Myths to Live By by Joseph Campbell

Myths to Live By (original 1972; edition 1984)

by Joseph Campbell

Member:the_darling_copilots
Title:Myths to Live By
Authors:Joseph Campbell
Info:Bantam (1984), Mass Market Paperback

Myths to Live By by Joseph Campbell (1972)

Recently added byprivate library, -sunny-, MikeKubisek, vrullan, cuppy42, Ktgoss
Legacy LibrariesDavid Foster Wallace, Ralph Ellison

A good study on the myths that different cultures share and what we can gain from them. ( )
  Kurt.Rocourt | Jun 20, 2013 |
Very few understand myth as does Campbell. Even fewer love myths as he does and even less understand how trenchant mythic truth really is. Read this book and attempt to live by these myths and you will affect society more than you can imagine. ( )
1 vote millsge | Nov 26, 2009 |
We've been bombarded with the "hero's journey" and starry-eyed explanations of modern movies with the steps intercut. However, this book still has magic for me, in affirming the heroic nature of our lives, in assuring us our path has been walked before, and in allowing ourselves to make difficult decisions. Most of all, it brought about for me that rare feeling of connectivity, of being part of this world, and impressed with it. ( )
1 vote mr.lewis | May 27, 2009 |
At the time he wrote these essays, Campbell was a professor on a campus, surrounded by young people whom he found hard to understand. For example, in his essay "The Moon Walk--the Outward Journey" he relates his own feelings of awe on viewing the Apollo moon landing and contrasts them with the reaction of a student who wrote "So What" on a photo of the moon landing posted on a campus bulletin board. In another essay "Schizophrenia--the Inward Journey" he contrasts the use of mind-altering drugs by shamans and psychotics (including the LSD induced version) as the difference between divers and non-swimmers in "the waters of the unviersal archetypes of mythology."

"Mythologies of War and Peace" addresses the underlying belief systems of participants in the Mideast crises. Campbell says that "killing is the precondition of all living whatsoever: life lives on life, eats life, and would not otherwise exist...it is the nations, tribes, and peoples bred to mythologies of war that have survived to communicate their life-supporting mythic lore to descendents." He suggests that "we" in the West "have been bred to one of the most brutal war mythologies of all time." He cites Deuteronomy and Isaiah and follows with excerpts from the Koran such as Sura 2, verse 216.."Fighting is prescribed for you." ( )
1 vote LTW | Sep 2, 2006 |

Joseph Campbellprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fairchild, Johnson E.Forewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Robinson, StuartCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I was sitting the other day at a lunch counter that I particularly enjoy, when a youngster about twelve years old, arriving with his school satchel, took the place at my left.

Examines the myth-making process since primitive times to demonstrate the ways in which specific myths reflect human needs.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,489,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible