The art of happiness : a handbook for living…

The art of happiness : a handbook for living (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Dalai Lama XIV Bstan-ʾdzin-rgya-mtsho

Member:amyvancura
Title:The art of happiness : a handbook for living
Authors:Dalai Lama XIV Bstan-ʾdzin-rgya-mtsho
Info:New York : Riverhead Books, 1998.

The Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama XIV (1998)

English (44)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (46)
An attempt to point out connections between Buddhist spirituality and cognitive behavioral therapy, this book is okay, but it's mostly common sense. I thought the discussion of proximity to suffering in Western (developed nations) and developing nations was noteworthy. Suffering is a natural part of life when it is obvious in a society. When we are removed from people groups who are suffering, as often happens in the West, we see suffering as a source of unhappiness and discontent. Therefore, when we suffer, we are fighting something that we might be better off accepting as a normal state of being. The only difficulty I have with this philosophy is that it assumes the human being is innately good. That's just not my worldview. I'm pretty sure our hearts are evil. Any goodness in me is the working of Christ in my life. ( )
  MsKathleen | Jan 29, 2018 |
The conversations throughout the book about happiness, life, and love resonated with me and caused me to think about these concepts in different ways. Peace to all! ( )
  CherieKephart | Aug 3, 2017 |
Plenty of food for thought. Lots of deep insight. I like the emphasis on Compassion. ( )
  jvgravy | Nov 1, 2016 |
One of the important things to realize about this book is that it is not written by the Dalai Lama himself, but by Dr. Howard C. Cutler, a professional psychologist, and is based on his numerous conversations with the Dalai Lama.

Dr. Cutler provides the "western", science-based perspective on the Buddhist monk's teachings. When the Dalai Lama is quoted in the book it makes for fascinating reading. His insights are full of common sense, good will, and practicality.

Dr. Cutler I feel is a good stand – in for western way of thinking, but I find his naiveté gets a little irritating after a while. Also his constant need to ask, what boil down to, very basic questions and incessantly repeating, “How would a non - Buddhist do this or that?” is often tedious. These are questions the average person might ask and while that is all well and good I feel it is the author's responsibility to dig deeper and ask the questions we as readers might not think of.

This is an interesting book and it would serve as an introduction to the teachings of the Dalai Lama. ( )
  Arkrayder | Sep 20, 2016 |
DNF @ 15%

I mistakenly thought this was a book by His Holiness the Dalai Lama, who is listed as one of the authors - or the only authors in some book databases - but it is not. This book was written by Howard C. Cutler, a psychiatrist, who spent one week with the Dalai Lama, and then used his interviews with the Dalai Lama as a basis for this book.
Now, once I found out that I was mislead by the book, I still wanted to read on and see what the author had to say. Unfortunately, I was quickly put off by two - in my opinion major - logical flaws in the construction of the book's premise:

1. The author provides the following motivation behind writing the book:

"When I initially conceived of this book, I envisioned a conventional self-help format in which the Dalai Lama would present clear and simple solutions to all life’s problems. I felt that, using my background in psychiatry, I could codify his views in a set of easy instructions on how to conduct one’s daily life. By the end of our series of meetings I had given up on that idea. I found that his approach encompassed a much broader and more complex paradigm, incorporating all the nuance, richness, and complexity that life has to offer."

You see, my problem is that the Dalai Lama's books, speeches and other communications are pretty easy to understand. He has a particular skill to explain complex issues in simple terms, but then simplicity is one of the essential elements in his way of life.

The other issue I had with the author's statement is that I find the approach of trying to create a dogma from a Buddhist point of view a rather ridiculous idea. If there ever was a spritual teaching whose essence is that it is wholly un-dogmatic and un-codified, it would be Buddhism, but then maybe I am just getting the wrong end of the stick.

2. The author's approach in this book is to try and combine Western science with the Dalai Lama's interpretations/teachings. Again, this is a flawed approach when early on in the book, the author includes the following quotation:

"In trying to determine the source of one’s problems, it seems that the Western approach differs in some respects from the Buddhist approach. Underlying all Western modes of analysis is a very strong rationalistic tendency – an assumption that everything can be accounted for. And on top of that, there are constraints created by certain premises that are taken for granted."

Basically, the Dalai Lama tried to explain that a Western approach which is mostly based on science is restricted in its understanding of the human condition. So, why the author tries to combine, or back up, the topics discussed from a Buddhist perspective in this book with references to Western scientific research (for which he often does not cite sources!!!) is totally beyond me.

Can't recommend this at all. ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |
The Art of Happiness is the result of collaboration between psychiatrist Howard Cutler and His Holiness the Dalai Lama. It is a blend of the Dalai Lama’s thoughts on various issues and Cutler’s personal and scientific reflections on them.
added by mikeg2 | editCity Wire, Tom Butler-Bowden (Jun 20, 2011)

Dalai Lama XIVprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cutler, Howard C.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to the Reader:
May you find happiness.
I believe that the very purpose of our life is to seek happiness.

Te vaak plaatsen facetten van ons leven - relaties, gezondheid, welvaart en zo verder - ons voor obstakels, die we het hoofd moeten bieden. De kunst van het geluk, dat de Dalai Lama schreef samen met psychiater Howard Cutler, is een handleiding. Meer dan 2500 jaar boeddhistische kennis en helder inzicht bieden hulp hij dagelijkse problemen. Door gesprekken, verhalen en meditaties maakt de Dalai Lama duidelijk hoe we angst, onzekerheid, woede en moedeloosheid kunnen overwinnen.
'Een boek waar velen enorm veel kracht uit zullen putten om te streven naar wat binnen ieders handbereik ligt: geluk.' Tïencls
De Dalai Lama geldt als een van de grootste denkers en spiritueel leiders van de twintigste eeuw. Zijn vele boeken worden over de gehele wereld gelezen. Van De kunst van het geluk zijn al bijna 100.000 exemplaren verkocht. Ook Open je hart is verschenen als Rainbow Pocket.

In this unique and important book, one of the wold's great spiritual leaders offers his practical wisdom and advice on how we can overcome everyday human problems and achieve lasting happiness.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:40 -0400)

One of the world's greatest spiritual leaders teams up with a psychiatrist to share, for the first time, how he achieved his hard-won serenity and how readers can attain the same inner peace.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,990,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible