Tracks by Louise Erdrich

Tracks (original 1988; edition 1988)

by Louise Erdrich

Member:malinablue
Title:Tracks
Authors:Louise Erdrich
Info:Henry Holt & Co (1988), Hardcover, 226 pages
Tags:fiction, native american, magical realism and fantastic, novels, bedroom library

Tracks by Louise Erdrich (1988)

English (26)  Spanish (1)  All languages (27)
Man, what a trippy read. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Just really sucked me in in a way that is rare for me, and wouldn't let go. It's beautifully written, as are most Erdrich's works, and I think the more you read about this world she's crafted, the better you understand what's happening and the more pieces open up. This was just really, truly beautiful and lovely, and made me want to read more about all of these characters way more than I felt I wanted to before. Really, really beautiful, and I think a really accessible place to enter this narrative, as the characters are relatively limited and I felt like had a stronger grasp of what was going on. ( )
  aijmiller | Nov 13, 2018 |
Not since Marlon James', The Book of Night Women, have I read a book with so much raw energy and stark honesty, albeit well adorned in the ethereal trappings of native American culture. Moreover, the book is chockablock with complex and highly diverse female characters. A key one is one of the two narrators of the book's story, but even her essential, highly dramatic role is overshadowed by the stunning, unforgettable, Fleur. I will know America has reached a new level in recognizing the complexities of women in our society when Hollywood can make a faithful and successful movie based on this book. I'm very much looking forward to reading more books by this author. ( )
  larryerick | Apr 26, 2018 |
This is quite an intimate novel. Two narrators, an old man and a young woman. Almost all the action is among maybe a dozen folks, a few families. The Chippewa are losing their land to lumber companies by various legal games. Some families come out winners, some losers. The writing reminded me of Faulkner in its visceral intensity. ( )
1 vote kukulaj | Apr 23, 2016 |
A fascinating insight into the lives of Native Americans in Dakota in the 1910s - this was highly educational about the lives, traditions, beliefs etc of the characters, but a tough read. It was hard to follow at times, and to work out what was actually happening and what was surreal. It was quite a visceral novel - lots of hunting, gutting, skinning etc, and in time to come I suspect this is the abiding image of this novel that will stay with me. ( )
1 vote jayne_charles | Mar 5, 2016 |
Michael, The story comes up different every time and has no ending but always begins with you.
We started dying before the snow, and like the snow, we continued to fall.

Set in North Dakota at a time in the past century when Indian tribes were struggling to keep what little remained of their lands, Tracks is a tale of passion and deep unrest. Over the course of ten crucial years, as tribal land and trust between people erode ceaselessly, men and women are pushed to the brink of their endurance—yet their pride and humor prohibit surrender. The reader will experience shock and pleasure in encountering characters that are compelling and rich in their vigor, clarity, and indomitable vitality.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:23 -0400)

In this third novel of a cycle, Louise Erdrich resumes the story of a group of Chippewa Indians and their culture under siege in a white man's world. For better readers. The cycle began with Love Medicine (1984) and continued with The Beet Queen (1986).

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,270,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible