The Great Santini by Pat Conroy

The Great Santini (original 1976; edition 1987)

by Pat Conroy

1,540364,768 (4)74
Member:ogzy97
Title:The Great Santini
Authors:Pat Conroy
Info:Bantam (1987), Edition: 6th ptg., Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Read in 2013

The Great Santini by Pat Conroy (1976)

English (35)  German (1)  All (36)
This book had a huge effect on me, to the point that I could barely stand to finish reading it. I detested the Great Santini and I really do not like Pat Conroy for the boundless, endless, limitless stream of excuses he will make for his father. What a horrible bunch of people, what a lot of excuse-making, what a dreadful tale. It gets four stars because it certainly did make an impression on me, and no one could logically say Conroy is a bad writer. Completely lacking in logic and any insight into himself, sure, but he's a good writer. I had managed to forget about this book, and now it's back in my head, dammit. ( )
  Tonestaple | Jan 9, 2017 |
Wonderful. ( )
  Laura_Drake | Aug 19, 2016 |
Read this one may years ago while living in Atlanta and working at Chapter 11 Books. Second time around was even better, listened to the audio version on my kindle.

Conroy is not only a first rate storyteller, he is a master of description. The story main character is Lt. Col Bull Meacham: a marine, a husband a father and a friend. Bull is a top notch Marine pilot who leads men. He tries to be a good husband and father but treating his family like they are cadets is not the best course of action. His wife defends him and knows he has a softer side that the children rarely see. She also knows his triggers and when it is wiser to back down. He is so strict his children fear him but deep down they also love him.

You want to hate Bull and despise his wife but then you come to understand and ultimately respect this man. His eldest son, Ben, hates his father and all he stands for yet there is a point in the story once pushed by his sister he does exactly what Bull Meacham would of done in the same situation.

yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
Enjoyed parts of this book but found Conroy's use of language overly florid and too many parts of the novel were poorly integrated. Many of the characters are stereotypes or charicatures. Overall, I was disappointed with the book. I expected it to be more of a worthwhile read since the book had been made into a movie (I've not seen it). I think the movie might possibly be better than the book... ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |
Lt. Col. "Bull" Meecham is a Marine pilot who worships God and the Marine Corp with the latter taking priority. He is a no-nonsense Marine harsh disciplinarian who manages his wife and four children in a similar manner as he does his squadron he currently commands in Ravanel, S.C., which includes surprise inspections and impromptu war games.

This novel is also a coming of age story about Ben, the eldest child in the Meecham familly, a high school senior who has moved so many times in the military that he doesn't know the meaning of home. Both Bull and Ben find it difficulty expressing love with each other.

Pat Conroy's use of the English language is so beautiful, that I have heard some describing it as being "musical." The characters in this quasi-autobiography, especially Bull; Ben; Lillian, Bull's wife: and Mary Ann, the eldest sister, are multifaceted. One has to peel back the layers to see what motivates each of them. My emotional response to Bull ranged from hatred, pity, admiration, love, etc. similar to those expressed by the family members probably because my father reminded me somewhat of Bull. I highly recommend this novel as a fine example of Southern literature. ( )
  John_Warner | Jan 19, 2016 |

Conroy, Patprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hazenberg, AnneliesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tämä kirja on omistettu
rakkaudella ja kiitoksin Frances "Peggy" Conroylle,
äideistä ja opettajista suurimmalle,
ja eversti Donald Conroylle, evp., isistä
ja merijalkaväen lentäjistä suurimmalle.
In the Cordova hotel, near the docks of Barcelona, fourteen Marine Corps fighter pilots from the aircraft carrier Forrestal were throwing an obstreperously spirited going away party for Lieutenant Colonel Bull Meecham, the executive officer of their carrier based squadron.

Step into the powerhouse life of Bull Meecham. He’s all Marine—fighter pilot, king of the clouds, and absolute ruler of his family. Lillian is his wife—beautiful, southern-bred, with a core of velvet steel. Without her cool head, her kids would be in real trouble. Ben is the oldest, a born athlete whose best never satisfies the big man. Ben’s got to stand up, even fight back, against a father who doesn’t give in—not to his men, not to his wife, and certainly not to his son. Bull Meecham is undoubtedly Pat Conroy’s most explosive character—a man you should hate, but a man you will love.

Look for special features inside.
Join the Circle for author chats and more.
RandomHouseReadersCircle.com

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:31 -0400)

Marine pilot Bull Meecham's stern and unyielding personality challenges his southern-bred gentle wife and his top athlete son to stand up and fight back against the hard knocks of life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,893,435 books! | Top bar: Always visible