The Great Santini by Pat Conroy

The Great Santini (original 1976; edition 1987)

by Pat Conroy

1,308None5,938 (4.01)53
Member:ogzy97
Title:The Great Santini
Authors:Pat Conroy
Info:Bantam (1987), Edition: 6th ptg., Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Read in 2013

The Great Santini by Pat Conroy (1976)

Bull Meecham a man who is hard to love, hard to understand yet, somehow gets into your heart. Rich characters. descriptions and full of Southern ways ( )
  foof2you | Jan 6, 2014 |
This one's a "Classic." Laughing out loud (even sitting alone in public) gets 4 stars before we even start. I couldn't give it 5 stars because of the un-politically correct, not to mention offensive, language that is a sign of it being written in 1976. Make a note of that before I tell everyone how much I enjoyed it. ( )
  librarygeek33 | Dec 13, 2013 |
A wonderfully readable portrayal of a complex man and his complex relationship with his son. ( )
  cmasson17 | Dec 5, 2013 |
This is another emotional roller coaster from Conroy. It mostly concerns the conflicted relationship between a father, a military aviator, and his son. Reading this book, you will grow to have the same near-hatred of the father as his son does, but at the book's end, you may be amazed at the emotions you feel. As usual with Conroy, the book is full of great scenes. ( )
  datrappert | Nov 21, 2013 |
Probably the most difficult story I've ever read about people who are so insecure so self obsessed that they ruins the lives of everyone around them in a tornado blinding action of utter blind destruction.

For about one hundred pages I could not put the book down and then I had to. This by any means is a slight on the author or the novel. In fact it doesn't happen very often that I have to stop reading a book because the content is too vivid too natural and all to familiar. The only other novel I've ever had to do this with is The Nature of Monsters by Clare Clark. With that novel I will continue reading until I've been able to pull myself through. Not so with this one.

Perhaps it is a personal statement not to be willing, admire or be interested in those human beings who, although blind and destructive, still deserve a place on our planet. What can I say about the writing, which is clear, concise and very very direct: it works. It works the way it should in that it transmits the lives of others directly into your own. ( )
  TheCriticalTimes | Aug 15, 2013 |

Pat Conroyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hazenberg, AnneliesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tämä kirja on omistettu
rakkaudella ja kiitoksin Frances "Peggy" Conroylle,
äideistä ja opettajista suurimmalle,
ja eversti Donald Conroylle, evp., isistä
ja merijalkaväen lentäjistä suurimmalle.
In the Cordova hotel, near the docks of Barcelona, fourteen Marine Corps fighter pilots from the aircraft carrier Forrestal were throwing an obstreperously spirited going away party for Lieutenant Colonel Bull Meecham, the executive officer of their carrier based squadron.

Step into the powerhouse life of Bull Meecham. He’s all Marine—fighter pilot, king of the clouds, and absolute ruler of his family. Lillian is his wife—beautiful, southern-bred, with a core of velvet steel. Without her cool head, her kids would be in real trouble. Ben is the oldest, a born athlete whose best never satisfies the big man. Ben’s got to stand up, even fight back, against a father who doesn’t give in—not to his men, not to his wife, and certainly not to his son. Bull Meecham is undoubtedly Pat Conroy’s most explosive character—a man you should hate, but a man you will love.

Look for special features inside.
Join the Circle for author chats and more.
RandomHouseReadersCircle.com

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:48 -0400)

Marine pilot Bull Meecham's stern and unyielding personality challenges his southern-bred gentle wife and his top athlete son to stand up and fight back against the hard knocks of life.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,487,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible