (3.44)7
Member:WordMaven
Title:Trauma
Authors:Patrick McGrath
Info:
Collections:Library book
Tags:Psychiatrists, PTSD, Vietnam, New York, relationships, divorce, death

Trauma by Patrick McGrath (2008)

I admit to being a little disappointed in this book. I've grown accustomed to some superb gothic-like, creepy books among this author's works. In this novel, I found the story of a troubled psychiatrist who lives in New York city. Where did the dark and wet nights of England go? Not the same! The setting may be equally as bleak for someone in despair, but this was not what I was hoping for.

That aside, I couldn't quite get into this story of an aging man, Charlie Weir, who divorced his wife Agnes after feeling responsibe for her brother Danny's suicide. He hooks up with Nora, another troubled individual but cannot give up his hope to return to his previous life with his ex-wife and their daughter Cassie, to whom he was very devoted.

The ending of the story was there to explain more in detail about Charlie Weir. For me, though, I'd just like to catch the next plane to England to look for more of the characters found in this authors's other books such as Spider, Grotesque, and Dr. Haggard's Disease. ( )
1 vote SqueakyChu | Apr 8, 2012 |
Taught prose, creating a genuine sense of foreboding as central character uncovers the 'trauma' that he carries into every part of his life. Style resonant of Paul Auster. Haunting, unsettling. ( )
  Parthurbook | Aug 4, 2010 |
I loved Asylum, but just couldn't make myself finish this book. It dragged on, in my opinion. ( )
  Boutabook | Mar 3, 2010 |
McGrath might be standing on familiar ground with Trauma but its no less brilliant for that. A psychiatrist who specialises in treating trauma cases finds his work coming too close to home. Seven years on, living with the remnants of a broken marriage, he finds himself in a fragile relationship which gradually begins to open old wounds. As far as McGrath's fiction goes its up there with Spider, Asylum or Dr. Haggard's Disease. ( )
  unapersson | Feb 6, 2010 |
To me, this is not an optimistic or uplifting book, although I didn't entirely understand the ending - maybe there's meant to be an optimism there that I didn't pick up on. It's essentially a story about a man who fails to connect with people around him, both in a professional sense (as a psychiatrist) and in a personal sense (as a lover, father, son, brother). What makes him like that, and the stories of all his dysfunctional relationships, makes interesting reading, perhaps more so if you're a person who is similarly deficient in the relationship department. ( )
  oldblack | Apr 11, 2009 |
For Maria
My mother's first depressive illness occurred when I was seven years old, and I felt it was my fault.

Growing up in a severely dysfunctional family, Charlie Weir builds a career as a psychiatrist in New York City, but the suicide of a patient, the breakup of his marriage, and a volatile other woman lead Charlie to question everything, even his own sanity.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,405,967 books! | Top bar: Always visible