The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks

The Guardian (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Nicholas Sparks

Member:bustamante
Title:The Guardian
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2005), Edition: 1st Paperback Edition, Paperback, 400 pages

The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks (2003)

English (69)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (72)
Eu vou ser breve, não gostei do livro. Já é o terceiro livro de Nicholas Sparks que eu leio mas, apesar dos livros anteriores até terem sido engraçadinhos, este detestei. Parece que entre 2006 e hoje passou uma vida e ler Nicholas Sparks agora foi uma experiência agonizante. Além disso o autor aventura-se num género diferente daquele que é o seu habitual, espalhando-se ao comprido ao fazê-lo, na minha opinião. Há um constante mudar de perspectivas, com intervalos de apenas parágrafos entre si. Isto é algo que funciona no cinema ou TV mas não em livros. Diálogos em vez de texto, um vilão mediano, vítimas irracionais, enfim... Nem o romance foi suficientemente interessante. Dei por mim a revirar os olhos tantas vezes que já pensei que tivesse um tique e se tiver que apontar alguma coisa boa será apenas a investigação da agente Jenniffer qualquer-coisa. Respeito quem gosta de ler Nicholas Sparks (este livro foi-me oferecido por um grande amigo meu que é fã) mas para mim chega.

Expectativa e estado de espírito: Já era a minha 2ª tentativa de pegar no livro e li-o mais por teimosia do que vontade.

Pontos positivos: A investigação da jovem polícia.

Pontos negativos: O enredo, a escrita.

Fez-me reflectir sobre: Psicopatas que perseguem pessoas. Direitos dos animais. ( )
  Telma_tx | Jul 30, 2018 |
A coworker lent me this book to read. It starts out slow and builds. This is probably due to the author admitting that he wanted to write a romantic suspense book where the romance rather than the suspense was at the forefront.

Widow Julie Berenson received a great dane puppy (Singer) shortly after her husband passed away. After 4 years, Julie is finally ready to start dating again, though she hasn't yet found anyone she wants more than a couple dates with--until Richard Franklin. Though Julie enjoys Richard's company, she quickly decides that there's no spark with him. Richard is reluctant to let go of his relationship with her, even though Julie's coworker Andrea would be happy to take him! While Richard is away on a short trip, Julie decides she can no longer ignore the feelings she has for her friend, Mike, and just hopes that dating him won't affect the friendship if it doesn't work out.

The novel highlights stalking behavior that while unsettling, unfortunately is not always something the police can do anything about unless there is great proof of the perpetrator. (Thank goodness one of the officers follows up on her own!) But at the same time, Julie makes some questionable choices. She lets her emotions rule her rationale and allows Richard to come into her home (after Singer bites him) when he gives her a sob story about his mother dying. She serves him at least 3 alcoholic beverages while he pours his story out to her, then, when he passes out or falls asleep on her couch, she just lets him stay there overnight. She goes for a walk with her dog in a secluded woods. She decides to confront Richard in a crowded bar when he hasn't done anything other than show up there (and since no one else there except Mike knows that they suspect he's stalking her, everyone thinks the two of them went off on him unprovoked).

Sparks's characters seem to do a lot of drinking. Sometimes they drive afterward, with no real discussion of drinking and driving.

I'm used to happy endings from Sparks--but this one has only a partial happy ending. There's a twist at the end (involving the idea of guardians) that I didn't see coming. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Apr 1, 2018 |
Finally have a little break from my busy schedule and finished this book. Ahhh...definitely another master piece from Nicholas Sparks. I know some people hated the book. But I also know in every Sparks book there's always something sad and bad that is going to happen. So I expected it and still love it.

anacskie | Dec 22, 2017 |

anacskie | Dec 22, 2017 |
I know I've read this book before. Published in 2003, so likely before I was keeping this spreadsheet. Julie's husband died and left her with a Great Dane puppy to keep her company. Now, 4 years later, Julie is living in Swansboro, North Carolina and becomes embroiled in things she never imagined.
  nancynova | Jul 23, 2017 |
For Larry Kirshbaum and Maureen Egen Wonderful people, wonderful friends
Exactly forty days after she'd last held the hand of her husband, Julie Barenson sat looking through her window toward the quiet streets of Swansboro.

Julie Barenson's young husband left her two unexpected gifts before he died - a Great Dane puppy named Singer and the promise that he would always be watching over her. Now four years have passed. Still living in the small town of Swansboro, North Carolina, twenty-nine-year-old Julie is emotionally ready to make a commitment to someone again. But who? Should it be Richard Franklin, the handsome, sophisticated engineer who treats her like a queen? Or Mike Harris, the down-to-earth nice guy who was her husband's best friend? Choosing one of them should bring her more happiness than she's had in years. Instead, Julie is soon fighting for her life in a nightmare spawned by a chilling deception and jealousy so poisonous that it has become a murderous desire...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:17 -0400)

Four years after losing her husband, twenty-nine-year-old Julie Barenson considers falling in love again and wonders if she should choose sophisticated Richard, who treats her like a queen, or down-to-earth Mike, who is her best friend.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,708,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible